BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Spring install delete

Can the 1,200 spring install please be deleted. I was at the shop today and the thread was brought up and he spent a good hour talking to me the about estimate and he was never trying to over charge me just simply do the job right.
He took time out of his day to just talk cars and show me the lambos in the shop. (very nice guy and really knows high performance cars)
I never intended to bash the shop. I will be going there to continue work on both M cars.
It's an immaculate garage and def has my business again!
So can the thread be deleted as soon as possible. Thanks guys
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
$1200 is still robbery. Sounds like hes a good salesman.
      04-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRY...M3 View Post
Can the 1,200 spring install please be deleted. I was at the shop today and the thread was brought up and he spent a good hour talking to me the about estimate and he was never trying to over charge me just simply do the job right.
He took time out of his day to just talk cars and show me the lambos in the shop. (very nice guy and really knows high performance cars)
I never intended to bash the shop. I will be going there to continue work on both M cars.
It's an immaculate garage and def has my business again!
So can the thread be deleted as soon as possible. Thanks guys
I'm an amateur DIY kinda guy and I can do it in four hours (I've actually done it). Add an hour for an alignment, charge $2 a minute and you're at $600.

There is no version of "done right" that costs $1,200.

There might be "we're used to customers that don't mind us taking the whole shebang apart and putting it together again" that would balloon the bill that much.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

In my area, I know of a certified BMW technician with years of experience, and he charges no more than 600 for install + alignment. $1,200 is just not right at all. Try...finding a better shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
andrew270681
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I agree with you guys, but he is happy paying that much so be it.
I was getting similar price quotes to him here in Australia and i thought that it was rediculous so i did the install myself. Its a pretty basic spring change
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Don't be so sympathetic even if he does so much to assure you he's not ripping you off. He is ripping you off and thats the plain truth. I've seen this install done a few times and those installs never went over 2 hours.

The rears are easier part of the process and I've seen it done in 30 minutes over and over again. The front needs to be unbolted and partially disassembled which can take up to 1 hour. After everything is back together and after a quick test drive it should be a cool 2 hours.
      04-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Sounds like a high end shop that probably caters to very expensive cars. I’ve had some experience with such shops. In most cases, they charge as much as the market will bear. Given reasonable competence and the gift of gab, than amount is often very high. Obviously, the target customer is both affluent, and of only modest mechanical knowledge. Usually, these shop owners are experienced and competent, but they create value through questionably ethical salesmanship. Let the buyer beware.
Appreciate 0