BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

OT: X5M review

Well, I will edit the post a bit later tonight, but I had an opportunity to test drive the X5M yesterday.

Despite the fact that I have been quoted saying the X5M doesn't make sense when Way bought his - I have to say I have to take back my words. The experience was phenomenol. This car is a proof that ///M is much more than marketing.

In short, not only the Turbo V8 is a blast, but it is the chasis composure that sets it apart from the non-Ms. The car is faster, and more composed around bend than the 135i. Did I mention the engine?

I think I am sold - but will write more soon!

edit: I have given up tonight - just written the whole damn thing I than clicked back as if it was an undo button. Well, undo it did, just that it has undo the whole damn thing. Will try again tomorrow - time for bed.....

Last edited by sparoz; 11-02-2010 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Sold on the 1M or the X5M ?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

X5M, lol - but that would be the family "truck" (sometime next year hopefully ). I was sold on the 1M ages ago. If we haven't delayed the baby plans for another 12 months, I would have replaced the 135i with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
The dealer loaned me one overnight and just told me to have fun! I absolutely loved it. But I did have 2 gripes though, engine sounded like a turbo 4 turned up to 11 and the sports seats are just standard fare x5 sports seats and not like the ones in the m3 or m5 - it was also really uncomfortable. I would definately get the comfort seats over th sports seats which are a NCO. The comfort seats also come with perforated leather for the ventilated seats option.

All in, an astounding car. My warranty on the x5 runs out in may so it's very tempting to get into an x5m then. For the non believers, take it out for a test drive. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

What sort of money are we talking?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Too much!

I'd probably prefer an M5 over an X5M...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
The dealer loaned me one overnight and just told me to have fun! I absolutely loved it. But I did have 2 gripes though, engine sounded like a turbo 4 turned up to 11 and the sports seats are just standard fare x5 sports seats and not like the ones in the m3 or m5 - it was also really uncomfortable. I would definately get the comfort seats over th sports seats which are a NCO. The comfort seats also come with perforated leather for the ventilated seats option.

All in, an astounding car. My warranty on the x5 runs out in may so it's very tempting to get into an x5m then. For the non believers, take it out for a test drive. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
+1, but a turbo 4 turned up to 11 was a blast though! The car I tested have the comfort seat option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOSQ View Post
What sort of money are we talking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Too much!

I'd probably prefer an M5 over an X5M...
190k onraod list - but you get pretty much everything standard. For comparison, a spec up 4.0d is around 150k list onroad.

M5 would definitely be nicer, but remember it would be north of 200k. It is not a M5, but if you need a truck, it is a very fast and fun truck to have.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
mra
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Despite the fact that I have been quoted saying the X5M doesn't make sense when Way bought his - I have to say I have to take back my words.
Well maybe you don't have to take back your words - Wayne sold his X5M after 2 or 3 months. Maybe chat to him before you buy?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:

190k onraod list - but you get pretty much everything standard. For comparison, a spec up 4.0d is around 150k list onroad.

M5 would definitely be nicer, but remember it would be north of 200k. It is not a M5, but if you need a truck, it is a very fast and fun truck to have.
The X5/X6M are an absolute bargain for what you get. An M5 would be well north of its $230k RRP.

If it was my choice, I would go the whole hog and go with the X6M, since they are identically priced. The X6 normally costs more than the comparable X5 model, so if I'm gonna go for a super SUV, then I might as well take the crazy looking one Practicality be damned.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mra View Post
Well maybe you don't have to take back your words - Wayne sold his X5M after 2 or 3 months. Maybe chat to him before you buy?
Yeah but he changes cars more than I change clothes
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
didn't know that - hope he comments
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Yeah but he changes cars more than I change clothes
LOL!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 01:19 AM   #13
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Drove one of my client's X6-M and that thing was outrageous fun. Cornered so brilliantly. Got to agree with you Sparoz, M is definitely not just marketing.

