BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
hockeymutt
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i silver,prem/sport package

pretty sure i was robbed

So let me start off by saying I had a crack in my windshield this morning and called this place to get it fixed, dropped my car off at 3 walked around town and an hour later I picked up my car and headed to the gym. When I got to the gym I went to put my sunglasses in the armrest and this is where I realized some stuff was missing! I had an ipod(extra) and about 6 dollars in there and both were missing.... I know the ipod was in there cause I put it in there last night before going out on a date and know they were both in there before I dropped off the car cause I put my sunglasses on before heading to the auto glass place.... I've searched both apartment and car many times no luck.... they didn't take my garmin(in the glovebox) and my ipod touch hooked up to the usb....

So know how do I approach this to them the company, its a family run company with very good reviews.... I realized it after they closed and I m a lil afraid cause I have the only 135 in my little town of 15000 people and I'm afraid if some gets fired there gonna see my car parked and mess with it.......

Any advice will be very helpful
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Just playing devil's advocate... do you really think that if they did take your stuff (which I'm sure they did) they would admit it and say "oops, you caught us... ok here's the stuff we stole?" Dude, you have to empty out your car before you let ANYONE do work on it, dealer included. It's just common sense. I would chalk this up as a tough lesson learned.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
hockeymutt
Private
Rep

Yea I know i .... I guess I asummed to much and figured there nice people nothing will go missing
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I would post a shitty review and explain what happened. Their reputation is much more valuable than your ipod so I would post a warning wherever possible. Don't be surprised if they call you and try to fix it. I have done this a few times and it worked pretty well.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
hockeymutt
Private
Rep

Yea I'm gonna call tommorow get a police report and let bmw know cause they referred me to them.... also they are a bbb company with an a+ rating so ill file a complaint with them as well
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Yep, all money, wallet, anything of real noticeable value either goes on my person or locked in the glovebox. Our cars have the extra key that allows someone to open the drivers door and start the car but not unlock the glovebox right? Is that the lil key that pops out of the keyfob? I forget if I got another actual key, cuz I know with my Mk5 gti for instance I had 2 keyfobs there that as well as an actual KEY and that key was for you to give to a shop, etc. it would allow them to open the door and start the car, but they wouldnt be able to unlock the glovebox or go above a certain rpm/speed. Pretty sweet tbh.

P.S. I just thought, isnt the idea with our cars, is the lil key from the keyfog can unlock and lock the glovebox, so if youre at a shop with stuff in there, u just lock it, n take the lil key outta the keyfob?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
hockeymutt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Yep, all money, wallet, anything of real noticeable value either goes on my person or locked in the glovebox. Our cars have the extra key that allows someone to open the drivers door and start the car but not unlock the glovebox right? Is that the lil key that pops out of the keyfob? I forget if I got another actual key, cuz I know with my Mk5 gti for instance I had 2 keyfobs there that as well as an actual KEY and that key was for you to give to a shop, etc. it would allow them to open the door and start the car, but they wouldnt be able to unlock the glovebox or go above a certain rpm/speed. Pretty sweet tbh.

P.S. I just thought, isnt the idea with our cars, is the lil key from the keyfog can unlock and lock the glovebox, so if youre at a shop with stuff in there, u just lock it, n take the lil key outta the keyfob?
I wish I would have realized that.... will def do it next time, didn't realize that lil key locked the glove box....I never let the dealer show me anything or set anything up when I bought the car was to anxious to drive the piss out of it
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymutt View Post
I wish I would have realized that.... will def do it next time, didn't realize that lil key locked the glove box....I never let the dealer show me anything or set anything up when I bought the car was to anxious to drive the piss out of it
Dont quote me completely on that but Im fairly sure thats the way it is with this model, I know the lil key unlocks the front door, it must be useable to lock the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

In my humble opinion I think you should just learn a lesson and walk away from this.

First, a police report will just net out as a 'he said this, they said that' situation going nowhere. They really won't deploy a CSI team for your i-pod.

Second, who leaves anything of value in a car and turns it over to any 3rd party. That’s the lesson learned.

Third, the only reasonable thing to do is mention it to the owner, see if they intuitively value you and their reputation (whether or not they are at fault) enough to replace your loss. If not, factor that in to your decision on who to go to for same services next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymutt View Post
Yea I'm gonna call tommorow get a police report and let bmw know cause they referred me to them.... also they are a bbb company with an a+ rating so ill file a complaint with them as well

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
In my humble opinion I think you should just learn a lesson and walk away from this.

First, a police report will just net out as a 'he said this, they said that' situation going nowhere. They really won't deploy a CSI team for your i-pod.

Second, who leaves anything of value in a car and turns it over to any 3rd party. That’s the lesson learned.

