BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

alignment issues

I'm going to give this in a miles "timeline" to help you guys help me.

23 miles- take delivery of car. Stock suspension has a slight pull to the right.

1200 miles- KW v3s are installed and aftermarket wheels are installed. car's pull to the right becomes a bit more noticeable. decide to give some break in miles before alignment.

~2000 miles- alignment at reputable shop. car still pulls to the right. I take it back the following day. I sit and watch the actual readings of the computer, everything checks out. Car still has slight pull to the right.

14000 miles- new wheels/ new tires. car still pulls to the right.

15500 miles- car alignment at dealer. I have the alignment readings in a paper. everything checks out. car still pulls to the right.

Let me give a description of the pull the car has. Its enough to have me compensate by driving the car with the steering wheels a few degrees to the left. If I completely let go of the steering wheel at 60 mph the car will change lanes/pull right quickly. I've come to the conclusion that it's not alignment, but I'm at a dead end. I was hoping for some help.

Any ideas?
      07-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

You did not mention if you had uneven tire wear when you replaced tires, which is the best indication of whether the problem is alignment related. If not, I would be interested in checking out the steering rack, but I’m sure it could be the result of many suspension components, brake drag, etc. Seems like the logical course is to give it to the dealer and tell them to call you when its fixed. Although it would have been preferable to do that before the installation of any after-market equipment.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

What tires you using an size?

My car has a slight pull to the left usually, but the roads are so uneven where I live, its hard to say if its just not from that.
      07-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
You did not mention if you had uneven tire wear when you replaced tires, which is the best indication of whether the problem is alignment related. If not, I would be interested in checking out the steering rack, but I’m sure it could be the result of many suspension components, brake drag, etc. Seems like the logical course is to give it to the dealer and tell them to call you when its fixed. Although it would have been preferable to do that before the installation of any after-market equipment.
I actually thought about that and forgot to mention it. When I switched wheels there were no indications of uneven tire wear, which is the other thing that led me to conclude its not alignment.
      07-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
What tires you using an size?

My car has a slight pull to the left usually, but the roads are so uneven where I live, its hard to say if its just not from that.
As of now: Fr. 255/30/20 R. 295/25/20. I used to run 255/35/19 and 295/30/19. Both sets were vredestein. And before that it used to be stock tires.
      07-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

my car has a slight pull to the right as well. if i let go of the wheel, it will drift to the right slowly but not quickly. i havent figured out if its just the road thats causing it to do this.

i perform an alignment at a reputable shop twice a year so its definitely not the alignment. the problem is slight so i am choosing to live with it for now. also i dont get any uneven tire wear.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

shooting in the dark, but..

I have, on rare occasions run into bad tires which can be diagnosed by switching from side to side. Don't see how that could be the problem with 3 different sets of tires.

Is it possible dsc is messed up and holding a brake? What happens with dsc completely off?

Could be a brake dragging, problem with limited slip diff, ????
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
zamm3k
Bla!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
my car has a slight pull to the right as well. if i let go of the wheel, it will drift to the right slowly but not quickly. i havent figured out if its just the road thats causing it to do this.

i perform an alignment at a reputable shop twice a year so its definitely not the alignment. the problem is slight so i am choosing to live with it for now. also i dont get any uneven tire wear.
Yeah, mine is a bit annowing but I've learned to live with it. I can travel at high speeds and accelerate the car hard with no issues, but it's still something I'd rather fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekSelmanRacing View Post
shooting in the dark, but..

I have, on rare occasions run into bad tires which can be diagnosed by switching from side to side. Don't see how that could be the problem with 3 different sets of tires.

Is it possible dsc is messed up and holding a brake? What happens with dsc completely off?

Could be a brake dragging, problem with limited slip diff, ????
Good question, I'll test with DSC off and report back when I can on this.

The main issue with taking it to the dealer is I know the first response I'll get. "aftermarket suspension wheels and tires".