BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-09-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Our next X: X5 sDrive 35i w/MPPK delivered

First off, I just have to say thanks to the leaders in this forum, guys like wdimagineer, opasha, r33, zipforia, chrisny, and others. You guys are an invaluable source of info – the collective on this site knows more than the CAs and SAs at the dealership – and all the threads really helped when picking out options.

So last weekend I took delivery of our X5 which I got for my wife as our new family hauler. The X5 replaces our 2011 X3 35i which we’ve loved, but my wife has a really bad back and wanted something more comfortable. Our build:
X5 sDrive 35i M Sport
Black Sapphire with Ivory/Black Dakota leather
Premium Package
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus
Cold Weather Package
Lighting Package
Multi-contour seats
Nappa Leather Dashboard
Rear Seat Entertainment
Harmon Kardon Surround System
Ceramic Controls
Comfort rear seats
4-zone automatic climate control

Accessories
M Performance Power Kit
M Performance kidney grilles
Powder coat wheels
Ceramic Tint

First impressions are WOW this SUV is better than expected! We love it more each day as we discover how more things work. We got the MPPK hoping it would help improve the acceleration so it was closer to our old X3. We’re still breaking it in so it’s hard to say if the mission was accomplished 100% and from reading the 335i forum it sounds like it will improve as we put more miles on it. You can definitely feel the difference on the highway though!

We ended up skipping the 20’s as my wife didn’t like the ride; she said it was too firm. Not that the 20’s are harsh – I’d say the ride was on par with our X3 with the 19” sport wheels, but we were able to test drive both beforehand and my wife wanted the softer feel of the 19’s. We powder-coated the 19’s satin black, which totally transformed the look of the SUV. Combined with the black kidneys it looks much more aggressive now. I included a pic of the X5 when it arrived at my dealer so you can see the difference.

My only gripe is that the leather dash doesn’t have the contrasting stitching like the interior design packages. I’m still trying to figure out how to get videos on my son’s iPod to play in the back – it works fine on my Android phone.

Can’t wait for the break-in period to be over so we can really test the MPPK though!!

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Hey sand99! Congrats on the new car! I actually really dislike those wheels, but after you powder coated them with the satin black, I was absolutely amazed! They look fantastic with your black sapphire color. Great job on that . Also, thanks for the shout out; we're always glad to help, my friend!

As for the ipod. I'm still doing some research regarding this, and I will post back if I find something more, but first you can try this from this older X5 regarding the ipod using the RCA cables for the DVD player http://www.xoutpost.com/840683-post22.html.

A lot of people have mentioned that ipod integration can't happen due to the DVD player system, but I'll try finding a loophole. I did remember in the coding forums a few months ago regarding this being a topic of discussion. If someone with more knowledge regarding this can chime in, they may be able to figure out a way to code this solution.
      06-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

Nice X5! The Msport really makes the F15 look so much better in my opinion..

Re: M Performance Power Kit - what does this actually include in the performance? I see on your last picture that displays the HP and TQ.. does MPPK boost the HP and TQ to 400?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Appears you got your newest wheels pretty quick. The only chrome I see is the tail pipes, wheels look sharp. I really hope the seats accommodates your wife. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the link opasha! Not sure that still applies or not, seems like they made some changes to rear seat entertainment. When ordering my wireless headphones I noticed there were 2 versions available depending on your model year.

Videos play fine when I use my HTC One plugged up via the USB port back there. My SHIELD worked too, but for some reason I can only search through playlists, music, and podcasts when I use his iPod. I haven't updated his iPod to iOS 7 but I don't know if that makes a difference. I'll try the iPhone and iPad next I guess, but so far seems like my Android devices work fine but the Apple devices won't which is kind of ironic! I haven't tried using the RCA jacks (wish BMW included an HDMI instead honestly).