I was also told that BMW have 100s of X6-Ms in Bond Stock (BMW Australia stock) so plenty of bargains to be had if you were in the market for one. I suspect it might be the same story for the X5-M.
      11-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #14
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
I was also told that BMW have 100s of X6-Ms in Bond Stock (BMW Australia stock) so plenty of bargains to be had if you were in the market for one. I suspect it might be the same story for the X5-M.
If true I think it speaks a lot for the popularity (not) of the X6M and X5M. When I drove the X5M I was less than overwhelmed. Perhaps my expectations were greater coming from an M3 but I felt it was trying to be something that it was not - a racebred, heart thumping sports car. If I wanted a perky truck for the missus I'd get the 40d, which I did. At least the 40d doesn't pretend to be something it's not. Sorry guys...just my 2c.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #15
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Amk, not sure how accurate they were. But my client got a pretty hefty discount on his X6-M and had his choice of colour and pretty much most specs up for immediate delivery - plus the crazy time to get it up to Darwin of course!

I think it speaks more to BMW Australia getting over-zealous and assuming these things will be as successful in Australia as they everywhere else. I have the good fortune of driving Porsches on most days and I still reckon that truck handled itself pretty damn well! Might be the difference between the X5
      11-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #16
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
If true I think it speaks a lot for the popularity (not) of the X6M and X5M. When I drove the X5M I was less than overwhelmed. Perhaps my expectations were greater coming from an M3 but I felt it was trying to be something that it was not - a racebred, heart thumping sports car. If I wanted a perky truck for the missus I'd get the 40d, which I did. At least the 40d doesn't pretend to be something it's not. Sorry guys...just my 2c.
I think coming from a "proper" M car would be quite different. It will never be as good as the other Ms. However, I was surprised that it is better than the non-M coupes/sedan. It was too long ago since I have driven the M3 to compare the two.

The main reason I was looking at the M was just because of its spec . It has everything on the car, while a moderately spec 4.0d is already in the 130 list. I did a bit of "calculations" on the depreciation of the two cars, assuming you don't get anything for the options you put in the cars and 40% residue after 5 years. The 4.0d works out to be just over 80k, and the M is just over 100k. 20k difference over 5 years - approx $100/week including the interest component.

1 coke save $2.00; 1 x coffee save $4.00, bring your own lunch save $14 - over the workweek = $20 .

It's like the performance was just a bonus!

Last edited by sparoz; 11-02-2010 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Love your math Sparoz!
      11-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #18
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
I think coming from a "proper" M car would be quite different. It will never be as good as the other Ms. However, I was surprised that it is better than the non-M coupes/sedan. It was too long ago since I have driven the M3 to compare the two.
Has it been that long since you took my car for a drive before I took delivery?
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #19
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Drove one of my client's X6-M and that thing was outrageous fun. Cornered so brilliantly. Got to agree with you Sparoz, M is definitely not just marketing.

thats great to hear, like ed hardy going broke in australia, means we do have some taste
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Hah! That is just me. I got rid of the Boxster Spyder in 2 months and the first GT3 in 28 days (ok it was replaced with another GT3 but I still got rid of it) so I wouldn't read too much into it. It's a fantastic car, I loved it. For those who say it's not a proper M car, I totally disagree. It will run rings around most sports cars, let alone SUVs. I could lap Philip Island in similar times to a competent driver in a E92 M3 so that says plenty. So why did I get rid of it? Well you know, there are lots of nice cars out there to try! Now who wants to buy a 2 month old M3?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #21
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:

Haha don't believe everything you hear. You will get big discounts on X5M/X6M, or any other M cars really if you know the right people. The last time I checked, there were heaps more M3s than there are X5/6Ms.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #22
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Hah! That is just me. I got rid of the Boxster Spyder in 2 months and the first GT3 in 28 days (ok it was replaced with another GT3 but I still got rid of it) so I wouldn't read too much into it. It's a fantastic car, I loved it. For those who say it's not a proper M car, I totally disagree. It will run rings around most sports cars, let alone SUVs. I could lap Philip Island in similar times to a competent driver in a E92 M3 so that says plenty. So why did I get rid of it? Well you know, there are lots of nice cars out there to try! Now who wants to buy a 2 month old M3?
I'm quite certain you change cars more often than I change bedsheets.

Sounds like you are living quite the motoring dream! I know my mum's looking to swap out the X3 soon so maybe one X5M is on the cards...

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0