BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
vitiokas95
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5, 2008 E90 M3, 2010 X5d

Where to buy racing helmet for track???

Used or new???
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
03///m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

ogracing.com

saferacer.com

subesports.com

I recommend Arai.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
discoveryparts.com
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

how much you looking to spend?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

I'd buy new, but that's just me.

As for brand, Arai is very nice as is HJC, Bell, and others. Different brands tend to fit different head shapes. Bell helmets are too narrow for my head, I've found Arai and HJC to fit similarly.

Order from a place that allows you to return/exchange if it doesn't fit. Or find a local race shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
e92motorsports
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

HMS Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

I've purchased 3 over the years from soloracer.com and have been happy with them. saferacer.com is where i get pretty much everything now. Search around and sometimes you can get lucky and find some good coupon codes on the intrawebs.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOut View Post
I've purchased 3 over the years from soloracer.com and have been happy with them. saferacer.com is where i get pretty much everything now. Search around and sometimes you can get lucky and find some good coupon codes on the intrawebs.
+1 used both for equipment.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
vitiokas95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
how much you looking to spend?
These are expensive... I would prefer something better quality but used
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitiokas95 View Post
How much is your head worth?

You shouldn't buy used helmet. You never know if it's been in an impact. Buying a used helmet is like buying a used condom. They're both really only good for one intended use.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
try hjc ar-10. hans compatible and not too bad price wise.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Check out Apex Performance. Bought two Arais from them (GP-6 and GP-Jet). Great service and prices, also good selection.
      06-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
vitiokas95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
try hjc ar-10. hans compatible and not too bad price wise.
Thanks, I think this is what I need.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I think this is what I need.
yep no problem. its what i run and has been good to me so far. little heavier than i would like is only drawback.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
vitiokas95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My first track day is coming. So far I got these...

Apex ARC-8 wheels with NITTO NT-01 tires.
PFC-01 brake pads
Castrol SRF brake fluid
HJC Helmet
AFE Cold air intake

In next couple days will buy these...

Brake cooling ducts from Centrel
schroth quickfit pro.

Should be all set for first track day. Within next few months will go with set of coilovers, some kind of engine tune from one of our vendors.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:

PFC-01 brake pads
Castrol SRF brake fluid
HJC Helmet
AFE Cold air intake

schroth quickfit pro.

Should be all set for first track day. Within next few months will go with set of coilovers, some kind of engine tune from one of our vendors.
As in first track day ever?

If so I'll pass on the advice others gave me. Skip the NT-01's. R-Compound tires are not good for the first time on the track, run your street tires.

The PFC01 pads are great.

The Castrol brake fluid is way overkill. You'd have been better off saving a lot of money and getting the ATE SuperBlue. I also think intakes are a waste of money.

The cooling ducts should be nice and I love the Schroth quick fits, but I didn't think they made them for the E9X M3?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #17
vitiokas95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post

If so I'll pass on the advice others gave me. Skip the NT-01's. R-Compound tires are not good for the first time on the track, run your street tires.

The Castrol brake fluid is way overkill. You'd have been better off saving a lot of money and getting the ATE SuperBlue. I also think intakes are a waste of money.

The cooling ducts should be nice and I love the Schroth quick fits, but I didn't think they made them for the E9X M3?
Why do you think Castrol brake fluid was overkill? Got it for good price actually, $50 per liter.
Tires also, was not planning to buy it, but nice set of used wheels and tires came up so I bought it. Why waste your nice Michelin Pilot sports when I can use something cheaper and better grip...
I agree on intakes thought, but again, nice deal online and my air filter was due for replacement, so just could not resist. I think I am shopaholic
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
How much is your head worth?

You shouldn't buy used helmet. You never know if it's been in an impact. Buying a used helmet is like buying a used condom. They're both really only good for one intended use.
This.
I went to the Bell Helmets site and searched for a dealer. That dealer also carried a bunch of other brands, so I tried on 10-15 helmets and bought what fit the best.

Quote:

I doubt you even need the PFC01's. Using an R-compound will cover up mistakes until it's too late. You can be VERY fast with stock components for a newb.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Why do you think Castrol brake fluid was overkill? Got it for good price actually, $50 per liter.
Tires also, was not planning to buy it, but nice set of used wheels and tires came up so I bought it. Why waste your nice Michelin Pilot sports when I can use something cheaper and better grip...
I agree on intakes thought, but again, nice deal online and my air filter was due for replacement, so just could not resist. I think I am shopaholic
The fluid is overkill because on a first time out you won't be going nearly fast enough to boil high quality brake fluid (ATE SuperBlue, Motul 600, etc). So you could have gotten something less expensive with the same results. But there's no downside

As for the tires, there is a downside. With r-comp tires your levels of grip are higher, but they mask car control mistakes and if/when something does go wrong you are going faster. R-comps can hurt the learning process. I think you'd be wise to shelf those and run your streets for your first few weekends. You aren't going to roast a set of Pilots in a weekend at first-timer speeds.

This is just the things as told to me and worth considering.

For what it's worth I've done 5 track days, moved up to the intermediate run group and just bought NT01's for my next track day and I was hesitant doing that. It's just my 2-cents but strongly consider your street tires.

Your car stock is already faster than you are.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
SRF brake fluid is the best and its not an overkill. Especially for $50. Where did you get it?
Good choice with tires. They are semi R-compound tires and still give you audio feedback at the limit. I almost destroyed my brand new PSS tires two weeks ago, still pissed about it. I dont think michelin ps2 or pss should ever be used on the dry track by anyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #21
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The fluid is overkill because on a first time out you won't be going nearly fast enough to boil high quality brake fluid (ATE SuperBlue, Motul 600, etc). So you could have gotten something less expensive with the same results. But there's no downside

As for the tires, there is a downside. With r-comp tires your levels of grip are higher, but they mask car control mistakes and if/when something does go wrong you are going faster. R-comps can hurt the learning process. I think you'd be wise to shelf those and run your streets for your first few weekends. You aren't going to roast a set of Pilots in a weekend at first-timer speeds.

This is just the things as told to me and worth considering.

For what it's worth I've done 5 track days, moved up to the intermediate run group and just bought NT01's for my next track day and I was hesitant doing that. It's just my 2-cents but strongly consider your street tires.

Your car stock is already faster than you are.
what he said. first time out. be careful. dont be in a hurry to be an advanced driver. the mods your doing nt01s, srf, and such are more advanced than you are. take it slow and make baby steps. save those things for multiple multiple track days once you have become smooth and learn car control. be honest with yourself and take input from those around you at the track.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
Rostasteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black M3

Quote:

PFC-01 brake pads
Castrol SRF brake fluid
HJC Helmet
AFE Cold air intake

schroth quickfit pro.
Slow down little grasshopper. First track day should be done on stock everything (only exception is possibly brakes). Actually having all that grip and braking can be a hindrance to learning because you lose a lot of feedback, and when you do get the feedback it's at much higher speeds where correction is harder.

Re. the helmet question, make sure to get a full face helmet. More expensive helmets give you better fit, ventilation, hans support, and lower weight...they're not necessarily "safer". For an occasional track day I'd go with the lower end full-face SA2010 helmet. I bought mine at saferacer when they had a free shipping promo. Different brands are made for different shaped heads so call them before ordering. I ordered the wrong one and they were very good about exchanging it.
Appreciate 0