BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
The Stig (Ben Collins) on Audis.

"My race mechanic had the original 1991 spec Quattro when i started racing in 1995 and the things he could do with it on a country lane were unreal. More recently when i was racing in Formula 3 my engineer took me out in an A3 and after seeing the way it gripped i got rid of my Toyota Supra and bought the A3, then proceeded to put 250,000 miles on the clock. It refused to die!
In the end that car had leaks everywhere, dents from being parked in London and i had ragged it every second of its life. But it still clung to the road like shit to a rug. I eventually scrapped it, being heartless and needing the cash, but there some love there. Kind of.

Many journalists can't drive very well so i don't believe what i read. And most people should judge a car from their own test drive i reckon. I've never driven an Audi that understeered - the only model that might be over-engineered is the TTRS, but the standard TT is wicked, i drove one last week.

As for heritage.. the rallying pedigree is mega but look at Le Mans. They don't just win - they destroy the competition and having seen up close the attention to detail and the preparation, the skill and the passion that goes into that racing program it makes it hard not to admire them."

rest of the Q&A at the link:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...k_me_anything/
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

I don't disagree with him. Many people are critical of audi. I think they're fantastic cars.
      10-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

It's true. I tried a Audi TT recently on the track, it handled very well.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

He made a great point. I sold my RS4 last year, was a fine automobile. Sure people will bag on it for being front heavy and understeering, but it really depends on how you drive the car. Drivers like Ben know how to trail brake and manipulate weight in a corner, journalists just toss it in at X speed and judge based on that. You definitely adjust yourself to driving an Audi, but they can be great fun. I miss mine.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

They are great cars, but for me they have no emotional appeal. Yes, this is a bit superficial (okay, very superficial) but all their cars look the same and have no soul to me. I also feel like they're the just the trendy car to get with people who don't know much about cars because "they have those cool headlights" and they're in every. single. movie. Audi's done a great job marketing though, no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin
They are great cars, but for me they have no emotional appeal. Yes, this is a bit superficial (okay, very superficial) but all their cars look the same and have no soul to me. I also feel like they're the just the trendy car to get with people who don't know much about cars because "they have those cool headlights" and they're in every. single. movie. Audi's done a great job marketing though, no doubt.
I do agree with you on many instances....but there are exceptions. the R8, the RS4s, the TT all have quite a lot emotion built into them. they feel like well made machines and are a lot of fun to own and drive. I've had my TT for 11 years now.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
I do agree with you on many instances....but there are exceptions. the R8, the RS4s, the TT all have quite a lot emotion built into them. they feel like well made machines and are a lot of fun to own and drive. I've had my TT for 11 years now.
This is true, I was mostly thinking of their more standard models. I genuinely would like to give one a try but I think I've got that sort of estrogen-fueled hate wherein anything you dislike is banned from your life forever. Maybe I'll come to my senses one day... like if someone handed me an R8. Yeah, that would work.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biorin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
This is true, I was mostly thinking of their more standard models. I genuinely would like to give one a try but I think I've got that sort of estrogen-fueled hate wherein anything you dislike is banned from your life forever. Maybe I'll come to my senses one day... like if someone handed me an R8. Yeah, that would work.
the standard models are good for the average person----but I agree they don't exactly get the blood rushing!
Appreciate 0