BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

ZCP vs. Dinan Stage 1... need some info

About to place an order for a new car this week and trying to decide if ZCP is really worth it. Has anybody had experience with both ZCP and Dinan Stage 1? It's going to be one of the two choices. I don't have any experience with either, just what I read on the forum. I know Dinan is about $1,100 and I think you need a dealer to install it if you want the Dinan warranty? So I guess all said and done after an alignment the two are close to the same price? How does looks and handling compare between the two? Thanks
      03-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

I don't know about the handling differences between ZCP and Dinan but...
Lowering heights are very similar. And you don't have to install Dinan springs from the dealer.
I installed from local reputable shop and dealer is fine with it. As long as it is installed properly, it's fine.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
I installed from local reputable shop and dealer is fine with it. As long as it is installed properly, it's fine.
Ditto. I have not had a chance to try my setup out at autocross or track yet, but the difference on the street is substantial.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

here are some pics of the look
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462561
i felt the dinan was a better track setup as i drove the zcp at my home track less than a week after having a lapping weekend there and also from hopping from one to the other liked the dinan better... good luck, either way you'll be smilin the hole time
      03-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

What about Dinan Stage 1 combined with ZCP? Anyone tried that? Would it be lower and handle good?
      03-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Personally if I was going to order a car right now, I would just order it as ZCP, but not because of the suspension. I would consider the Dinan set up (especially since Dinan mirrors the OEM warranty), but I would lean toward the Ground Control set up as it gives you the ability to adjust the height and also allow you to corner balance the car. There has been some good feedback on that kit, on and off the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Personally if I was going to order a car right now, I would just order it as ZCP, but not because of the suspension. I would consider the Dinan set up (especially since Dinan mirrors the OEM warranty), but I would lean toward the Ground Control set up as it gives you the ability to adjust the height and also allow you to corner balance the car. There has been some good feedback on that kit, on and off the track.
That's my thoughts right now as well. Plus I get the nice wheels so the price is pretty hard to beat. If I didn't order it I'd be buying the 19s anyway, and this is 100% OEM which is always nice
      03-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
That's my thoughts right now as well. Plus I get the nice wheels so the price is pretty hard to beat. If I didn't order it I'd be buying the 19s anyway, and this is 100% OEM which is always nice
Just order it! You wont be disappointed. I am not sure how the pricing works in the US, but when you order the ZCP Package here it is pretty good value, when you consider the cost of the EDC and 19" wheel package. Not too much more of a premium.

Good luck with the order!

Edit: Oh, and keeping it OEM is a nice touch. (even thought I have way too many mods on my car with more to come...its a disease )
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

If you know for sure that you will put an aftermarket suspension in it, Dinan or coil over, don't bother with ZCP.

You do NOT need dealer installation to get the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
If you know for sure that you will put an aftermarket suspension in it, Dinan or coil over, don't bother with ZCP.
Well went ahead and ordered ZCP.... I already own a set of Eibach springs from my current car. I may just hold on to those and if ZCP really needs to be slightly lower I guess I can install them.

Someone else posted a thread that said if you put Eibach on ZCP it would sit slightly lower than Eibach on non-zcp? If that's true, it's got me wondering if Dinan on ZCP would sit slightly lower than either Dinan or ZCP alone?? Could be a nice mix if drives really nicely and sits just a touch lower. I really like the slightly lowered look, but hate the slammed look.
      03-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Congrats on the new ///M3, what the ETA? What colour combo did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on the new ///M3, what the ETA? What colour combo did you go with?
Hey thanks.... I switched it up this time. I went for Jet Black, black interior, aluminum trim and a moonroof, zcp, heated seats, and bluetooth. That's it for options going to take my Akra slip-on off my current car and put that on and that's it. This car is staying almost 100% stock. Considering changing the Akra for a slip-on that has just a touch more sound, but not much. I'll swap my AiB angel eyes over.

Only decision I have to make is if I try to lower it just a touch more with Dinan, if it's possible. Car is due to me end of april.
      03-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Hey thanks.... I switched it up this time. I went for Jet Black, black interior, aluminum trim and a moonroof, zcp, heated seats, and bluetooth. That's it for options going to take my Akra slip-on off my current car and put that on and that's it. This car is staying almost 100% stock. Considering changing the Akra for a slip-on that has just a touch more sound, but not much. I'll swap my AiB angel eyes over.

Only decision I have to make is if I try to lower it just a touch more with Dinan, if it's possible. Car is due to me end of april.
Sounds good! You are going to need a new avatar!

Post up some pics when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good! You are going to need a new avatar!

Post up some pics when you get it.
haha... I guess I will need a new one. I'll def post some pics.
      03-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Having owned a zcp car - I'll give my $0.02... I did not like the eibach pro-kit springs on my car - didn't like the ride height differences between front and rear and handling wasn't as good. I really felt it was a step back from the zcp setup.

So I switched to the GC conversion kit. On the street it is more firm than the stock setup and on the comfort setting body motion was not as controlled as stock. On track, normal setting still allowed for too much motion imo and sport setting was just right. Car was well planted and motion control was much better. I was not running r-compounds so that could affect your opinion of this combo as I'm don't know how the suspension would handle the higher grip/cornering speeds. But I did like this setup alot on track.

In summary, the stock zcp is actually very good in terms of handling and ride quality trade-off on the street. GC conversion is definitely firmer but not harsh. I did not track the zcp suspension so I can't comment on it's performance on track. I can say for sure that the GC conversion and firm setting is very nice on track and I assume it's due to the revised programming of the zcp EDC.

Good luck with the new car - you will like it for sure!

BC