BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Need front Camber Plates

I have to reduce my outside tire wear, improve turn-in and limit understeer. I want to use camber plates only, no springs, coilovers, etc. at this point. I'd prefer adjustable plates, but some of those come in cool colors and are probably a dead giveaway at the dealership during regular maintenance? I don't need to be flagged.

Adjustable plates that I've read about include:
1. Vorshlag
2. Ground Control
3. Does Turner make some that are not listed?
4. Others?

Fixed Plates:
1. Dinan
2. Others?

Also, is there a camber plate only solution out there that doesn't raise the front ride height? If no, how much does each set raise the height and is this just an aesthetic issue?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Mavrick151
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

What level of adjustably are you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

There are no camber plates except the Dinan plates that work with stock diameter springs.

First thing to try is to remove the front camber pins. that should get you -0.7 more camber. On stock springs, you'll probably get to -1.3 or there abouts. Beyond that is going to be replacing shocks and springs with something height adjustable or using the Dinan plates (which really only raise the car 1/4")

DSC_3369 by Kit W, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick151 View Post
What level of adjustably are you looking for?
Wanted to get at least -1.5 or -2 degrees.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
There are no camber plates except the Dinan plates that work with stock diameter springs.

First thing to try is to remove the front camber pins. that should get you -0.7 more camber. On stock springs, you'll probably get to -1.3 or there abouts. Beyond that is going to be replacing shocks and springs with something height adjustable or using the Dinan plates (which really only raise the car 1/4")
Ahhhhh. I didn't realize that the Dinan camber plates required the removal of the pins. Now that I think about it I guess it makes sense. I've just never taken a look at the suspension assembly before. I was planning on doing the pin removal as well, so I suppose I could be looking at a total of -2 degrees with the pin removal and Dinan plates. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

Not sure I'll need them yet, but I suspect I will; first track outing for the new E90 will be June 11.

Anybody make camber plates for a 2011 E90, ZCP, EDC; and do they change ride height?

joel
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
chili cheese
Major
Rep

I think the answer to your question is in post #3.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Mavrick151
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Go with the Dinan plates.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
VSmotorsports
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Ground Control is a good option. We installed a set on a customers car with stock suspension and they worked out great.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSmotorsports View Post
Ground Control is a good option. We installed a set on a customers car with stock suspension and they worked out great.

How much did it raise the front end? I thought that all of the adjustable camber plates were at least 1/2" or more tall and would add that height to the front suspension. Is that true or did you use shorter springs in front?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #11
Eddy@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
How much did it raise the front end? I thought that all of the adjustable camber plates were at least 1/2" or more tall and would add that height to the front suspension. Is that true or did you use shorter springs in front?
fixed camber plates will add stack height as it just shims the stock assembly further in. a camber plate like the Ground-control unit replaces the entire upper assembly and will have a lower stack height then the stock unit. so you're car will be lowered a little.

Ground controls unit is the only true camber plate I know of that works with the stock springs and EDC. The Dinan plate is a waste.

They seem to have two versions. I'm not 100% sure what the difference is a their site has no product description. it might just be a revision of the upper spring perch
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post
fixed camber plates will add stack height as it just shims the stock assembly further in. a camber plate like the Ground-control unit replaces the entire upper assembly and will have a lower stack height then the stock unit. so you're car will be lowered a little.

Ground controls unit is the only true camber plate I know of that works with the stock springs and EDC. The Dinan plate is a waste.

They seem to have two versions. I'm not 100% sure what the difference is a their site has no product description. it might just be a revision of the upper spring perch
ground control had a version for the E90, I didn't realize they released them for the M3. Interesting. The Dinan plate is functional and definitely not going to make as much noise or harshness as the monoball Ground Controls. And no, the additional rubber/urethane that GC adds to their "street" plates are not an adequate solution.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
Platfawrm
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
ground control had a version for the E90, I didn't realize they released them for the M3. Interesting. The Dinan plate is functional and definitely not going to make as much noise or harshness as the monoball Ground Controls. And no, the additional rubber/urethane that GC adds to their "street" plates are not an adequate solution.
Ground control street/hybrid plates do add any type of noise/harness to the vehicle. Their camber plates can be configured to work with stock style springs.

Hands down GC has the best camber plates on the market.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
kitw
Colonel
Rep

Ok, wow, looks like they have done a different plate for the E9x. I'll have to check them out. Looks like it is a stock style plate with a large thrust bearing. I like.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #15
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Ok, wow, looks like they have done a different plate for the E9x. I'll have to check them out. Looks like it is a stock style plate with a large thrust bearing. I like.
What happens to the stock "rubber" strut travel limiter with the GC camber plates? Is that eliminated and replaced, if so by what? I thought that it (stock bushing) had some sort of progressive resistance that was unique and helpful given the limited travel of the stock M3 suspension.

Last edited by VictorH; 06-02-2011 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: clarify
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #16
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

is ground control camber plate fixed or adjustable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpro21 View Post

06-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Unless you track your car, couldnt imagine a need for camber plates, esp if you pull the pins out, giving close to -2 just from that move.

Also, dont think dealer will notice camber plate install unless they look closely as they arent visible from strut tower brace points inside the engine bay...the plastic cover from EDC covers it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
I have to reduce my outside tire wear, improve turn-in and limit understeer. I want to use camber plates only, no springs, coilovers, etc. at this point. I'd prefer adjustable plates, but some of those come in cool colors and are probably a dead giveaway at the dealership during regular maintenance? I don't need to be flagged.

Adjustable plates that I've read about include:
1. Vorshlag
2. Ground Control
3. Does Turner make some that are not listed?
4. Others?

Fixed Plates:
1. Dinan
2. Others?

Also, is there a camber plate only solution out there that doesn't raise the front ride height? If no, how much does each set raise the height and is this just an aesthetic issue?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
Unless you track your car, couldnt imagine a need for camber plates, esp if you pull the pins out, giving close to -2 just from that move.

Also, dont think dealer will notice camber plate install unless they look closely as they arent visible from strut tower brace points inside the engine bay...the plastic cover from EDC covers it up.
chillicheese's tires:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534485

If he gets some plates and runs -2, he maybe able to use those PS2's on the street for a few thousand miles!!
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #19
jeff4598
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C HS, DCT, much Dinan

Strongly disagree re camber plates on the street- BEST mod I have done MAJOR impact on control and fun to drive at moderate speeds around town-NOT for track only, not at all.

Last edited by jeff4598; 06-04-2011 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #20
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Hmm...you can get -2 camber by pulling pins without a camber plate...so this implies you will be running -2.5 to -3.5?...good way to wear out inner tread too quickly unless you are driving very aggressively on the street which prob isnt a great idea anyway...also, car is way too twitchy on the street at -3 or more imho.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #21
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Have you seen anyone get -2 by pulling the pins?
I've seen -1.7, which is pretty good, but not the same as -2.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #22
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

-2 won't happen on stock springs even without the pins. Won't even get close to that.