BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

About the brake fluid..

hi,i need help about the brake fluid,how much Brake fluid do i need for e92 m3 ? its time to change the fluid now,do you guys recommand OEM fluid or motul 600 or even castrol SRF ?

thank you!

Last edited by JOM3JO; 07-03-2011 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Not sure how much you need but SRF is the best.

The boiling points of Motul and Ate blue are pretty close, but Ate is CHEAP.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep

cool...thanx...im about to order the SRF,but im not sure how much should i get? anyone knows?

thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I typically order 500 ml Motul when I bleed my brakes. But there is typically quite a bit of left over.

Note: when you bleed your brakes, that does not replace all the fluid in your brake system. To bleed the entire system you will need a car computer to cycle the ABS/DSC.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep

i think i will do full brake fulid change,im going to BMW dealer to do it and i will bring my own brake fluid,but im not sure how much fluid do i need?

thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post

Note: when you bleed your brakes, that does not replace all the fluid in your brake system. To bleed the entire system you will need a car computer to cycle the ABS/DSC.
Why would you worry about that? The fluid doesn't circulate and who cares what's up in the abs pump unless the fluids are not compatible.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOM3JO View Post
i think i will do full brake fulid change,im going to BMW dealer to do it and i will bring my own brake fluid,but im not sure how much fluid do i need?

thank you!
I and others have had good luck with Motul 600. It's reasonable and unless you are doing really severe use or really long track stints you should be fine. I've melted a set of street pads before my fluid boiled.

Also, why don't you do this yourself? It's not difficult, just suction out as much as you can from the reservoir, fill with your new brake fluid and then you and a buddy (mate ) flush/bleed the system one corner at a time. The other advantage of the Motul is that it's a different color than stock and you'll see when the new fluid has reached the caliper.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep

thanx for reply...i havent done the brake fluid myself before,i heard might get air or bubble inside,i have no idea how to do,and also i need BMW to reset the brake fluid warming light for me as well...is there any good DIY for brake fluid change? is 1 liter ehough?

thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
To bleed the entire system you will need a car computer to cycle the ABS/DSC.
No, you don't. If you let the fluid turn black, then it's advisable to do that, but if you do it early, no need to IMO. That's why I do it once about once a year, when fluid is still in good shape. By the way, if you're going to bleed the system, do the entire system. Just bleeding the reservoir is crazy. And don't forget the clutch. DCTs might have brake fluid in the hydraulic actuator that needs replacing too, but I don't know the specifics on that. The 6MT clutch is relatively easy once you remove the tranny belly pan. It's a plastic valve, and it's not easy to reach, so you'll have to be patient. I personally like to use vacuum, including the clutch. Since you need to lift the car to do the clutch, doing the brake bleed job with the car lifted will be a lot easier. I removed the front wheels, but not the rear ones.

Oh, you'll need ONE LITER to do the job, but it'll BARELY be enough if you include the clutch. And no, the clutch valve is NOT a check valve folks . I thought it was, and let air in the system. Needed an extra liter to purge the sucker.

Finally, it's quite easy to reset the computer for the brake fluid, oil change, and whatever else you want. Just do a search. I've done it twice already, but don't experiment yourself if it's your first time. Find somebody who knows how to do it, and learn from him. Start a thread in your regional forum for a 'tech day', offer to buy pizza, and you'll probably get at least one volunteer. And if you want to change the tranny and/or differential fluid, remember car has to be leveled. I did all of that not long ago in one shot. Good luck.

EDIT: Since I don't track my car, I used Castrol GT LMA (Dot 3/4), made in Germany. Quite cheap ($9), and a great fluid. That's why I do it once a year < he he>.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
JuniorM3
Captain
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 CP GT3

If you do a propper bleed you'll need at least one liter. I'd buy two liters.

After every day you track your car you have to bleed the brakes, to just refresh the oil that gets hot in the calipers. That's what i do.

Go for the SRF it's the best, i use it in all the racing cars.
      07-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #11
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep

cool....thanx everyone....thats why I love this forum...its very helpful place!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

I asked my BMW tech and he said to get 3 bottles of 500ml (so 1.5L) to get a good flush
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

this is what I'm going to order:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motul...Q5fAccessories
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep

thanx again....i have already order 2 liter of SRF,i used motul on my X-sti..love them...just want try something different....
Appreciate 0