BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

12-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

POWER button

I have always used the normal/comfort setting at the track because of ease of throttle input. I have also thought that the comfort setting was the most linear out of all the modes but I have noticed a dead spot on initial throttle application though (maybe the first cm?).

This past week has been a recalibration of my foot to sport mode (key programmed to start in sport mode now). I will be trying this on the 15th and I guess I just have to watch out to not over rev on heel toeing when going fast and braking hard.

What do you guys use/think?

(and this is probably the 103489th repost)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashman View Post
I always use the POWER button. Good for 50HP.
that's why I need it this time! lol.....im starting to believe that its actually more linear than comfort, but haven't really been able to tell if full throttle is actually before pedal all the way down.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

In my case it's the MDM button on my steering wheel ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I never use the power button on my E46 or E90. I forgot to turn it off once at the track and almost spun the car.

But it's just a throttle sensitivity boost and is purely a preference thing. Some like, others don't. I'd just try it out.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I have always used the normal/comfort setting at the track because of ease of throttle input. I have also thought that the comfort setting was the most linear out of all the modes but I have noticed a dead spot on initial throttle application though (maybe the first cm?).

This past week has been a recalibration of my foot to sport mode (key programmed to start in sport mode now). I will be trying this on the 15th and I guess I just have to watch out to not over rev on heel toeing when going fast and braking hard.

What do you guys use/think?

(and this is probably the 103489th repost)
I am glad you bring this up, because I have debated this probably 103489 times

I agree with you. IMO, the normal setting for the "Power" button is artificially dampened and not linear. In the past, I used to race modified A2 VW GTI (I know, a long time ago ) with 4 Webber carburetors that revved to 8500RPM. The throttle response was fantastic and the feeling was much more akin to the "Power" on the "Sport" setting. To me, the "Sport" setting feels more linear and natural.

The thing is, at lower RPM, the engine does not consume as much air. So the throttles only need to be partially opened to allow the full volume that the engine requires. This gives the impression that the last portion of the the pedal travel is useless. My GTIs felt exactly the same way. However, at higher RPM, the full throttle opening is required to allow the engine to breath; and this is where to full pedal travel is required. IMO, the "Sport" mode make the throttle easier to modulate at higher RPM and it is the setting I prefer at the track. It is as if my right foot is directly connected to the 8 throttle bodies. In the end, it is a question of habit and personal preference.

For the DD, when the engine mostly remains in the lower RPM, I prefer the dampened setting of the "Normal" mode. It makes smooth driving easier and makes me less eager to get on it . However, I find the Sport+ setting pretty much useless as it does not seem to ever use the full pedal travel.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-12-2013 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

I agree with you. IMO, the normal setting for the "Power" button is artificially dampened and not linear. In the past, I used to race modified A2 VW GTI (I know, a long time ago ) with 4 Webber carburetors that revved to 8500RPM. The throttle response was fantastic and the feeling was much more akin to the "Power" on the "Sport" setting. To me, the "Sport" setting feels more linear and natural.

The thing is, at lower RPM, the engine does not consume as much air. So the throttles only need to be partially opened to allow the full volume that the engine requires. This gives the impression that the last portion of the the pedal travel is useless. My GTIs felt exactly the same way. However, at higher RPM, the full throttle opening is required to allow the engine to breath; and this is where to full pedal travel is required. IMO, the "Sport" mode make the throttle easier to modulate at higher RPM and it is the setting I prefer at the track. It is as if my right foot is directly connected to the 8 throttle bodies. In the end, it is a question of habit and personal preference.

For the DD, when the engine mostly remains in the lower RPM, I prefer the dampened setting of the "Normal" mode. It makes smooth driving easier and makes me less eager to get on it . However, I find the Sport+ setting pretty much useless as it does not seem to use the full pedal travel.
im tending to agree with this and is why i will try it this weekend at the track. hopefully i dont end up spinning like bigjae but thats why ive been recalibrating this past week lol....i can actually apply slight throttle when needed as opposed to trying sport throttle for giggles when used to comfort and then mashing on it too much unintended...

plus i keep watching all these EVO / CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS / TIFF NEEDELL reviews and "sharpens throttle" this and "sharpens throttle" that makes me just want to for fun. I'll report back and let you guys know if it transforms the car into a ferrari

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I have always used normal mode becuase I felt like I was able to feather the throttle better. I have tried both sport and sport plus and the throttle felt too much like an on/off swith to me, and it was just harder to apply throttle smoothly. I agree with the others that it's a total preference thing, so I am interested to see how it goes for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

I agree with you. IMO, the normal setting for the "Power" button is artificially dampened and not linear.
This drove me nuts earlier this year. Looking at the Solo DL data I noticed that at some of my sessions there was zero improvement (neither in acceleration nor segment position in lap comparison) when pedal position was over 3/4 (75%).

Eventually traced it back to the "sport plus" power setting after looking at my track notes and lots of head scratching. I leave it alone at sport now, no need to deal with this at the track
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
i leave it off to allow me more control over throttle input to not spin the car as i roll on the throttle after turn in. the power button makes it too sensitive and twitchy.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

I agree with going with the throttle map that allows the best modulation. I just notice a dead spot in comfort/normal. No one else?

Last edited by pkimM3r; 12-11-2013 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #11
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

I have always had it on so I'm totally used to it. The one caution I would offer is to be carefully coming out of low speed turns. Just from instinct you'll want to immediately get back on power so be very smooth or as others have stated........the ass is going to coming around and you won't be expecting it.....................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I used Sport for the first year because I'd read it would make heel-toe easier (it did, sort of) until an instructor told me to try Normal since I might benefit from the linearity. And just like that, my eyes were opened and I got noticeably faster almost immediately. I agree that Normal has sort of a sluggish zone early on in the throttle, which is why I use Sport on the road, but Normal is FAR more linear and granular in the throttle area you actually use the vast majority of the time you're on the track. With Sport I've found that you can redline the car without even having the throttle buried, which suggests to me that a chunk of the pedal travel is wasted on the top-end, which is unfortunate because that's precisely where you want the most throttle control in a track setting.

