BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

Sintered Pad Recommendation

I just read through the links in the sticky on choosing pads and it sounds like sintered pads might be a good track option for me. I'll probably be doing a few HPDE events and open lapping days and would like a pad that I can swap out for those events. I figured the sintered par would be the way to go as it doesn't require bedding.

I've searched the forums for feedback on pads but haven't seen much mentioned about whether the pads people are reviewing are sintered or metallic and most websites selling pads don't seem to mention much one way or another either.

Can someone recommend some sintered pad options? Am I overlooking metallic pads too quickly?

Thanks!
      05-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
DTM-POWER
Debonair
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, 650hp Evo X

I don't care what anyone says. Every full race pad needs bedded. Just its only 1-3 laps.

I've had the best success with DCT-70s for initial hot bite and temp and also last the longest in my evo. I plan on running a set when I get my m3 but the stock calipers/rotors just aren't going to be able to take any track use even with full race pads I'm expecting.
      05-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM-POWER View Post
I don't care what anyone says. Every full race pad needs bedded.

+1
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

So would the bedding process just be less intensive?

The only sintered pads I've come across so far are the CL pads on Essexparts.com

Edit: After reading more about the bedding and swapping process I could be talked into some metallic pads too.
      05-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
madmaxhk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
So would the bedding process just be less intensive?

The only sintered pads I've come across so far are the CL pads on Essexparts.com

Edit: After reading more about the bedding and swapping process I could be talked into some metallic pads too.
+1 on the CL brakes. I have them on my cars, Lotus Exige, BMW 135i and Evo X. The pads have excellent initial cold bite. The only problem is the heat might transfer to the brake fluid.
The CL brake doesn't come with any back plate. I will recommend install the Titanimun heat shield shim from hardbrakes.com
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Sorry for thread revival. The Rc5+ seem like an excellent track/street compromise sintered pad for my BMW 135i.

Im looking into these, and I think Essex Race Parts is the only reseller in the US...
http://www.essexparts.com/shop/brake...-pads-152.html

"The RC5+ is CL’s latest offering, and was developed with the autoX and track day crowd squarely in mind. It is a well-mannered race pad, with lower noise, low dust, and a lower coefficient of friction. The beauty of this compound is that despite its mild manners, it still retains a very high max operating temperature. It is a great choice for lighter cars on race tires, or heavy, high power cars on street tires. The failure mechanism of this pad is one of its greatest strengths. If you do happen to push it over its temperature threshold, bite slowly tapers away rather than falling off a cliff, so you’ll easily recognize when it’s time to back off. It’s extremely wear resistant, and doesn’t destroy rotors with pad deposits when pushed to their temperature envelope. The RC5+ is a great rear pad option for those who like a more front biased setup with the RC6 or RC6E compound up front."

Essex Part # 07 4156 17.0 RC5+
Manufacturer Part # 4156RC5+
FMSI #
Composition Sintered
Category Club Sport/Full Race
Max Operating Temp* 1800F
Dust Moderate
Noise Low to Moderate
Bite / Mu Moderate to High
Judder/Vibration Very Low
Pad wear Low
Rotor wear Low
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #7
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

I looked into the CL sintered pads a while ago. They work well for the track but they're basically metal-on-metal, so when they're cold they can erode your rotors very quickly. The good news is they don't need bedding and they work well hot.
Appreciate 0