BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Spotting a tracked M3?

I was chatting to a buddy in San Diego who is looking to get a used M3. He was asking about how to spot a track-thrashed M3 on a lot. I came up with checking for non-OEM brake fluid, braided stainless steel brake lines and signs of power steering fluid spills. I also suggested an ODB code read, and checking the very bottom of the running boards for rubber scuffs.

What you suggest to pick out a tracked M3 on the lot? Another thought would be worn and scratched brake bleeding nipples ()!

Also - can anyone recommend a good indy car shop in San Diego area that could to a vehicle pre-purchase inspection? I am in CT, so I have no chance.
      06-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

That's kinda tough, because there are plenty of people who do because race car upgrades on their cars and never take them to the track. So the SS lines and up-rated brake fluid wouldn't really be a big red flag for me.

However, I would say signs of a lot of brake fluid flushes or dates written on the brake fluid reservoir (something my local shop does). Take a look at the tires; track wear looks different than street wear. Brake pads; does the car have race pads?

The power steering fluid spills is a good call. And also good point on the rubber on the running boards.

Having said all of that, what's the aversion to a track-used car? Myself and the other guys I know that track their cars take way better care of the mechanicals than average owner. Tracked cars are regularly inspected. And the owner of a tracked car is very aware that a safe car is a big part of a safe track day. As long as you have a good shop do a PPI, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an otherwise good car because it has seen track duty.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a tracked car - like dmw16 said, it is probably cared for better than 80% of the cars out there. That, and you really can't beat the italian tune-up for keeping the engine healthy. I shudder at people who "stay below 4 grand". Why did you buy the car if you're not going to drive it?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

The vast majority of tracked cars are the most regularly, most carefully and the best maintained cars that I see. All of the fluids are changed far more often. They are up on a lift getting a thorough inspection before each event. Small issues or potential issues are corrected immediately - and properly.

That beats the tar out of poorly maintained cars driven by people who intend to own it for a short time and then turn it into someone else's longer term problem.

You might ask your friend just what he is specifically worried about.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
people that track may ignore rubber on the bottom of the rockers, but they will maintain the heck out of everything else. they might have also gone under there with goo-gone and removed the rubber. i think i would rather have a tracked car than one that has not seen a brake fluid change in 3 years. people can put a sock over the power steering fluid, and swap pads and tires for race day. it is hard to say for sure if a car has been tracked.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm also in the camp that would buy a tracked car. I definitely maintain my cars much better than your average BMW owner, and I think it is safe to say most track guys do the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd buy a tracked car too. The question here is how would you spot one on the lot?

If my buddy is squeamish about it, that's his decision. We talked about it and I said that a tracked car is better maintained, with regular oil and fluid changes.

I'll rephrase the question:

If you are looking for a used M3 and specifically want a tracked one that has been maintained better, how would you spot it on the lot?
      06-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
I'd buy a tracked car too. The question here is how would you spot one on the lot?

If my buddy is squeamish about it, that's his decision. We talked about it and I said that a tracked car is better maintained, with regular oil and fluid changes.

If you are looking for a used M3 and specifically want a tracked one that has been maintained better, how would you spot it on the lot?
Clever...

But I really think the only possible way would be rubber on the underside of the side skirts. Everything else could just as easily be a guy who did some performance mods and never had the car on the track.

As an aside that is semi-related, I'd also suggest taking the footwell covers out and looking at the wiring harnesses for evidence of poor splicing by some stupid audio equipment enthusia-ass-t. I was under that part of my car 2 weekends ago and there were a bunch of stripped back wires covered in electrical tape where the previous owner had obviously been looking for 12V. Sometimes you gotta splice, but do it with care.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
kaiv
IG: limited.slip
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 in a 325i Touring body!

Gotta love the "track-trashed" assumption!

The only people who are scared of "tracked" cars are the ones that don't track themselves :drumroll: It all stems from ignorance really.

Track guys as opposed to "car enthusiasts" in general are a much smaller group and they also tend to know cars a lot better and take care of their cars a lot better. Warm up procedures, fluid intervals etc. Everything has to be in top shape, all the time.

That also means keeping a closer eye on your car. I personally put my car on a lift every couple track days to visually inspect everything to ensure all is well and if something isn't it is replaced/fixed right away.

As for a PPI in San Diego there is myself or the great people @ Marco Polo BMW in La Jolla (fantastic indy). Feel free to PM me for details!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Wheel stud conversion is a dead giveaway

Would also not hesitate to buy a tracked car, but would not hesitate to subtract the wear and tear from the fair market value of the car either.
      06-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiv View Post
As for a PPI in San Diego there is myself or the great people @ Marco Polo BMW in La Jolla (fantastic indy). Feel free to PM me for details!
Thanks!

The magnaflow is still drivign me nuts - it has been on and off several times. I am trying resonators next, then I might be done with it! LOL!
      06-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

I definitely agree with the theory that regularly tracked cars have better maintenance, but another thing to consider is that 10,000 miles on the track is not the same as 10,000 miles on the street.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
The vast majority of tracked cars are the most regularly, most carefully and the best maintained cars that I see. All of the fluids are changed far more often. They are up on a lift getting a thorough inspection before each event. Small issues or potential issues are corrected immediately - and properly.

