BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Putting the 1M on the Track

I was recently reading the article posted by the M engineer Jurgen Schwenker...

He was quoted as answering the following:

" Are there rules for running the turbo when cold, or is this an "urban legend”?

This is no urban legend - the turbocharger comes under high thermal stress and can become red-hot when running under maximum load. The charger is lubricated and cooled by means of the engine oil. Cooling is also achieved by means of the cooling water, so that the pump for this is allowed to continue to run as necessary. Nonetheless, the oil can tend to coke in the bearings if the engine is switched off under extreme conditions. The problem described can occur after maximum stresses, as on the racetrack for example. There is no doubt that, after a longer period of use at full throttle, it would do no harm to allow the car a chance to cool down under normal conditions. The instructions in the operating manual should be observed."

First there is absolutely NO mention of any of this material in the user manual...

Can someone with lots of track experience elaborate?

This quote reads in the following way to me, It says that yes you can go to the track and gradually build speed and exercise full-throttle activity. However, when you are at full throttle for session after session it is best to allow the vehicle to cool down (instinct tells me that it "should" have a cool down lap and if there is no such lap then it should have 5 - 10 mins of idle time in the paddock to allow the cooling system a chance to catch up with the speed).

While cooling down I am instinctually include to open the engine compartment to allow a majority of the heat to dissipate.

Following at least the 10 mins of idle time, it would then be "more safe" to turn the vehicle off.

Are there any other specific methods that one should adhere to when traveling to the track in regards to building up speed and cooling the vehicle down?

We have a very different philosophy when we ride out bikes at the track (in sum: warm up the oil, drive the hell out of the engine and then if the bike radiators are not blowing turn the bike off when in the paddock - no cool down period required).
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

i think you have summarized the correct thing to do, which is to let the vehicle idle back to normal operating temperature for several minutes before turning it off. There are aftermarket items like turbo timers that can let the car cool down while idling and the shut the car off, so that the owner does not need to wait for the process to occur.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
johnsfb
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 1M

Another tip. Don't leave it with the handbrake on if the brakes are really hot. You get a different cooling temperature where the pads are gripping and this can lead to warping. Either leave it in gear or chock a wheel, even after the engine has cooled down a bit.

Last edited by johnsfb; 05-25-2011 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

If there's no cool down lap, just drive around a bit in or near the paddock.
Airflow is needed for cooling (also for the brakes). Idling while standing still is not your best option.

In my 335i manual, it says I even have to allow for cool down after doing highway trip.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsfb View Post
Another tip. Don't leave it with the handbrake on if the brakes are really hot. You get a different cooling temperature where the pads are gripping and this can lead to warping. Either leave it in gear or chock a wheel, even after the engine has cooled down a bit.
This is a very very good tip!
Appreciate 0