BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Anyone Ordering Theirs without any packages?

The appeal of this car for me is that it takes me back to when I was younger and all I cared about was making the car go faster, handle better and stop sooner. The car I am trying to buy has no options except satellite radio. I want the lightest possible car with least amount of gadgets to break. I plan to drive this a few years, pay it off and keep it a long time.

Anyone out here ordering theirs stripped?

I know everyone has their reasons for ordering NAV and all that stuff and don't want to debate options, I was just curious if am the only guy that wants theirs stripped, as light and as raw as possible?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
MNavigator
Private
Rep
Drives: EJ207

No you are not the only one, that's exactly how I ordered mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
mm21
Rep
Drives: GTI

Ordered mine without either of the 2 packages but did get HK Audio, Sat, and Heated Seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The appeal of this car for me is that it takes me back to when I was younger and all I cared about was making the car go faster, handle better and stop sooner. The car I am trying to buy has no options except satellite radio. I want the lightest possible car with least amount of gadgets to break. I plan to drive this a few years, pay it off and keep it a long time.

Anyone out here ordering theirs stripped?

I know everyone has their reasons for ordering NAV and all that stuff and don't want to debate options, I was just curious if am the only guy that wants theirs stripped, as light and as raw as possible?
There are others who did the same thing, as long as you don't plan on selling it then it should be fine. Because if you try to sell it without basic features such as bluetooth, it will be hard to find a buyer.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm21 View Post
Ordered mine without either of the 2 packages but did get HK Audio, Sat, and Heated Seats.
Yes! good loud music is part of the old-school raw experience I might reconsider that one!

I know I could shave a second or two off my lap time with some Journey playing full-blast!

: )
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNavigator View Post
No you are not the only one, that's exactly how I ordered mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

JMO but iDrive, power seats, comfy access and other such crap have no place on a car like this. On a 535i, sure, all of that stuff would be appropriate. I guess that's why they call them "options" though.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

No packages on mine either. Just the HK sound, IPOD/USB connectivity and BMW assist with Bluetooth (had no choice on this last one).

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT

For now I have every option ordered except satellite radio, but I’ve been mulling over whether or not I should just get a stripped car, which is still very nicely equipped anyway. I do want to keep the car for a long time, and I just hate having things broken or outdated in few years. For example, I don’t know how long the satellite navigation’s LCD will last. Technologies such as Bluetooth, USB, and that new BMW Apps get outdated very quickly. The car may last 10 years or more, but the gadgets may not, so you end up carrying a bunch of useless gadgets in the car. Besides, not having power seats, satellite navigation, etc. ought to save quite a few pounds. Decisions…decisions…
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M12Power View Post
For now I have every option ordered except satellite radio, but I’ve been mulling over whether or not I should just get a stripped car, which is still very nicely equipped anyway. I do want to keep the car for a long time, and I just hate having things broken or outdated in few years. For example, I don’t know how long the satellite navigation’s LCD will last. Technologies such as Bluetooth, USB, and that new BMW Apps get outdated very quickly. The car may last 10 years or more, but the gadgets may not, so you end up carrying a bunch of useless gadgets in the car. Besides, not having power seats, satellite navigation, etc. ought to save quite a few pounds. Decisions…decisions…
When I bought my E46 I really wanted HID headlights but Manual Transmission was more important. The MT car I found had regular headlights. I was even thinking off retrofitting them but never did. Then one day a bulb burned out and I went to the dealer to buy a bulb. The guy told me the bulb was about $400. I almost choked, then I told him I didn't have HIDs. He said, oh, $39.99 for a pair of bulbs!

NOW, I'm glad I don't have HIDs. The Halogens are fine and no problems. My wife's GTI already has had a bulb and leveling unit replaced and it's a 2008. If you plan to keep the car, the stuff breaks eventually or becomes outdated. Also "loaded" is the new norm. Before the 1M, I was looking for an 2008 M3 basic unit. Non existent on autotrader. The rare BMW is now the stripper IMHO.