Agreed on the stock 19's by the way! I was not a fan of them and tried to convince her to switch to 469M. They look so much better once they were powder coated though. A couple of ppl picking up their cars complimented us on them and one of the salesmen even took pics with his phone so he could show them to his client who has an X5 on order.

kzang: BMW only claims the MPPK adds 20 horsepower and 32 ft/lb torque, but those figures are highly conservative based on user results. MPPK also improves the throttle response. **I think** the sport display reads 320/320 normally on the stock engine.

We don't get the goodies that the 335i owners w/MPPK get though. Their kit also includes a new engine cover and intake.

I didn't want to wait for the Dinan kit as my wife wanted everything done on day 1. I'm hoping I can talk her into adding the M Performance exhaust at some point though! Painted reflectors and a few other goodies too.

barcelona: Thanks, she's already told me to get used to sitting in the passenger seat for awhile so she's definitely enjoying it so far!

Our build went super fast this time. We ordered on 4/30 and were in production by 5/20! When placing the order I was told it would be an early June production slot so we weren't supposed to get it until the end of June. Only thing I can figure is someone cancelled their order and I got their slot but my CA wouldn't say.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Nice ride man, congrats! I'd say you did pretty good for a "family hauler." I agree with what was said above, those 19's look far better black than bright silver. Enjoy the new vehicle man!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

@sand99, that's why I love Android! . I used to have an iPhone 4 for a little bit after my G1 died due to my friend pushing me into a swimming pool; I absolutely hated its limitations (no offense to iPhone lovers ). Test the iPad and iPhone and report back. It might just be a limitation of Apple products.

Also, make sure you spray some Lexol or something to protect that Nappa. My cousin was telling me that such high quality leather will definitely degrade/rip if you don't keep it coated with a protectant of some kind. That's why I'm kind of happy with the Dakota since it seems tougher, but Nappa is definitely more comfortable.

Dinan is the only kit that offers the best/probably only warranty after your BMW warranty expires, which is nice. I'm thinking of doing the upgrade for mine when it comes out adding 50-100 or so extra hp - X5 M in disguise ? You can ask r33 about other tunes. He did one and it added 50 hp I believe. He says it def made a difference in terms of throttle response and hp increase.
      06-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #8
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Seems like this is more complicated than I thought it was. My Galaxy S3 doesn't work either -- I can browse all the folders on my phone but it says the directories are all empty when they're not.

The iPad 3 almost worked. I can actually hear the audio, but no video. It's like it can't read the .MOV files or something. iPhone 5S is like the iPod where it finds the music, playlists, and podcasts but not video files.

Fortunately it can play videos off my USB thumb drives just fine so that's the method I'll use for now when not using the DVD drive. I just ordered an HDMI-to-RCA adapter off Amazon, we'll see if that works when it gets here.

My seats are dakota leather like yours opasha. But yes, the moment I got home I used Lexol cleaner and conditioner followed by 303. I'll continue to do this monthly. This routine worked well with my X3, which had oyster leather.

One interesting surprise I wasn't expecting with the Nappa dash option was that it also included the top of the door (above the trim) too. BMW does such a poor job of documenting their features sometimes!

Yeah, r33 is running Juicebox stage 4 IIRC. There are quite a few F30 owners who have mixed the MPPK with Juicebox with great results. Not sure if I'd go that route though since I want to keep my warranty.

Your 50i is a BEAST though! In fact, I used our 50i test drive to justify the MPPK to my wife. You'd definitely have a sleeper X5M if you added Dinan on top of it!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
senoromar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i M-Sport

Wow what a difference the wheels and grille makes, looks great!

I have a question about the MPPK. Does it also add an exhaust "burble" sound? I'm really interested in adding the MPPK for the extra juice and throttle response but hope it doesn't make the car noticeably louder. I saw this video of a 335i with MPPK and was really turned off by the sound:

Any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand99 View Post
Seems like this is more complicated than I thought it was. My Galaxy S3 doesn't work either -- I can browse all the folders on my phone but it says the directories are all empty when they're not.

The iPad 3 almost worked. I can actually hear the audio, but no video. It's like it can't read the .MOV files or something. iPhone 5S is like the iPod where it finds the music, playlists, and podcasts but not video files.

