BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

i-drive on 1M

While it's nice to have all the benefits of I-drive, at the same time I still like the classic BMW stereo display, and also would at times prefer to not have the large, bright nav screen, mounted atop the dash, glaring back at me. Especially in the evening. I do own an iPod, and the standard head unit does provide a link, with basic display of song title, artist, etc. - if I'm not mistaken.

Do others generally agree that i-drive, while great, isn't a must-have?

The price of the convenience package is another factor. And 1M is a back to basics car.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
KIYO
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

I didn't order the i-drive as well. The point of 1M for me was a light weight sporty car. Thus no navi.

I thought it would be like this when I didn't order the navi according to the BMW.at web site. I liked the simple dash.
http://www.bmw.at/at/de/newvehicles/...isualizer.html

But since the Ablagenpaket (storage package) was not able to take off in Austria, it will be like this, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #3
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIYO View Post
I didn't order the i-drive as well. The point of 1M for me was a light weight sporty car. Thus no navi.

I thought it would be like this when I didn't order the navi according to the BMW.at web site. I liked the simple dash.
http://www.bmw.at/at/de/newvehicles/...isualizer.html

But since the Ablagenpaket (storage package) was not able to take off in Austria, it will be like this, unfortunately.
I've never seen this so called ablagenpaket and you say it comes stock in Austria? So i'm wondering,could it be ordered as a stand alone option in Europe? Do you know cuz maybe i would be interested
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs/e60/1m? View Post
I've never seen this so called ablagenpaket and you say it comes stock in Austria? So i'm wondering,could it be ordered as a stand alone option in Europe? Do you know cuz maybe i would be interested
it is bmw code nr. 493 - comes as standard in austria - can be ordered in germany for € 130,--

it consists of: luggage nets on the back of the seats, cupholder, storage on top of dashboard (not in combination with navi), 12v socket in the trunk, 2 lashing points and 2 lashing straps in the trunk, adjustable luggage net in the trunk right side

where is the config function on bmw.be?

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
While it's nice to have all the benefits of I-drive, at the same time I still like the classic BMW stereo display, and also would at times prefer to not have the large, bright nav screen, mounted atop the dash, glaring back at me. Especially in the evening. I do own an iPod, and the standard head unit does provide a link, with basic display of song title, artist, etc. - if I'm not mistaken.

The price of the convenience package is another factor. And 1M is a back to basics car.
I don't care for the screen either especially at night and don't like the bulge in the middle either. I like the simpler controls better too. The only feature that sounds cool for me on I-drive is the memory for your CDs, but with an Ipod, not sure why it matters. More stuff to break. I think IPod is brilliant.

As far as NAV, this type of car is one you WANT to get lost in or take the long way. It's not a transportation appliance to get you from point A to Point B. Other cars do it more efficiently so I really don't get NAV on this type of car BUT I respect people's choice to get it since they are spending their hard-earned money on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

For better future value I would include nav...plus if you want BMW apps it is a must.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
For better future value I would include nav...plus if you want BMW apps it is a must.
I respectfully disagree, in this type of car. In a 5 series, 3 series automatic etc. People feel they have to have all the gadgets. This car only comes in manual which means only real car guys and gals are interested in it since only 10%-15% of the population drives manuals.

A few of those are low end Nissans, Hondas so in 5 years, the person looking for a used 1M will be an aficionado who can drive manual.

In order to get NAV you have to buy two packages. The Convenience Package at $2700 plus Premium Package at $2400. That totals $5100. There are no discounts off MSRP either so you have to pay the posted price. Now add the cost of sales tax 8.75% in california and that adds $446.25. Total cost for NAV is $5546.25.

Furthermore, if you finance, you can add interest on 5gs and in California annual registration is based of cars selling price so your annual registration will go up too!

So the let's just go with 5.5K up front cost. I can tell you with absolute certainty that if you have two identical 1Ms in five years one with no options and with NAV and all those options, that you will not get $5500 more for the car...If you are lucky you might get $2000-$2500 more but you spent $5500 plus to get that extra money. Your net loss is over $3000.

to make matters worse when you are trying to sell it, you will most likely have to spend more money to update NAV software, repair an electronic gizmo etc to get it sale ready. I am an I.T. guy and I can tell you that hard drives both spinning and solid-state have life spans and before selling your car, you might have to throw a few hundred more dollars to replace the hard drive.

So the bottom line is, if you want the stuff buy it because you want it NOT solely for resale value.

I know people that buy silver or white cars and automatics for resale value, then years down the road all the cars are silver and white automatic. guess what, that doesn't make your car any more special or valuable.

Last edited by nachob; 05-28-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #8
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:

I had the flip screen in my e82, but I think this screen can be turned off.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenbrauezug View Post
I had the flip screen in my e82, but I think this screen can be turned off.
Now that's what I had preferred. But no they went for something I don't like so they left me with no other choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Funny how different preferences are. I hate the older flip screen! Much prefer the current style.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I respectfully disagree, in this type of car. In a 5 series, 3 series automatic etc. People feel they have to have all the gadgets. This car only comes in manual which means only real car guys and gals are interested in it since only 10%-15% of the population drives manuals.

A few of those are low end Nissans, Hondas so in 5 years, the person looking for a used 1M will be an aficionado who can drive manual.

In order to get NAV you have to buy two packages. The Convenience Package at $2700 plus Premium Package at $2400. That totals $5100. There are no discounts off MSRP either so you have to pay the posted price. Now add the cost of sales tax 8.75% in california and that adds $446.25. Total cost for NAV is $5546.25.

Furthermore, if you finance, you can add interest on 5gs and in California annual registration is based of cars selling price so your annual registration will go up too!