That beats the tar out of poorly maintained cars driven by people who intend to own it for a short time and then turn it into someone else's longer term problem.

Spot on.

Looking at my tires and brakes you'd know. But mechanically, cosmetically, my tracked M3 is in better condition than the vast majority with similar mileage and age. (Clear bra helps..)

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think the brakes should be a fairly good giveaway too. You aren't going to see heat checking on the rotors or slightly discolored calipers from normal road driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.c View Post
I definitely agree with the theory that regularly tracked cars have better maintenance, but another thing to consider is that 10,000 miles on the track is not the same as 10,000 miles on the street.

I may respectfully challenge that notion.

I don't see why that would be the case on a well-maintained, regularly inspected M3.

Lets look at the converse:

We know that plenty of street-only M3 owners fail to maintain their cars, skip Inspections, use non-spec oil, vastly delay oil changes until the top of the engine looks like the La Brea Tar Pits, enjoy the thrill of high RPM clutch dumps from a standing start and generally treat the car and the drivetrain like crud.

I don't see premature failures in various generations of M3s that could reasonably be attributed to HPDEs. The only exception to that that I could name might be wheel bearings - and even those take years of track duty to come due. Its not like worn wheel bearings are a big deal.

IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:

Agreed. My leased 2011 M3 I just traded in with 50+ track days on it certainly fits that description.

However, I also know of another tracked M3 that was turned in which barely got basic maintenance done while it was tracked as it was a lease. Depends on the mindset of the owner.

Anyhow, some people, whether they track or not, simply don't want tracked car. Buyer's money, buyer's choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Wheel stud conversion is a dead giveaway

Would also not hesitate to buy a tracked car, but would not hesitate to subtract the wear and tear from the fair market value of the car either.
Not necessarily. I know of a TON of M3's here in SoCal that have stud conversions (as well as BBK's, $3,000 coilovers, etc) that are not tracked. Hard parkers.

Quote:

Some indications such as power steering fluid were already mentioned. Other signs might be... scrubbed/worn front fender liners (from 275+ front tires), paint chips on the front bumper & hood, headlights & windshield, missing tow hook cover, etc.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
will.c
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46M

Quote:

I don't see why that would be the case on a well-maintained, regularly inspected M3.

We know that plenty of street-only M3 owners fail to maintain their cars, skip Inspections, use non-spec oil, vastly delay oil changes until the top of the engine looks like the La Brea Tar Pits, enjoy the thrill of high RPM clutch dumps from a standing start and generally treat the car and the drivetrain like crud.

I don't see premature failures in various generations of M3s that could reasonably be attributed to HPDEs. The only exception to that that I could name might be wheel bearings - and even those take years of track duty to come due. Its not like worn wheel bearings are a big deal.

IMO
Oh I agree with you completely. The general pattern is definitely there, so if I were to buy one, I'd take my chances on a well-maintained, tracked car than dime a dozen street-only cars owned by an average person.

I guess I meant to say "10,000 miles only at the track." For example, when I was in the market, I saw a nicely track-prepped E46 M3 with only 10k miles, but all of those miles were on the track only. Now it must have been maintained very well. But redlining every gear of every mile of its life must wear things out faster than "normal," you know what I mean?

I heard that estimated equivalency is somewhere between 1 mile on track = 3-10 miles on street. This is probably just someone's guess rather than a scientific study, but I think it makes a little bit of sense at least.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

If your titanium exhaust has turned blue/purple...

If your brake rotors are gray instead of silver...

If your front wheels have more than 2.5 deg. of negative camber...

If your car sounds like a garbage truck coming to a stop...

If your radiators are filled with debris...

If you have a NASA annual inspection sticker...

That all I can think of for now.

Name:  15.JPG
Views: 804
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  DSC_2954.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  144.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20130330_165747.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  291.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0278.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  123.8 KB
      06-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

You won't find a tracked M3 on the lot. They are all on the track being driven and enjoyed like they are supposed to be.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #20
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:

IMO
You're describing a majority of E46 M3 owners. lol Not to much the E92 or F series coupes. I see it all the time in the older platforms.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #21
dmw16
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
You're describing a majority of E46 M3 owners. lol Not to much the E92 or F series coupes. I see it all the time in the older platforms.
As an E46 M3 owner I'm sad to say this is becoming more and more true. As the price of the car drops they fall into the hands of people who can't really afford to maintain them at best or like to ruin cars at worst.

But not to worry, there are still some E46 M3's being well taken care of. I know where at least one is.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Rotors. There's no way around that. A tracked car would have a very slight blue hue that's impossible to miss to the trained eyes. Even if it's just a single day's worth.

The kind of heat generated by the brake system on a track day is virtually impossible to replicate in street conditions, even if you're an aggressive driver or likes to "carve canyons."
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0