Fortunately it can play videos off my USB thumb drives just fine so that's the method I'll use for now when not using the DVD drive. I just ordered an HDMI-to-RCA adapter off Amazon, we'll see if that works when it gets here.

My seats are dakota leather like yours opasha. But yes, the moment I got home I used Lexol cleaner and conditioner followed by 303. I'll continue to do this monthly. This routine worked well with my X3, which had oyster leather.

One interesting surprise I wasn't expecting with the Nappa dash option was that it also included the top of the door (above the trim) too. BMW does such a poor job of documenting their features sometimes!

Yeah, r33 is running Juicebox stage 4 IIRC. There are quite a few F30 owners who have mixed the MPPK with Juicebox with great results. Not sure if I'd go that route though since I want to keep my warranty.

Your 50i is a BEAST though! In fact, I used our 50i test drive to justify the MPPK to my wife. You'd definitely have a sleeper X5M if you added Dinan on top of it!!
Hm, that's interesting. Could it be to the type of files they were? I know .mp4, .avi, and .mkv get played without issue. I did have my car coded to allow video playback via usb and dvd in motion since I don't have the rear entertainment package. I've only obviously been able to use usb. I should connect my Note 3 next time to see if I can play any video off of that via usb cable. There's two things you can try: 1) code your car to allow different playback file types (not sure if that is even relevant to the rear entertainment system) 2) convert the file types to a playable version such as .avi, .mp4, or .mkv if this is the cause.

I totally missed the Dakota leather that you listed, my bad . The Lexol idea came from my cousin even for my Dakota leather, so I should probably get on that as well, lol. Yes, the Nappa finish on your dash and sides is a nice touch for sure. Remember, we tend to know more than our dealers these days, unfortunately.

I agree about the warranty and not to void it. Also, that was a very smart thing to convince the wife in order to get the MPPK, lol .

I really don't like my dealer license plate frame so I ended up buying this for the front and back. It comes this thursday, so I'll take pictures of how it looks on my X5. The chrome finish should match my chrome accents of my outer grille and roof rails nicely.

06-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Nkbm82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750i

Definitely like the wheels better in black, looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Congrats!! The satin black makes the 19's look bigger some how, well done!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The RSE mystery deepens. So I can play the .MOV files on my HTC One no problem! I can use the remote control to go back and forth through all the videos on my HTC phone.

Nothing plays on my Galaxy S3 regardless of file format -- it just can't find the videos. It's acting just like the iPod and iPhone. iPad 3 plays audio but no video.

I'd probably need to call BMW Genius to get it working I guess.

Yep, my license frames came in yesterday along with the wireless headphones. My wife wanted the black ///M frames.

senoromar: Nope, no exhaust burble. However, we've only got 125 miles on the odometer at this point, and all the F3x owners say the burble gets louder as you put more miles on it. I may not have enough miles, as the MPPK needs time to break in too.

The F15 MPPK kit doesn't come with the revised intake that the F3x owners get. So it's possible the intake may be responsible for their exhaust burble they hear. No engine cover either. The F15 MPPK kit literally fits in an envelope!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

That's interesting. Well, I hope the audio/video issues get sorted out for you.

Good choice on the black M license plate frame! I actually saw a bunch of those on other BMW's and it looked quite good. That will definitely go nicely with your blacked out X5 .
      06-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@sand99, what a clean car. Congrats!!
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Nope, no exhaust burble. However, we've only got 125 miles on the odometer at this point, and all the F3x owners say the burble gets louder as you put more miles on it. I may not have enough miles, as the MPPK needs time to break in too.

