BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

Dumb Question: Torquing Down Top Shock Nut

I haven't actually tried it yet but it's been confusing me so I figured I'd ask. How do you torque down the nut on the top of the shock rod without the rod just spinning?

My car also has EDC. Do I need to get the rod back into a certain position to reconnect the EDC plug on the top?
      06-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
I haven't actually tried it yet but it's been confusing me so I figured I'd ask. How do you torque down the nut on the top of the shock rod without the rod just spinning?

My car also has EDC. Do I need to get the rod back into a certain position to reconnect the EDC plug on the top?
For torquing the top nut (and for anything else involving the top nut) you need a 22mm strut socket.

I have this one: http://www.europaparts.com/specialty..._store=default although there's no guarantee it will work with an EDC strut. It's thin wall and hollow all the way through, so a 3/8 hex head socket or regular socket just goes down the center onto the top of the strut shaft while the outer socket holds the nut. You put a torque wrench in the square hole and you can tighten it to the correct torque every time. Makes taking the strut apart a breeze too.

There are other designs that work as well, and if there's enough room, an offset 22mm box wrench will work too, provided you can find one.

I can't help you with clocking the EDC plug though.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think the nut on the M3 is 21mm. I'm not sure if that particular tool would work because you need to get a 10mm socket on the end of the shock rod. It sounds like you need a hex wrench for the top of the Audi/VW shocks.

No one really seems to address this in any of the DIYs on here or e90post. I think I can get it tightened down with the impact wrench but I won't know how tight it is.
      06-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #4
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

1. Hand tighten the nut until snug.
2. Use a 10mm socket to hold the shaft.
3. While holding the shaft, use an open ended wrench to turn the nut. (note: do NOT use the socket to turn the shaft)
4. Once the nut becomes snug, remove the 10mm socket. Use a 21mm socket to torque down the nut to 64 N-m.

The EDC plug is designed to rotate freely around the shaft.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

The tool is double ended with a 21mm end and a 22mm end. A 10mm deep socket fits down the middle.

I'm sure rldzhao's method will work fine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
I think the nut on the M3 is 21mm. I'm not sure if that particular tool would work because you need to get a 10mm socket on the end of the shock rod. It sounds like you need a hex wrench for the top of the Audi/VW shocks.

No one really seems to address this in any of the DIYs on here or e90post. I think I can get it tightened down with the impact wrench but I won't know how tight it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
1. Hand tighten the nut until snug.
2. Use a 10mm socket to hold the shaft.
3. While holding the shaft, use an open ended wrench to turn the nut. (note: do NOT use the socket to turn the shaft)
4. Once the nut becomes snug, remove the 10mm socket. Use a 21mm socket to torque down the nut to 64 N-m.

The EDC plug is designed to rotate freely around the shaft.

Thank you so much for the reply. That's much more simple than I was making it in my head. I was worried the shock rod would just rotate while trying to torque the nut to spec.

On another note, is there any problem using an impact wrench to remove the the shock rod top nut? Hopefully not since I already did.
      06-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

I just looked at thew GC instructions...very bad...pics dont even show some of the parts...Jay needs to improve the instructions with color photos with step by step.
Appreciate 0