BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
JayM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Anyone install a reverse light rear view camera

I have a 2008 135 vert and those that have one know how horrible rear visibility is. I do not have backup sensors and a recent change in where/how I park is becoming bothersome without a rearview camera (especially after having another vehicle with it). I know, people will say that you should know how to judge where the rear of the car is, etc. but I just want to install a camera to be 100% sure each and every time. So I ordered a camera that mounts in place of one of the license plate lights, a wireless transmitter/receiver and a 5" lcd monitor. I am not looking for an elegant install of the monitor, will just leave it in the space behind the cupholders. I connected it all together with each part where it will be mounted (but wired to standard 12-volt plugs and not into the cars wiring) and it actually works really well. So now I want to install the camera into the cars wiring. My main preference would be to wire the camera so it is on when the car is on and not just when the car is in reverse, just in case there is a time I need to see behind me when not in reverse (I understand it should not be used while driving, etc., that is not mainly the plan so please hold those comments).

So now the questions: wondering if anyone has already done this and can share how they did it, or if anyone is familiar with the wiring and knows how it could be done. There are basic instructions but not optimal.

Again just wondering about the camera as I have a 12-volt plug on the end of the monitor and wireless receiver and will just plug it into one of the outlets.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by JayM; 04-29-2014 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

If you search the site for installation instructions for the Garmin Portable Pro or Plus GPS they include where you can pick up 12V. The other option that people use for radar detectors, mainly, is to tap directly off the fuse box. Or you could take the console apart and tap off the cigarette lighter plug.

I have a similar setup in my SUV (non-BMW) that my kids gave me for fathers day a few years ago. My monitor is much smaller, however. I wired in a switch on the dash to turn the camera on and off. I like to use it when pulling a trailer sometimes. Picking up the backup light signal is another "tear the console apart" operation so the switch is easier to wire. I get a lot of noise on mine but it works.

Did you consider the kind that uses the rear view mirror as the monitor? Pricey but seems nice. My Garmins technically have the capability of serving as the display, there are pins in their interface for it, but the wiring is not implemented. That seems like a good option too but would involve some really small soldering I'm not sure my eyes or soldering talent are up to.

I hope you continue to enjoy your rear view setup. You might want to consider mounting the monitor like the BMW portable Pro GPS.
      04-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
JayM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was looking for how to wire the camera into the trunk lid so it has power while the car is on, not just when in reverse or when the lights are on (I do not think the license plate lights are on when the lights are not on).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Thanks for the reply. Actually I was looking for how to wire the camera into the trunk lid so it has power while the car is on, not just when in reverse or when the lights are on (I do not think the license plate lights are on when the lights are not on).
In theory you should be able to pick up a connection at the battery but the existing connector is so complex that may be overly difficult. There may be an amplifier or something that gets power anytime the car is on back there. Absent those connections, I think you may have to run a wire back. Taking the console out is actually not too terrible and pulling the rear seat is also doable. You could run the wire right down the console (inside) and under the carpet in the trunk. Hassle but doable.
      05-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
If you remove the trunk lid liner, you can access the wires that feed the license plate lights. You can tap into one and feed the wire through the rubber trunk release button, by drilling a small hole beside the button in the rubber. That can feed directly to the license plate bracket where the camera mounts.

Pick up a little plastic trim 'pickle fork' to pry the plastic pop rivets open to remove the trunk liner, they just pop out and the liner drops. When you are finished, the pop rivets pop back into place.

At least this worked on my '08 Coupe, I assume the trunk lid on a 'vert is the same.

You have to put the light switch in the 'manual' position during the day as the 'auto' position turns off the license plate lights during daylight.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
JayM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the replies. I bought one of the license plate cameras off of ebay for around $25 (with white light not yellow) and I had a set of the cheap wireless video transmitters/receivers (think it was between $20-$30), so I finally put it in my 08 135 vert. I took the trunk lid liner off as Lester indicated which was really easy. The old license plate light popped right out. I did not want to cut/splice any stock wires unless I absolutely had to so I unplugged the license plate lite from the connector on the wire and the pins looked real similar to those you find on a computer motherboard. I bought some cheap ones on ebay, but the only ones I could find had three pins, so out came the Dremel to cut one off. Fit perfectly into the wire connector. So I attached the wire for the camera and transmitter to the other end, connected it up and secured it in the trunk. I did not spend much time on the monitor as I wanted to see how this was going to work before trying to make it look nice. I had a small 4" monitor (think it was around $20) that I connected to the wireless receiver, with the power connected to a 12v plug. Turned it all on and it worked really well, first try. have been using it a couple of days and it works great. As Lester mentioned in the daytime I have to turn on the lights for the camera to work but not a big issue. Plus that enables it to be used while not in reverse, although I do not find I use it much when driving - when I first got the car I adjusted my mirrors for complete coverage which works fantastic.

I think I may look into running the video wire from the trunk lid to the center console so I can remove the wireless system (to make the front part more compact), but this appears to be labor-intensive along with requiring removal of various panels.

Anyway just wanted to follow-up on this post in case anyone else is looking to do this. I can post more info/details/pictures if someone wants.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #7
adevangel84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 (RIP)

I installed a reverse camera for my dynavin head unit. here is the link http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833698

2008 135i Mods: MHD/AFe/ER/Synapse/VRSF/Berk/Cobb
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
JayM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Looks nice. I am guessing you ran the video wire from the trunk to the front? How bad was it and what path did you use?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #9
adevangel84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Looks nice. I am guessing you ran the video wire from the trunk to the front? How bad was it and what path did you use?
I used the wire tubs that ran from the trunk. I tucked everything in from behind the trunk lining close to the right tail light and under the rear seats. Then used the passenger door stills and in the dash. Overall it wasn't that hard to tuck everything in. I used some plastic pry tools to help tuck it in tight places.

2008 135i Mods: MHD/AFe/ER/Synapse/VRSF/Berk/Cobb

Last edited by adevangel84; 06-19-2014 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2014, 03:35 AM   #10
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

The best option if you have a coupe or convertible and the CIC iDrive is this rear view camera kit with dynamic parking lines and trunk handle camera. It offers OEM integration with the iDrive and superb picture quality during the day and at night.

Appreciate 1
      07-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #11
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

I want that ^ So expensive! Looks pretty awesome though..
      07-28-2014, 04:47 AM   #12
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Here is another option

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012656
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 12:58 AM   #13
fs88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Plus that enables it to be used while not in reverse, although I do not find I use it much when driving - when I first got the car I adjusted my mirrors for complete coverage which works fantastic.
Hey JayM, I was thinking about being able to view the back when I am driving as well, since when top is up, hard to see the back. I don't have built-in LCD either. What monitor did you end up using? Where would you put it?

p.s. What did you mean by "adjusted your mirrors for complete coverage"?

Last edited by fs88; 07-10-2015 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0