BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

Turning radio off when exiting car

OK, a tiny pet peeve of mine is that a single push of the start/stop button to turn off the engine does not turn off the radio. This seems to require a 'double tap' to turn everything off. I tried holding down the button for an extended period as described before but this does not seem to turn off the radio and electronics like a quick double tap does.

Is there any way to override this or code this differently?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbragg View Post
OK, a tiny pet peeve of mine is that a single push of the start/stop button to turn off the engine does not turn off the radio. This seems to require a 'double tap' to turn everything off. I tried holding down the button for an extended period as described before but this does not seem to turn off the radio and electronics like a quick double tap does.

Is there any way to override this or code this differently?

Thanks.
Brad,

The way the start/stop button work is similar to the old school physical key.
There are 3 position.

1. Off
2. ACC
3. Start

So, with start/stop button, if you only press once from off position, it will go to ACC position, unless if you press the brake pedal then it will start the car immediately.
Same as if you press the button when the engine is running, it only kill the engine, but not the whole electrical system that run the accessories, such as radio, power window, etc.

Hope this help.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Oh, to answer your question.
There is no power off on the radio. I am not sure if there is another way to shut it off by holding some other button for a few seconds. I never worry about it since the new car are smart enough to not get damaged or damaging other component by just shutting off the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #4
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

Yeah, I understand the starting up the car thing. And I understand that there is no 'turning off' of the radio. I just want to be able to go from running engine while parked to everything off without pressing the button twice. Is that possible? Right now, I'm having to press the button twice to cut off engine and turn everything off. Is there a way to do it with just one press?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbragg
Yeah, I understand the starting up the car thing. And I understand that there is no 'turning off' of the radio. I just want to be able to go from running engine while parked to everything off without pressing the button twice. Is that possible? Right now, I'm having to press the button twice to cut off engine and turn everything off. Is there a way to do it with just one press?
Yes, there is, lock the car.. That will shut off the accessory.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Ahh, my mistake, now I understand exactly your question.
Chrisny is correct, you can jump out and locked it and everything will be turned off.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

And FWIW, you can power off the radio. Push the volume button in.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

So, to add to this discussion in regards to double tapping to turn off the car completely. Why do the ambient lights stay on until you lock the vehicle? If I leave it unlocked, the ambient interior lighting stays on for a while - I stood there for at least 3 minutes before locking because they still stayed on. Do they eventually turn off or do you have to always lock the car for them to turn off?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

I'm glad you asked that question, I just came in from a night drive and everything turned off except for the lighting trim (night light) and instrument panel. It went off in about 3 minutes or so, but is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately I never pay attention to that, because I always leave the car unlock in the garage and just left. I have faith in the safety design where it will shut off everything if no activity for 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, I always used to before I noticed the lighting kept staying on, so I wasn't sure. I didn't want to risk it. I guess it eventually shuts off; good to know.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 03:53 AM   #12
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
Yeah, I always used to before I noticed the lighting kept staying on, so I wasn't sure. I didn't want to risk it. I guess it eventually shuts off; good to know.
My son likes to stay with me in the car and press every button in his reach, after a couple of minutes things start to shut down. There is even a msg stating it will shut down after a few seconds and if you want it on you have to press the radio button. Anyways, after a little while my son understands all is shut off and we can leave the garage
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 04:52 AM   #13
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
My son likes to stay with me in the car and press every button in his reach, after a couple of minutes things start to shut down. There is even a msg stating it will shut down after a few seconds and if you want it on you have to press the radio button. Anyways, after a little while my son understands all is shut off and we can leave the garage
Lol, that's cute. Glad to know it shuts off. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani
Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha
You are so lucky that he wants to leave once the power is out.
My youngest son loves to stay in the car and pressing buttons also even when the power is out.
So my wife sometimes leave him alone while she is unloading grocery from the trunk.
But then, you won't believe what he did.
He put coins inside the CD slot.
Fortunately, he did it to my wife's F10, which I rarely drive.
But then, it annoys you, now we can even use the CD drive.
Appreciate 0