So the let's just go with 5.5K up front cost. I can tell you with absolute certainty that if you have two identical 1Ms in five years one with no options and with NAV and all those options, that you will not get $5500 more for the car...If you are lucky you might get $2000-$2500 more but you spent $5500 plus to get that extra money. Your net loss is over $3000.

to make matters worse when you are trying to sell it, you will most likely have to spend more money to update NAV software, repair an electronic gizmo etc to get it sale ready. I am an I.T. guy and I can tell you that hard drives both spinning and solid-state have life spans and before selling your car, you might have to throw a few hundred more dollars to replace the hard drive.

So the bottom line is, if you want the stuff buy it because you want it NOT solely for resale value.

I know people that buy silver or white cars and automatics for resale value, then years down the road all the cars are silver and white automatic. guess what, that doesn't make your car any more special or valuable.

respectfully disagree.....just look at the majority of orders and they are mostly with nav...down the line when resale comes to the front....most likely buyers will ALSO want nav just like the first owners ordered...performance car or not
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
This car only comes in manual which means only real car guys and gals are interested in it since only 10%-15% of the population drives manuals.
LOL... Another one who thinks the US of A is the center of the world.
In Europe, 15%-20% of the polulation drives automatic, and the other 80% drives manual.

Or maybe it means Europe has much more real guys and gals, as per your definition
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedemon View Post
respectfully disagree.....just look at the majority of orders and they are mostly with nav...down the line when resale comes to the front....most likely buyers will ALSO want nav just like the first owners ordered...performance car or not
I doubt buyers 5-10 years from now would prefer an outdated NAV, especially because I think most would be looking for a track car and not a DD . Look at how much technology has changed in the last 3 years. 10 years ago we werent even texting on our cell phones.

Ive mentioned this before, go look at the NAV in a 2000 car or an 05 and compare those 2 with what we have today in 2011. Would you want that NAV from 2000 in a used car you are looking at today? I certainly wouldnt.

A tape deck used to cost more, I dont think used cars with tape decks sell for premiums above models with basic radios... I realize its not apples to apples, but antiquated is antiquated.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #14
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution80 View Post
it is bmw code nr. 493 - comes as standard in austria - can be ordered in germany for € 130,--

it consists of: luggage nets on the back of the seats, cupholder, storage on top of dashboard (not in combination with navi), 12v socket in the trunk, 2 lashing points and 2 lashing straps in the trunk, adjustable luggage net in the trunk right side

where is the config function on bmw.be?
Oke! found it € 135 for the package thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
A number of years ago AC was optional as well. If I was buying a 5 year old car I certainly would want one with AC. In the coming years Nav will be standard on most cars. Buying a new car today with Nav will increase the potential sales marker should you sell in the future.

Quote:

Fortunately in Canada Nav is a standalone option for 2k. Paid up front or financed is a good deal IMO.

Quote:

I am also in the technology field and a big attraction to the new 1 series is the introduction of BMW Apps which is the main reason I included the Nav option in my order.

So what if you have to spend a few bucks to upgrade the maps. As for HDD or other parts...warranty will cover those.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #16
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Disagree for long-term cars. Nav, like all similar tech, dates very quickly - you've only got to look at the difference in pro nav between 08/08 and 09/08 models. I'd be shitty finding out one month would have made all the difference if I'd ordered pro nav at that time.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
and also would at times prefer to not have the large, bright nav screen, mounted atop the dash, glaring back at me. Especially in the evening.
Don't know about the current version of idrive but in my '07 335i I can turn the screen off. Check your manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
JimBilly
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: waiting for the 1M

I would be pretty surprised if someone who does not want to pack their car with options because of NAV screen glare, weight, and/or complexity, etc goes against their preferences and purchases $5k with options because of speculation on the future value of the car.

But it seems that some do, in fact, purchase what they want and then use other reasons to justify their purchase to themselves and others.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I doubt buyers 5-10 years from now would prefer an outdated NAV, especially because I think most would be looking for a track car and not a DD . Look at how much technology has changed in the last 3 years. 10 years ago we werent even texting on our cell phones.

Ive mentioned this before, go look at the NAV in a 2000 car or an 05 and compare those 2 with what we have today in 2011. Would you want that NAV from 2000 in a used car you are looking at today? I certainly wouldnt.

A tape deck used to cost more, I dont think used cars with tape decks sell for premiums above models with basic radios... I realize its not apples to apples, but antiquated is antiquated.

LOL. What about my Eight tracks? I agree with Papethova in that the used market will look for this car primarily as a track car due to the 6 speed, wider footprint/suspension and the lack of a sunroof (headroom for a helmeted driver)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #20
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Don't know about the current version of idrive but in my '07 335i I can turn the screen off. Check your manual.
Yes, but then you lose functionality, e.g., if you want to change the radio station and see what you're doing, you would have to turn on the screen, no?

With the standard radio head unit, there is no need to turn on/off.

Besides, the classic (plain) dash is still quite nice.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Yes, but then you lose functionality, e.g., if you want to change the radio station and see what you're doing, you would have to turn on the screen, no?

With the standard radio head unit, there is no need to turn on/off.

Besides, the classic (plain) dash is still quite nice.
The radio and player still work. Put your stations on memory buttons and you don't need the screen. I'm not trying to sell the idea, it's just that you mentioned the glare and I was offering a solution, albeit a compromise solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 04:21 AM   #22
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
The radio and player still work. Put your stations on memory buttons and you don't need the screen. I'm not trying to sell the idea, it's just that you mentioned the glare and I was offering a solution, albeit a compromise solution.
Or just use voice control