BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Lotsa Noob Questions...

Hi all..
New to the forum, and I've been lurking here for a few days. I just bought a '10 128i.. and I LOVE it. But... I'm already wanting to mod it.
I'm no mod rookie.. I've got a few under my belt. But, I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to the BMW. Several things I have been trying to research, but the more I read, the more I'm confused..

I'm not sure if my 128 has the base or hifi system. I know it's a difference in speakers.. but there has to be more to it. The HU says professional.. But there is no Bluetooth box (combox?) in the trunk space. The only input connection I'm aware of.. is an aux port under the armrest.
It just seems anemic. Painfully anemic. So, if I want to bring this thing up to par.. I'm thinking bluetooth (combox? Is that right?) for audio/calls, and the Alpine upgrade with some better speakers, including tweeters in the sails, and maybe upgrade the underseat subs, and maybe add a sub in the trunk. BTW, WTH is a MULF? Where are the BEST places to get some of this stuff?
I'm also reading a lot about coding. I am getting the understanding that in order to enable/disable some features, you have to essentially, re-program the car. How hard is that? I'm in I.T. by trade, and am not unfamiliar with the concept, but don't want to jack up my car.

Please understand, I'm willing to do more research, and reading, I just need a few things explained, and then pointed in the right direction!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

There's a whole forum dedicated to programming BMW's (search b m w c o d I n g forum). There are some things that can be changed, and some can only be changed by the dealer. Many of the control items are digital switches to turn things on/off or to select the parameters (such as the size of the battery, or the type).

Roughly speaking, with the right cable and program, you download the database of switch entries for the area of interest, edit it, then send it back to the car. In the process, you can save the original database in case things go weird on you to restore it.

You can change things like fold the mirrors when you lock the car, remove the safety warnings on the nav or disable the seatbelt warning, and lots of other things, limited by the options you have in the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Found the coding forum... thanks for that.

Am I thinking correctly on my audio issues?? Tax Return is due here soon... I wanna get it working right.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

You might want to google "bavarian soundwerks". They are not at all the only place to get bluetooth or audio upgrades but they are a source and would give you some idea what is possible.

There are people on here that will sell you a custom enclosure for a sub to fit on the side of your trunk (so you don't take up too much trunk *******. Search the forum and you should find them.

I have a mid-grade system. It was the low level system in 2009 when mine was built. Differences from the low grade system BMW provided in other parts of the world and in the U. S. other years include the fact that I have separate tweeters near the mirrors in the doors. If you don't have a little mesh grill in that area with a speaker behind it, you have the low end system. It lacks power as well as drivers versus the mid or high level system. I don't know any easy way to know the mid from the high. The VIN tool others have posted a link to might tell you.

With a mid or high level system, I would think about drivers and possibly a separate amp for the sub. With the low end system, I would think about replacing the whole thing. One of the complications is you need to leave the BMW system in the car, I think. You might want to look for a system.
      04-16-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Unfortunately, I've learned that I have the low-end system... Uggh!! Ive been talking to Ken @ MusicarNW, and he's given me some great info, and I like their offerings... one option he gave was putting the HU in the trunk. Can I not get a newer HU to do this?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:30 AM   #6
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did just look up my VIN. I'm hoping what I've found means that my HU is just lacking the combox, and then a speaker/amp upgrade. Seems I am wired for Sat/BT, and phone, just lacking the parts, right?

S645ABMW US Radio
S663ARadio BMW Professional
S693A Preparation BMW satellite radio
S8SCATelematics access request,country-spec
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 10:51 PM   #7
cpnbnanamn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bump... could use a little guidance.. I've been searching..
Appreciate 0