Anyway, these cars are pleasure toys, whether you get your pleasure from gadgets or raw performance but I think it's really cool that there are other guys like me out there.".There was a video of Dr. Kay when he said "some guys will take the 1M just like this..no options." I thought, that was cool. Finally someone at BMW thinking of the "freaky stripper people."
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

I ordered mine with HK and the package that had the lumbar support for the seats. I don't understand how they could sell sport seats without lumbar support, but thats the marketing folks. If I could of - I would of ordered HK and lumber support and that would have been it. But I'm excited anyway. The ship is supposed to arrive on Wednesday!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

My list of options is iPod/USB, BMW Assist with Bluetooth and heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

I think it all depends on the main function of the vehicle. Weekend cruiser, DE track events, skip all the options. If you are using it for everyday like me, load it up. I will enjoy both the performance and modern conveniences. The weight issue to me is nonexistent. Maybe in 5-10 years I will strip it all out for a track rat. As of now, a few pounds here and there make no difference in real world experience. So mine is fully loaded, every option.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

If I want a 1M which will be a striper (means zero option). My current 135i is also a striper with the sport suspension since I wanted the thick M steering wheel and the sport seats.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I know I could shave a second or two off my lap time with some Journey playing full-blast!

: )
LOL!!!
"Don't stop, believin'.... Hold on to that feelin'.......... Streetlight, people"
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #16
PDXBMR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M

My gut says to go without the nav. I hate excess interior lights at night. But I do like technology. I am leaning towards just the Hk system, heated seats and iPod. I do like keyless start/stop though...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXBMR View Post
My gut says to go without the nav. I hate excess interior lights at night. But I do like technology. I am leaning towards just the Hk system, heated seats and iPod. I do like keyless start/stop though...

For the US at least, the keyless stop start (comfort access) requires both premium and convenience packages... one of which includes NAV.. which means you are going to make it nearly fully loaded... that's about 4-5K in packages for that single option.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
For the US at least, the keyless stop start (comfort access) requires both premium and convenience packages... one of which includes NAV.. which means you are going to make it nearly fully loaded... that's about 4-5K in packages for that single option.
Yeah, that's a lot of money for one option. I am trying to do ED with my wife for 10 days and that's about what we will spend.

I think if I picked keyless over 10 days in Europe with the wife, she would leave me! : )
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #19
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
I think it all depends on the main function of the vehicle. Weekend cruiser, DE track events, skip all the options. If you are using it for everyday like me, load it up. I will enjoy both the performance and modern conveniences. The weight issue to me is nonexistent. Maybe in 5-10 years I will strip it all out for a track rat. As of now, a few pounds here and there make no difference in real world experience. So mine is fully loaded, every option.
Actually this is probably the best answer about options. Is the car going to primarily be a weekend driving toy or will it be a daily driver/commuter? How much time is spent in the car and under what conditions should be a good dictator of what options you know you'd actually use vs. options that would become totally superfluous and a waste of money. My car is basically a toy car that I don't spend extended periods of time in, so I know for a fact I'd never pay for things like Bluetooth or heated seats or Ipod adapters if I were to spec a car. It would just be a waste of money for stuff I'd never use.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
M12Power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
My list of options is iPod/USB, BMW Assist with Bluetooth and heated seats.
Don't heated seats require power seats?

Any reason why you're opting for heated seats? I know Dallas has had brutal winters (relatively speaking of course) the last two years, but IMO it's still not cold enough to really warrant heated seats.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:

Any reason why you're opting for heated seats? I know Dallas has had brutal winters (relatively speaking of course) the last two years, but IMO it's still not cold enough to really warrant heated seats.

AFAIK, power function is not required. I am sure they are separate circuitry. The E30 M3 had heated seats as an option, and no such thing as power seats back then from BMW.

Agree that it doesn't get super cold here, but about two to three weeks a year it drops into the 20s here, and I've come to enjoy heated seats in my Subaru Legacy GT and my Ford Expedition (heated and cooled seats!) and for $500, it's a minor expense on the 1M. The plan is for this car to be mostly an extra car/track car... but it's possible that circumstances for me change.. so if it becomes my daily driver, then it will have some comforts.

If I lived about three hours further south in Austin, I'd leave the heated seats out.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #22
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:

I have manual heated seats in the 135.

The girls like it!!
Appreciate 0