BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Third brake light temp fix?

So my third brake light decided to pop out in the middle of the night last night. I was like, WTF. Just now I ran a search and it looks as if that part has cracking issues.

Anyway, I'm about to take a long road trip and can't fix it until a service appointment in L.A. in mid-June.

I don't think I can get a ticket for the white glare that now shines back there, but it's ghetto looking.

Painters tape cut to proper specs? Electrical tape maybe?

Or just say screw it and go with a hole in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I'd cover it with something for sure. I don't think a cop would ticket you over it, but it certainly gives them a good enough reason to pull you over and check you out.

Auto parts stores carry tailight repair kits that have some clear red plastic in them, and red tape. If you took your time, you could probably use that and most people would never notice it was missing.

Do you still have the original lens?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Uptown Bully
I hate coleslaw!
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I'd cover it with something for sure. I don't think a cop would ticket you over it, but it certainly gives them a good enough reason to pull you over and check you out.

Auto parts stores carry tailight repair kits that have some clear red plastic in them, and red tape. If you took your time, you could probably use that and most people would never notice it was missing.

Do you still have the original lens?
Original broke...when I drove over it. Haha. That's how I found out it had popped out. Or, cracked out. I do have red electrical tape. Black may look best though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver

When my lens finally fell out of the trunk, I thought the light would be white too. It wasn't; it was red. However, I didn't want any water getting inside the trunk lid, so I did what any ghetto mechanic would do: I superglued the lens right onto the trunk lid.

Right before I drove to my service appointment for replacement, I removed the lens completely so the techs wouldn't have to clean up the superglue. It took me about 20 minutes of scraping with a plastic scraper to get it all off...
      05-23-2010, 02:28 AM   #5
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Mine fell out and hung by a thread in two pieces. It was embarassingly pointed out to me by a passerby. As was said above, when it lights up, it's still red with or without the lens.

I've noticed that my replacement lens now has some slight cracks in it, so I'm hoping it won't fall out again. Soo stupid that something like this happens on any modern car these days, especially a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Quik135
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Space Gray Metallic 135i

Remove the old lens completely and put a piece of clear packing tape over the hole to keep the water out. As pointed out above, the LEDs are red.

I'm currently on my third lens. Supposedly there is a service bulletin covering a change in the way the assembly is mounted from the factory to prevent it from cracking. Obviously the fix doesn't work either!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
NL-J
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik135 View Post
Remove the old lens completely and put a piece of clear packing tape over the hole to keep the water out. As pointed out above, the LEDs are red.

I'm currently on my third lens. Supposedly there is a service bulletin covering a change in the way the assembly is mounted from the factory to prevent it from cracking. Obviously the fix doesn't work either!
I wonder if the dealers do follow the SIB and not just replace the light and perhaps overtighten it? Or the lights are just crap, then I hope they'll improve them soon. Or they have to stock up on 3rd brake lights for many years to come lol. Pretty annoying issue this is.
Appreciate 0