Third, the only reasonable thing to do is mention it to the owner, see if they intuitively value you and their reputation (whether or not they are at fault) enough to replace your loss. If not, factor that in to your decision on who to go to for same services next time.
That makes a great deal of sense.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
That makes a great deal of sense.

Tom
I was speaking from an experience I had many years ago that makes me a real certified idiot, and an 'expert' in the situation.

I had just bought a Rolex GMT Master on a great deal from an authorized dealer while on a trip to Hong Kong. The bracelet/band was way too big and I had not had it adjusted yet. Watch face would always slide around and face the ground. It was bothering me while driving so I took it off and placed it into the center console tray. Forgetting I had done that I took my car to a car wash. Waited for the car to be washed and dried. Paid, got in, and drove off. About half an hour later I remembered the watch. Went for the console tray. No watch. Duh.

Drove back to the car wash and stupidly asked the management "anyone turn in a Rolex watch?" Guess the answer.

Could only lick my wounds and leave with a lesson learned. Since then I only by Bulova since I'm obviously not responsible enough to own a real Rolex.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
I was speaking from an experience I had many years ago that makes me a real certified idiot, and an 'expert' in the situation.

I had just bought a Rolex GMT Master on a great deal from an authorized dealer while on a trip to Hong Kong. The bracelet/band was way too big and I had not had it adjusted yet. Watch face would always slide around and face the ground. It was bothering me while driving so I took it off and placed it into the center console tray. Forgetting I had done that I took my car to a car wash. Waited for the car to be washed and dried. Paid, got in, and drove off. About half an hour later I remembered the watch. Went for the console tray. No watch. Duh.

Drove back to the car wash and stupidly asked the management "anyone turn in a Rolex watch?" Guess the answer.

Could only lick my wounds and leave with a lesson learned. Since then I only by Bulova since I'm obviously not responsible enough to own a real Rolex.
Wow.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I would call the police to investigate if you are talking about an expensive item like this. No ways I left my Rolex watch or any valuable items in the car.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

If you call the police, don't use the word "robbery". In your case, it's larceny/theft. Robbery is with force while larceny is something a sneaky b!*#&*$ does.
      05-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I certainly would not walk away, saying 'oh well, lesson learned'

Speak to the owner and tell him he has a chance to make things right before you call the police. Call his bluff tell him you have video. The owner should know he has a thief working for him.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #16
Partsdood
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 10 128, 05 FFR Cobra

Before you do anything, call the glass company and talk to the owner. Tell him you can't find your iPod and ask if maybe they had removed it from the car while working on it, and forgot to put it back. Be cool, and leave his guys a way out without calling them thieves.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post

Speak to the owner and tell him he has a chance to make things right before you call the police. Call his bluff tell him you have video. The owner should know he has a thief working for him.
Try to lie to him by telling him you have a video, when you don't? That makes no sense. Might as tell him you are head of the CIA.

The owner of the business needs to know he has employees that are thiefs. Since you cannot prove exactly who/where/when thats about as far as you can take it.
      05-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #18
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:

At some point you will have to walk away with a lesson learned - a good one, or a bad one. No one is advocating not giving it a shot and bring it up to the owner/manager. But once the VERY likely 'sorry, no one has seen anything or knows anything' comes back, you either accept it or not. Better to learn from it than deny you had a hand in it through negligence. And to me, leaving valuables out of your control is negligence. Sorry, we don't live in Disney World.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #19
Battleship Potemkin
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1995 318ti & 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
1995 318ti  [0.00]
2005 325i  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree that the OP shouldn't just 'walk away', but I don't recommend lying to anyone for any reason. After all, if you're going to lie about having a video, who's to say you're not also lying about having your iPod stolen?

Contact the police and tell them the situation. They'll have you fill out a report; they'll file it away in a cabinet; case closed; get on with your life.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #20
Battleship Potemkin
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
1995 318ti  [0.00]
2005 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
At some point you will have to walk away with a lesson learned - a good one, or a bad one. No one is advocating not giving it a shot and bring it up to the owner/manager. But once the VERY likely 'sorry, no one has seen anything or knows anything' comes back, you either accept it or not. Better to learn from it than deny you had a hand in it through negligence. And to me, leaving valuables out of your control is negligence. Sorry, we don't live in Disney World.
Disney World is where my car got broken in to.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #21
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleship Potemkin View Post
Disney World is where my car got broken in to.
And when you confronted him, did Mickey deny it?

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #22
Battleship Potemkin
Private
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
1995 318ti  [0.00]
2005 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
And when you confronted him, did Mickey deny it?
Yep, not surprisingly, and Goofy was nowhere to be found.
Appreciate 0