BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-19-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Review - Auto Express UK - 5 stars

Make no mistake the 1 Series M Coupe is worthy of its prestigious badge. It returns BMW’s performance division to its roots by appealing to a more youthful audience while its compact dimensions and immersive driving experience are reminiscent of the original E30 M3. The only real departure is the grunty rather than revvy nature of its engine. But with turbo power being the future for M that’s the way it’s going to be from now on. And based on how the 1 Series M Coupe performs – that’s no bad thing.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...#ixzz1MmdLoTsr

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 05-19-2011 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

5 stars, it's becoming boring
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It's becoming much to tempting for me now having seen the reports.

We went into our local early last month, put a package together, went to sign on the doted line then decided to take the paperwork home and review further and also other finance options, then decided a months drive across the US in Oct would be the go instead and look at a low mileage E92 M3 or even an E46 CSL on our return...............Now I am not so sure we are doing the right thing, dilemma, order now before they are all gone and push for a late Oct delivery (after our US drive) or settle for the M3 and wait out for the first 1M's to hit the used car market! hmmmmmmmmmmm decisions
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 03:49 AM   #4
Rasya
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M; 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2005 BMW e60 M5  [0.00]
I made the consideration with those two as well...
My experience with the E9x M3 was not really what I was hoping it to be. To my likings it was too soft, too much of a GT, especially with the DSG transmission. Then I drove a nice e46 M3 CSL and fell in love. I was just about to buy it when I heard rumours about the 1M. I decided to wait a bit and see what all the fuzz was about.
When I saw the first quotes I saw it was really comparable to the M3 CSL, even pricewise (at least in my country). That's why I chose to go for the new car, the more since you see quite a lot of "M" e46's on the streets here and the 1M is more distinct. The engine is very tunable too I'm guessing

So that was my process of thoughts! Still a month for my big orange to arrive though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
It's becoming much to tempting for me now having seen the reports.

We went into our local early last month, put a package together, went to sign on the doted line then decided to take the paperwork home and review further and also other finance options, then decided a months drive across the US in Oct would be the go instead and look at a low mileage E92 M3 or even an E46 CSL on our return...............Now I am not so sure we are doing the right thing, dilemma, order now before they are all gone and push for a late Oct delivery (after our US drive) or settle for the M3 and wait out for the first 1M's to hit the used car market! hmmmmmmmmmmm decisions
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #5
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasya View Post
I made the consideration with those two as well...
My experience with the E9x M3 was not really what I was hoping it to be. To my likings it was too soft, too much of a GT, especially with the DSG transmission. Then I drove a nice e46 M3 CSL and fell in love. I was just about to buy it when I heard rumours about the 1M. I decided to wait a bit and see what all the fuzz was about.
When I saw the first quotes I saw it was really comparable to the M3 CSL, even pricewise (at least in my country). That's why I chose to go for the new car, the more since you see quite a lot of "M" e46's on the streets here and the 1M is more distinct. The engine is very tunable too I'm guessing

So that was my process of thoughts! Still a month for my big orange to arrive though

Makes sense for you really then seeing as price wise is comparable between purchasing a used CSL and a new 1M, in the UK though you can find a nice spec CSL with some options (xenons, climate etc) running around 30k on the clock for £30 grand making a saving over £12 grand of what we priced up the 1M for with a small number of options, now though, will the 1M hold its value as well as the CSL has and with many believing it will only move up as time goes on..................

As for the E92 M3, I actually didn't mind the big GT feel to it and the last of the big M NA powerplant to cruise around in, I already run a stripped out half caged Astra OPC weighing 1200kg and putting out 300bhp/340lbft on KW clubsports 365mm 6pot Alcons and R888 rubber and its not general road friendly as its been set up as a trackday toy, hard and harsh so something practical and a bit smoother in comparison is really what we are after (which might cross off the CSL on the choices list), but still wanting the fun factory there, saying that the 1M would be more suited to our location as it appears much more nimble than the M3 for city living and getting yourself through traffic congestion situations..........

Decisions decisions decisions

Enjoy your newbie when it arrives shortly
Appreciate 0