BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Laguna Seca Gear Selection, Apex Question

ok i have been to laguna more times then i can count in my e46 but sat was my 1st time in my new e92... so going from turn 5-6 im topped out in 3rd gear once at 6 ... so are you guys going to 4th gear through 6 heading towards 7? or brake into 6 and exit 6 heading towards 7 in 3rd gear? hope that question made sense...

and just curious you guys single or double apex turn 2?
      12-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Was there for the 1st time in August, and I went deep into 2 (wide) broke hard, and then late apexed the end of 2. I'm no expert, but it worked for me. I don't remember what gear I was in (DCT-makes it easy).

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
Was there for the 1st time in August, and I went deep into 2 (wide) broke hard, and then late apexed the end of 2. I'm no expert, but it worked for me. I don't remember what gear I was in (DCT-makes it easy).
some guys double and some single apex it....i always brake deep and wide and single...everytime you watch alms they always double it.....
      12-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Yeah, I would top out in 3rd (I have MT) going into turn 6, but I have an 8600 rpm limit, so have no need to upshift (or maybe I'm not that fast!). Given the uphill climb on the straight to turn 7, I would imagine 4th not having enough pull vs. 3rd.

By and large most take the late, single apex at turn 2. HDPE instructors typically recommend that.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

I single apexed turn 2 in HPDE. I think with our heavy cars it's probably fastest. The racing line is obviously going to be different because they have to protect their position... and their cars are lighter weight and have much better suspension and tires = grip.

I'm not sure about the gearing coming into 6. The soundbooth is right there between 5 and 6 so I would upshift to 4th after turn 5 and then downshift back to 3rd into turn 6 so that I wouldn't blow sound. There are a couple areas on that track where I feel like I could upshift, but I'd have to downshift again within a second or two coming into a turn so it may not be worth it.

Love that track! Feels special.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
I single apexed turn 2 in HPDE. I think with our heavy cars it's probably fastest. The racing line is obviously going to be different because they have to protect their position... and their cars are lighter weight and have much better suspension and tires = grip.

I'm not sure about the gearing coming into 6. The soundbooth is right there between 5 and 6 so I would upshift to 4th after turn 5 and then downshift back to 3rd into turn 6 so that I wouldn't blow sound. There are a couple areas on that track where I feel like I could upshift, but I'd have to downshift again within a second or two coming into a turn so it may not be worth it.

Love that track! Feels special.
all time favorite track hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!