BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #1
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

AP BBK issue and questions

I just got my car back with AP BBK installed. It's my first time to use AP BBK, not sure if the BBK performs the way it is. Now I'm running AP BBK with F3R pads on front's and Xtreme pads on rear's, tires are Hankook R-S3, suspension is KW V3.

1 Lack of response, braking comes late.
The first 70% of braking is lack of response for some reason. No matter what speed I'm in when I'm stepping on the brakes, there's no much response, unless I keep pushing all the way down.

2 Braking power.
For example, I have Brembo BBK with Endless ME20 pads, Moton and R888 combo on my Pcars. it's kind of braking that how much I apply, how much I get. If I slam on it, my lung would stick to my belly. But the braking power on AP doesn't even come close to that. I know that tires and suspension have some difference, but aren't AP BBK suppose to have better braking that Brembo?

I'm not sure if the F3R pads require pre-heat or what. I'm going to the track this weekend, but kind of scary about the braking power I have right now. It's no better or worse than stock set up.
Is there any chance the shop didn't bed in properly? However, they installed some other BBK on my other cars before, no issue.
Any input would be appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

1. Make sure your fluid is bled correctly.
2. Make sure there is nothing leaking. (check brake fluid reservoir and caliper bleed screws/hoses)
3. Make sure you properly bed-in your pads. (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396763)

I know a few people on the board who has the AP kit, and none I know had 'brake power' issues you described.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
1. Make sure your fluid is bled correctly.
2. Make sure there is nothing leaking. (check brake fluid reservoir and caliper bleed screws/hoses)
3. Make sure you properly bed-in your pads. (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396763)

I know a few people on the board who has the AP kit, and none I know had 'brake power' issues you described.
Thank you. My original thought was it might be the brake pads, I thought they might need to be at certain temperature in order to work properly.
hmmm, I need to check it out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
rzm3
Rep

Actually, some new info I found... Easiest way to verify is to put in Xtreme front pads if you have them... Or just get your brakes hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
Even track pads can be gone through in one day. Well, in professional racing anyway. NASCAR teams usually go almost completely through pads that are 1-1/4" thick in one 500 lap race at Martinsville. And that's with massive cooling ducts, carbon rotor gloves and cross-drilled titanium pistons! It's all about rotor temps and energy dissipation.

That said, different pads should be used in the OP's application -- which work for him, in that car, at that track, at his current skill level and preferred style of braking. Another driver might need a different selection.

These kits are shipped with a fairly high temp pad -- for street and sporting use. They cannot be supplied with full track pads as standard unless specified that way by the customer. Most track pads have very low cold friction, so coming up to the first stop sign in the morning becomes a very exciting, perhaps life-changing, experience.

HP Man: Since you seem to have liked the feel and linearity of the Mintex Xtreme Motorsport compound (as do I!), I would suggest trying Mintex F3R race compound on the front next time out. This is a very linear, high-temp (up to 2100°F) full race pad that many professional drivers swear by. It also has outstanding release characteristics, which help it stand out among some others in that category.

That compound works very well in conjunction with Xtreme Motorsport on the rear as long as the rear rotors aren't getting above 1300°F, which is not likely. You can get F3R from whoever supplied your brake system. NOTE: These are not for street use!

Chris
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #5
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, some new info I found...
I saw that too. But couldn't find why?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

I'm with rldzhao - you've got air in the brake lines. The AP pedal is firm and right up there - you shouldn't be able to push it very far before it gets too firm to push any further. Once you get that fixed, you'll have lots of stopping power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
I just got my car back with AP BBK installed. It's my first time to use AP BBK, not sure if the BBK performs the way it is. Now I'm running AP BBK with F3R pads on front's and Xtreme pads on rear's, tires are Hankook R-S3, suspension is KW V3.

1 Lack of response, braking comes late.
The first 70% of braking is lack of response for some reason. No matter what speed I'm in when I'm stepping on the brakes, there's no much response, unless I keep pushing all the way down.

2 Braking power.
For example, I have Brembo BBK with Endless ME20 pads, Moton and R888 combo on my Pcars. it's kind of braking that how much I apply, how much I get. If I slam on it, my lung would stick to my belly. But the braking power on AP doesn't even come close to that. I know that tires and suspension have some difference, but aren't AP BBK suppose to have better braking that Brembo?

I'm not sure if the F3R pads require pre-heat or what. I'm going to the track this weekend, but kind of scary about the braking power I have right now. It's no better or worse than stock set up.
Is there any chance the shop didn't bed in properly? However, they installed some other BBK on my other cars before, no issue.
Any input would be appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

+1 on proper bleeding
Youd be surprised how easy it is to fck up a bleeding procedure
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thank you guys! After a proper bleeding, problem solved!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
rzm3
Rep

Good to hear. After a brake job like this, one would expect the shop to test drive the car... Glad everything worked out.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear. After a brake job like this, one would expect the shop to test drive the car... Glad everything worked out.
They did and they thought that's the way it performed.
I guess I'm in bad luck lately, from coilovers install to brake, none of them was one time deal. damn
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
I'm thinking you are just experiencing cold race pads on the street. Also, they may not be completely bedded, yet. Go bed them in per this recommendation:

Zeckhausen Bedding Instructions

Have fun.

Doh! Never mind. Just read the rest of the thread.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd15 View Post
They did and they thought that's the way it performed.
I guess I'm in bad luck lately, from coilovers install to brake, none of them was one time deal. damn
Dude, it's pretty common. I almost expect to have to go back after an install.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Dude, it's pretty common. I almost expect to have to go back after an install.
Hah! I do my own work and I often complain to myself that the first bleed wasn't good enough and I demand that I do it again!

My experience with replacing calipers and lines is that they usually need a second bleed after a day or two of use to really get them solid.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thank you guys for the help. The brakes performed well on track. It responded better under hard braking than my Brembo GT's. But those pads squeal at any temp and speed, damn.
Anyways, I'm happy with the outcome at the moment.
Appreciate 0