I'd never go back to Sport on track personally. On the road though, it does allow for lazier driving, plus it makes the car feel faster.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Went to track in sport mode. I feel it had better response than normal mode especially when slowly roling on the throttle (since it bypasses the dead spot in early pedal travel).

The problem i had was with my heel toe muscle memory. Since im used to driving in normal, i over revved on some downshifts (used to blipping more aggressively) resulting in some major unsettling of the car

I felt that the throttle mapping just "matched" my foot calibration eg. Pussyfoot partial throttle actually gave me some more throttle then im normally calibrated to and pussyfoot calibration of rolling on the throttle resulted in the linearity i wanted. And well wot is wot might be a little earlier or whatnot but not very noticeable (in track conditions eg never zero throttle to full throttle).

Overall, it just felt more sharp and quicker in response as well as being quite linear is what i was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
I used Sport for the first year because I'd read it would make heel-toe easier (it did, sort of) until an instructor told me to try Normal since I might benefit from the linearity. And just like that, my eyes were opened and I got noticeably faster almost immediately. I agree that Normal has sort of a sluggish zone early on in the throttle, which is why I use Sport on the road, but Normal is FAR more linear and granular in the throttle area you actually use the vast majority of the time you're on the track. With Sport I've found that you can redline the car without even having the throttle buried, which suggests to me that a chunk of the pedal travel is wasted on the top-end, which is unfortunate because that's precisely where you want the most throttle control in a track setting.

I'd never go back to Sport on track personally. On the road though, it does allow for lazier driving, plus it makes the car feel faster.
I agree with you partially. To me, i feel that the throttle map doesnt make it that much less linear. It still definitely feels linear vs say sport+ which is just undriveable lol.

I feel that it just minimizes the pedal travel a bit and shifts the mapping a little towards the beginning of the pedal travel (if that makes sense) which results in a sharper more responsive setting for me. To put into words graphically, normal setting has an upward sloping curve starting relatively flat whereas the sport setting is a 45degree line vs sport plus which is just a horizontal line way up high on the graph.

Im with canaut. Plus maybe i can put a prancing horse on the side of my car now. Prob not.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I agree with you partially. To me, i feel that the throttle map doesnt make it that much less linear. It still definitely feels linear vs say sport+ which is just undriveable lol.

I feel that it just minimizes the pedal travel a bit and shifts the mapping a little towards the beginning of the pedal travel (if that makes sense) which results in a sharper more responsive setting for me. To put into words graphically, normal setting has an upward sloping curve starting relatively flat whereas the sport setting is a 45degree line vs sport plus which is just a horizontal line way up high on the graph.

Im with canaut. Plus maybe i can put a prancing horse on the side of my car now. Prob not.
I know what you mean. I guess for me having "slack" at the beginning of the pedal that then begins a linear slope up to WOT is preferable to having the slope start early and then flatten at the top end, because in the latter setup it's hard to tell when you've hit WOT and don't need to keep adding input. That can be important because if you go into the unnecessary "slack" at the top end and then intend to trail the throttle a bit by backing off the pedal (e.g. to get a little front-end grip before a high-speed corner), you may not end up trailing the actual throttle opening if you're still in WOT pedal territory. On the other hand, with Normal it's always obvious when you're WOT because you can't push the pedal any farther forward, and any reduction in input there will actually change the throttle opening. Just my 2 cents.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #16
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

True. I forgot to test to see how much lift off you need before it responds that way! But for the most part i never felt that since im not good enough to for example, 98% throttle
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I always use normal mode both on the street and track. Much finer throttle modulation and feel. I do agree there is a dead spot in the beginning of pressing the throttle but I got used to it.

I also leave steering in normal. I find the sport setting artificially heavy and it is too much effort if I need to counter steer quickly.

Pretty much my M-button does nothing since I have coilovers. I just turn of traction control and leave everything standard.
      12-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
Notnug
America
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevrolet Tahoe/E92 M3

I have always used the power button. I never really thought about not pressing it, seems a little wrong doesn't it? haha

In MY opinion the immediate throttle response is crucial. Its still possible to properly modulate the throttle it just takes very careful inputs. Balancing the vehicle in a turn is crucial and for me the swiftness of the response saved me before. As many said, it really is personal preference when it comes down to it. The "dead spot" that normal gives me really bothers me and in my opinion can be dangerous if you need a little burst of throttle quickly. It really comes back to the driver getting to know each setting.

However, I do agree that heal-toeing can be difficult to manage with the quick response. It is VERY east to over rev without knowing it with little input. This is the one problem that I have with this setting. Again, the more seat time one gets the more comfortable they become with a given setting.

For me, I like the fast throttle response, but thats probably because I started with it on and have never driven without it. Next track day I am going to try it OFF and who knows maybe ill be a changed man! Just my 2cents.
      12-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
i leave it off to allow me more control over throttle input to not spin the car as i roll on the throttle after turn in. the power button makes it too sensitive and twitchy.
This was my feeling as well with the e90. I can more easily modulate on exit as well without unintentional oversteer.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #20
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

I only drive flat out so I always use the power button.

To be honest, I only use the power button when MDM is on. MDM has been known to be activated by turn 1 (exit of my driveway).

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #21
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
I have always had it on so I'm totally used to it....
+1
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #22
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

Phil, didn't this change, in turn, get you faster times?