BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Mods that voids warranty?

Since the 1M will be my first new car that i tinker with (that has a factory warranty), just want to know what mods might void the factory warranty.
I know a tune if detected will void it as well as going catless, what about intake, exhaust, suspension, brakes, adding BOV/midpipe?

Thanks
Franklin (reading too much on the 135i mods)
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

OK I'll bite:

http://************/4xfbz9t
      05-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

It also depends on your dealer. I have intake + cat back exhaust, both non BMW, and they even offered to install it for me : ).
      05-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph View Post
Since the 1M will be my first new car that i tinker with (that has a factory warranty), just want to know what mods might void the factory warranty.
I know a tune if detected will void it as well as going catless, what about intake, exhaust, suspension, brakes, adding BOV/midpipe?

Thanks
Franklin (reading too much on the 135i mods)
I heard you can install DINAN performance gear and even have a BMW dealership install it for you, and it will not void warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
I heard you can install DINAN performance gear and even have a BMW dealership install it for you, and it will not void warranty
That is true, I will have my dealer install the DINAN tune for the 1M when it is available.

Spoke to them at Bimmerfest and they will have it in a couple of weeks.

Their tune is not as aggressive as some others and it is expensive but I think it is worth the warranty piece of mind.

My local dealer is a DINAN licensed dealer.

WB
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Wild Bill
Old Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: JCW Clubman, 1M, 2007 Vette

Garage List
2007 Corvette  [0.00]
2011 1M Coupe  [10.00]
2010 MINI JCW Clubman  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
I think you'll find that Dinan actually provides the warranty for their mods, not BMW.
That is true, but that warranty is executed through the DINAN licensed dealer.

They will fix it and process it through DINAN.

Not true if you have it done any other way, then you must deal with DINAN yourself.

WB
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
It's all very simple actually...

"ANY alterations to the vehicle's engineered specifications" is grounds for voiding the specific part of the warranty that it impacts. So if you mod the powertrain "engineered specifications" in any way, BMW can void your powertrain warranty. If you alter the suspension's "engineered specifications" BMW can void your suspension warranty. The same applies to the vehicles, electrics.

To save mis-information and debate - The Magnuso-Moss Act which applies to "OE spec replacement service parts", does NOT apply to "alterations to the vehicle's engineered specifications".

The forum SEARCH feature will turn up numerous threads/debates on the various forums regarding grounds for termination of the new vehicle warranty which is a conditional contract. You should read your new vehicle warranty and maintenance requirements so that you fully understand your rights and obligations.
This is a very true statement, actually presented very well.. Most people quote the Moss act and fail to distinguish the difference from replacment servicve parts and mods to engineering specification.

I also might add that BMW must Prove that the Mod caused the failure, IF you were to take them to court. they would have to show that engineering specification has been exceeded.... its ugly when it get to that point .

example.. ( very simple one to make easy and short)

Catless DP's >>>> o2 sensor failure... What is the design limit temp wise for the 02 sensor, and what temp did the catless DP"s achieve to damage / exceede the design limit of the o2?? .... This is where it gets ugly... did BMW ever test it ????? what numbers did they get..??? BMW cant just "say" well it must of exceeded...there is no cat ...... they need the number is court..

Also the statement that my warranty gets voided only pertains to the item in question...

example as above...... has no impact on your window regulator warranty for the same vehicle..

hope that helps someone else searching in the future
      05-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for the info.
Dinan tune is on the list, a somewhat local dealer sells Dinan goodies.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post

LOL.. my HERO! beat me to it... other good info has been posted as well.

Most important is what Drive hard stated... that modifying a part of your car does not affect the ENTIRE vehicle warranty. Many times dealer service personell DO tell clients that their entire vehicle warranty is void because of X modification, and this is simply not true.

With respect to Dinan.... Dinan's warranty picks up where the manufacturer warranty ends... if there is a failure, and the failure is determined to be due to the Dinan part (and therefore not covered by the manufacturer warranty) then Dinan will warranty the repairs. Any warranty claim with Dinan will likely start with having BMW inspect the vehicle to determine what failed.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 05-23-2011 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #11
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I find this link to be useful to understand the Magnuson-Moss Act:

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...#Magnuson-Moss

It is written to business persons - like a car dealer - but the information on the laws provisions are explained clearly. The prohibition of "tie-in sales" means the manufacturer or dealer cannot tell you you can't put on other parts or have other people do work. That would be illegal unless they can prove that is necessary to maintain proper functioning. For a car, that is not practical. Independant car mechanics can clearly successfully service bimmers. For parts, it depends on the quality of the part. Some might do damage, others clearly would not.

I think it is simpler not to think in terms of "voiding" the warranty. The law basically says that if you modify the car, and that modification is the source of a subsequent problem, then the responsibility is yours and not the manufacturers (or dealers). That makes sense to me. If you have to sue the manufacturer, and dealer, to get them to honor the warranty, and you win, you get your legal costs back too. So it is a powerful protection and worth mentioning if you are sure you are right but the dealer is hessitating.

If you put a tune on the engine, the dealer cannot say that the engine is not warranted any longer. But if you blow the head gasket and it is due to the greater boost pressure of the tune, then the resulting repairs could be your responsibility. But unless the damage can be clearly connected to the modification you did, the engine is still covered under warranty.

It comes down to "what mods will not break my car". Dinan apparently warrants their mods will not break your car. To my knowledge, they are the only one.

Jim