BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

CGU vs Allianz?

Anyone have any experience of either these two insurance companies? They are offering me a much cheaper rate than AAMI for my Z4 that I am expecting soon.

I know Allianz underwrite BMW insurance.

I prefer CGU's windscreen insurance since with Allianz they will only do a no excess replacement if you have had the entire thickness of the glass or every layer of laminate cracked.

Last edited by Alext; 10-05-2010 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #2
AussieAlf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LMB 123d MT Vert

Wow! Cheaper than AAMI. I went with CGU, but it was significantly more than AAMI, but way cheaper.

I have had some experience with CGU, but only with being the at the receiving end of someone else's insurance claim after they ran into the back of my MX-5. No problems from that side, they quickly settled with my choice of repairer (MX-5 factory).

I hear Allianz is pretty good, too.

Shannons wouldn't insure the 123d Vert at a reasonable price, only gave me a price at all since I'd been with them for 10 years and 2 MX-5's.

Cheers,
Alf
      10-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Checked out these two yesterday. My insurance is due on the 24th.
- Allianz said they won't insure it unless I have a tracking device fitted! WTF?
- CGU will, due to my low kms, insure for $980 with the promise of replacing my over two year old car if it's written off.
- AAMI will insure for max of $59K for $503
I'm thinking it may be worth going with CGU here, due to the replace with new thing...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
dh58
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

I recently did quotes and aami was cheapest by about 500$ for me.. I didn't check CGU and Allianz though.. I don't know if this helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Both are reputable companies. Personally if they had the same price, AV/MV and excess then i'd go with Allianz just because I know how quick their claims turn around time is and their claims paid ratio is quite high. Having said that, i've never dealt with CGU and working in insurance i haven't heard too many horror stories about them which is always a good sign .

Also from my experience Allianz can be quite rude and make it quite difficult to get your car fixed when one of their clients has run into you. My father was insured with them when he ran into my parked car . They took their sweet time with my car but fixed his really quickly. Although i imagine this is always the case when your claiming through a third party's insurance and wouldn't deter me from insuring with them.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

thanks for the replies. Yes, I was suprised too AAMI is always the cheapest for me. I wasn't too happy with their list of options. You would have to call them specifically to specify what rims etc you have exactly. I will be doing this with CGU if I go with them just for the rims and Ventureshield as all they have is '19 inch rims' and 'paint protection'. You never know they may give you something else if you dont specify.

I am waiting for BMW insurance to give me a quote today.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
I've been with both.

CGU are excellent, however their choice of repairers can be very, very slow. Most recently the repairer chosen to do my cross member, undertray, tranny and tranny sump ordered:
1. The wrong cross-member
2. Didn't even check the tranny after I asked them to
3. Put paint scratches on the boot lid and bonnet.

I then rang CGU and told them my car was being taken to Trivett BMW to complete repairs because of how long their guys were taking, and they would not extend any excess or payments. They agreed and Trivett did a fantastic completion job on Christine.
Appreciate 0