The F15 MPPK kit doesn't come with the revised intake that the F3x owners get. So it's possible the intake may be responsible for their exhaust burble they hear. No engine cover either. The F15 MPPK kit literally fits in an envelope!
Curious what your impressions are of the MPPK now that you have more miles.
I just gave the green light to my dealer to order the MPPK and M Exhaust for our soon to be delivered 35i. Like you, wanted everything installed at delivery.
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kief View Post
I just gave the green light to my dealer to order the MPPK and M Exhaust for our soon to be delivered 35i. Like you, wanted everything installed at delivery.
I'm also curious about the value/benefit of the MPPK, can anyone speak to the power boost vs fuel economy? It translates to a 7% increase in hp and 11% in torque which doesn't seem that significant.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Still loving the MPPK! In fact, my wife now wants to get the M Performance Exhaust for her X5 too!! It's funny because I told her she was going to regret not getting the exhaust when we added the MPPK to our order, but at the time she thought it sounded too aggressive. I convinced her to wait on the M exhaust until we see what Dinan does. I'm curious to see if it makes more power than the MPE.

Again, the MPPK gets better as you put more miles on it. The exhaust is also a smidge deeper than stock with MPPK.

After the HUD, this is my 2nd favorite option that we got on the vehicle. The X5 35i really should come stock with the MPPK IMO. The engine is much more responsive, and I don't feel like I'm driving a nearly 5,000 lb vehicle.

As far as value goes, the MPPK is pretty pricey compared to the aftermarket solutions. If you want maximum bang for your buck, Juicebox would be the way to go I think. The nice thing about the MPPK is you can always add the Juicebox to it if you want even more power at some point. But as I stated in the original post, my wife wanted everything factory, and everything installed at the dealer so she could enjoy her SUV on day 1.

ramsal: I wouldn't go by the stock numbers BMW states for the MPPK. Many F30 MPPK owners in the forums have dyno'ed it and it's underrated.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #19
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Still loving the MPPK! In fact, my wife now wants to get the M Performance Exhaust for her X5 too!! It's funny because I told her she was going to regret not getting the exhaust when we added the MPPK to our order, but at the time she thought it sounded too aggressive. I convinced her to wait on the M exhaust until we see what Dinan does. I'm curious to see if it makes more power than the MPE.

Again, the MPPK gets better as you put more miles on it. The exhaust is also a smidge deeper than stock with MPPK.

After the HUD, this is my 2nd favorite option that we got on the vehicle. The X5 35i really should come stock with the MPPK IMO. The engine is much more responsive, and I don't feel like I'm driving a nearly 5,000 lb vehicle.

As far as value goes, the MPPK is pretty pricey compared to the aftermarket solutions. If you want maximum bang for your buck, Juicebox would be the way to go I think. The nice thing about the MPPK is you can always add the Juicebox to it if you want even more power at some point. But as I stated in the original post, my wife wanted everything factory, and everything installed at the dealer so she could enjoy her SUV on day 1.

ramsal: I wouldn't go by the stock numbers BMW states for the MPPK. Many F30 MPPK owners in the forums have dyno'ed it and it's underrated.
Thanks for the update.
My X5 arrived yesterday, but I can't p/u until Monday and hopefully with the MPPK and M Exhaust installed (long story, Parts guy didn't order the parts in time, despite me giving him the green light weeks ago). I hope to give my impression soon. Yeah, there are cheaper options, but with my luck, I'd have a warranty issue denied.
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #20
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Thanks for the update.
My X5 arrived yesterday, but I can't p/u until Monday and hopefully with the MPPK and M Exhaust installed (long story, Parts guy didn't order the parts in time, despite me giving him the green light weeks ago). I hope to give my impression soon. Yeah, there are cheaper options, but with my luck, I'd have a warranty issue denied.
Congratulations! Go in the shop and snap some pictures of the install. They won't say no.
      10-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #21
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update.
Congrats! You're going to wonder about it for the first 150 miles or so. That's normal. Once you get past 200 it really starts opening up!

Sucks that you have to wait until Monday. Going to be a long weekend for you...It's worth it though!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #22
OuKEnFoLdMX
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

one question , sand 99, the M Performance Power Kit, its a software upgrade? what you get when you buy mppk for the F15 35i? does the dealer have to order the kit, or just make the software upgrade and ready to go? thank
Appreciate 0