BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

04-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

Which one?

So i have been doing some research and it seems that most people believe that the Dinan set-up is not really any better than standard ZCP. I also see that most people are not happy with a just a lowering spring on a ZCP car. So this is my conclusion....Leave ZCP car alone OR go with coilover set-up. Granted this is a street car and will not be tracked. What do you guys prefer. KW V3 or newest Bilstein coilover with 10 way adjusting knob(I believe PSS9 or 10). I see alot of people with KW, I dont think anybody with Bilstein. Granted I will probably use M Schnell EDC Box to keep dash board lights in check. Any thoughts.............
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

I don’t know your experience with suspension setup, but the fact you are considering a coilover suspension on a street car suggests to me it may be limited. Coilover suspensions, especially those with adjustable dampers, and definitely those with double adjustable dampers, are designed primarily for the ability to corner balance the car, and to subsequently adjust for different track conditions and/or spring rates. These are not endeavors that are necessary or even worthwhile on a street car. Plus, unless you have considerable experience, you can easily make yourself nuts tinkering with it, often yielding poor results.

The after-market has created a segment of lesser quality coilover suspensions which could kindly be called mediocre. Although adjustable, the componentry may be of lower quality than the OE equipment. So, I’m not sure of your goal, but I’d leave it alone. In fact, I have done just that. After doing a lot of suspension tinkering on several cars (had TCK c/o on E46 M3), my E92 is totally stock (except ST brakes), and it will so remain. A dedicated track car requires a ton of work, almost none of which is satisfying on a street car. But, a competent street car, such as the M3, is still a lot of fun on track, provided it is driven within its limits, so why mess with it?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, i just like the idea of an aftermarket set-up. I spoke to Dinan and it seems like they might have their own coilover in the works. Who knows maybe that will work the factory EDC for adjustability.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy ny View Post
Well, i just like the idea of an aftermarket set-up. I spoke to Dinan and it seems like they might have their own coilover in the works. Who knows maybe that will work the factory EDC for adjustability.
the stock suspension on the e9x is quite complex, and very few kits can actually improve upon it. BMW really did a fantastic job with it, so I'd say leave it stock if your only reason for changing it is to say you have an aftermarket suspension.

if it's a drop you're after, that's a different story. I have KWV3's, and I can tell you that the upgraded dampening / slightly stiffer spring rates reduces body roll a bit but at the expense of a slightly stiffer ride. that's about it. my car isn't even lowered that much, as the suspension geometry gets increasingly compromised the lower you go (unless you start swapping more and more parts and doing more fabrication to counteract the lowered ride height).

people often confuse body roll with handling, but remember that a car with no suspension (i.e. is perfectly stiff) would not necessarily handle well. a good suspension, like that on the M3, is designed to maximize traction under various conditions, so the amount of toe and camber at each wheel changes as it moves up and down. this is what gives the M3 its impressive cornering abilities. don't mess with it too much unless you really know what you're doing or are prepared to spend big bucks.

Last edited by Brosef; 04-19-2011 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy ny View Post
I heard that Dinan was in the process of producing a coilover set up as well, but this was a while ago.
Maybe they will team up with JRZ again.
      04-19-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Yup since you have ZCP already no need to go Dinan springs. The camber plates and sway bar may still help in terms of managing tire wear and body roll. But don't expect drastic difference.

If you are going for coil over, my personal opinion is to not bother with the single adjustable systems. Reason: if you are already spending a few thousand dollars, might as well get the whole package that is dual adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #7
jimmy ny
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm on the fence. Kw3 or wait for newer Dinan set up. They told me their stage 1or2 setup would make the car handle a little better, but, it will also ride slot better than stock. Attributed to the increased suspension travel for the new rear shock mounts and front bump stops. Their site also states 8 hours labor for install. That sounds kinda high unless it includes alignment.
Appreciate 0