BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

09-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

DCT/Differential Cooling Systems?

On my previous car (STi) I had a Mishimoto radiator installed for cooling purposes along with a few thermal spacers, gaskets and a turbo blanket. I was shocked at the difference this made for over all cooling purposes. The only real issue I had with it was warming up in the mornings during cooler times of the year but otherwise it was great to keeping the car from getting warmer on track days. Being that I have realized the differences that it made with my previous car (minus the warm up hassle) I am curious if others on here have upgraded the cooling system to their DCT and or differential.

I really am interested in these items to help prolong the life of my car and allow for a much more stable range of temperature during track use. I found only one website so far and it's all in German.

Does anyone know of other websites in English, manufacturers?

Does anyone have these items installed?

What are your opinions on these items?

M3POST user, WWJD15 has a DCT cooling system and I hope that he will chime in as to where he got his since this is not posted in two threads that I read with him involved. I believe just from looks it's the same one I posted below.

DCT cooling system, Click Here

Differential cooling system, Click Here

In the end I would like to spark a good debate on this topic and get your opinions and answers to what I have highlighted in red, thanks!

Last edited by STi_traitor; 09-16-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor View Post
On my previous car (STi) I had a Mishimoto radiator installed for cooling purposes along with a few thermal spacers, gaskets and a turbo blanket. I was shocked at the difference this made for over all cooling purposes. The only real issue I had with it was warming up in the mornings during cooler times of the year but otherwise it was great to keeping the car from getting warmer on track days. Being that I have realized the differences that it made with my previous car (minus the warm up hassle) I am curious if others on here have upgraded the cooling system to their DCT and or differential.

I really am interested in these items to help prolong the life of my car and allow for a much more stable range of temperature during track use. I found only one website so far and it's all in German.

Does anyone know of other websites in English, manufacturers?

Does anyone have these items installed?

What are your opinions on these items?

M3POST user, WWJD15 has a DCT cooling system and I hope that he will chime in as to where he got his since this is not posted in two threads that I read with him involved. I believe just from looks it's the same one I posted below.

DCT cooling system, Click Here

Differential cooling system, Click Here

In the end I would like to spark a good debate on this topic and get your opinions and answers to what I have highlighted in red, thanks!
I had an STi as well and while that car would overheat considerably. This specific car is well built and while the temp gauge creeps a little past mid way mark, it never overheats the motor even with factory water/coolant mix.

Long and short, no one here has ever complained about the diff/tranny heating up. I have ran the car hard back to back in instructor/student session without any issue (cannot say the same about stock brakes).

You're good. save your$$

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutfy View Post
I had an STi as well and while that car would overheat considerably. This specific car is well built and while the temp gauge creeps a little past mid way mark, it never overheats the motor even with factory water/coolant mix.

Long and short, no one here has ever complained about the diff/tranny heating up. I have ran the car hard back to back in instructor/student session without any issue (cannot say the same about stock brakes).

You're good. save your$$

Lutfy
Thanks for the input. I was starting to get the idea that nobody really upgraded those areas. I have know that the cooling system alone for the DCT is fine I just figured it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to help prolong life.

Thanks! I will save the money for something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I had an STy? before (evo ix) lol. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I will be defriending you now that I know you were a EVO fan......just playing, those are great cars!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #6
dex37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I know someone who has a DCT Cooler installed, because he was getting high temperatures, but he only drives his E92 on the track. The car is quite extreme and he drives with slicks. I doubt that a most of us (just for fun drivers) will get any problems with the DCT temperature soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_traitor
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I will be defriending you now that I know you were a EVO fan......just playing, those are great cars!
Enemy!!

But the last two STi have seriously kicked ass with the hatchback and the sedan. Evo X is just wrong ha.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Have you taken Diff temp readings to see that it actually needs more cooling? Not saying it doesn't, just wondering.
Appreciate 0