BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

12-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Oil/water Temps

ok so i have searched and gone through the threads in regards to water and oil temps... it looks as if the temps are all over the place as the temps will change do to demographics, humidity, track temps etc.... so lets make it simple...

SO CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE BELOW WHAT THE MAX YOU GUYS RECOMEND FOR THE FOLLOWING.... THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

ARVG/STREET DRIVING TEMP MAX TRACK TEMP

OIL TEMP

WATER TEMP

Last edited by Sebringjetta; 12-08-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Temps are all over the place depending on how hard the driver pushes the car, humidity, etc...

The car will go into limp mode if it gets too hot. If you start getting warnings, you are on the edge, after that it will shut itself down. This happens somewhere around 300 oil and 235-240 water.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackey View Post
Temps are all over the place depending on how hard the driver pushes the car, humidity, etc...

The car will go into limp mode if it gets too hot. If you start getting warnings, you are on the edge, after that it will shut itself down. This happens somewhere around 300 oil and 235-240 water.

Thank you sir...
      12-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

As stated, temps will vary significantly for a lot of reasons, but as long as the sensors are working properly, the car will protect itself from overheating. Fwiw though, when my engine is fully warmed up, on the street I'm always in the 195-225 F range for oil. On the track I don't think I've ever gone above 240 F or so, even though I'm in an advanced run group and have run on days when the ambient temperature was 107 F. I guess that's a testament to the M3's oil cooling! (Meanwhile the 335i's street running oil temp is 250 F. )

Where are you finding water temps? I read one of Mike Miller's Tech Talk replies in Roundel where he stated that BMW no longer shows water temperature because modern ECUs will adjust water temperature constantly for all kinds of reasons, and if the average owner saw those fluctuations on a guage, he/she would assume there was a problem when it was in fact perfectly normal. I have no way to confirm that, but Mike Miller is an extremely well-respected master BMW tech.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
As stated, temps will vary significantly for a lot of reasons, but as long as the sensors are working properly, the car will protect itself from overheating. Fwiw though, when my engine is fully warmed up, on the street I'm always in the 195-225 F range for oil. On the track I don't think I've ever gone above 240 F or so, even though I'm in an advanced run group and have run on days when the ambient temperature was 107 F. I guess that's a testament to the M3's oil cooling!

Where are you finding water temps? I read one of Mike Miller's Tech Talk replies in Roundel where he stated that BMW no longer shows water temperature because modern ECUs will adjust water temperature constantly for all kinds of reasons, and if the average owner saw those fluctuations on a guage, he/she would assume there was a problem when it was in fact perfectly normal. I have no way to confirm that, but Mike Miller is an extremely well-respected master BMW tech.
i have been running a scan gauge II for a few years now in my e46 m3 and have always watched the water temps as that was one of the weakest points for the e46 m3....im in the advance run group as well and in the summer time the temps would reach scary limits so it was always somthing i would watch while also running the heater to keep the temps under control
      12-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Where are you finding water temps?
You can display water temps directly on the dash.

Exact instructions in the e90post track forum sticky on limp modes. (sorry, can't link, on mobile)
Appreciate 0