BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Before I order a 125i on Sunday... edit: ETA 3/10!

edit: ordered! picking up saturday morning

so I test-drove the 125i coupe this week and i absolutely love it. it is so comfortable and refined yet can be so much fun when you press on just a little bit harder than you should

I have 2 questions though for the fellow aussies here:

1) the model I test-drove had the M sports pack. the ride was a bit choppy but I thought it was ok. has anyone gotten the M pack and regretted it?

2) what other cars should I test-drive that offer similar... grins? only conditions are it must be auto (for the fiance) and under 80k onroad. I'm thinking Audi S3?

Last edited by chylld; 09-28-2009 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
spdrcr
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise

You should be able to get a near new 135i for that money. Do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
You should definitely get a 135i for under $80K if you can find a demo out there.
      09-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
so I test-drove the 125i coupe this week and i absolutely love it. it is so comfortable and refined yet can be so much fun when you press on just a little bit harder than you should

I have 2 questions though for the fellow aussies here:

1) the model I test-drove had the M sports pack. the ride was a bit choppy but I thought it was ok. has anyone gotten the M pack and regretted it?

2) what other cars should I test-drive that offer similar... grins? only conditions are it must be auto (for the fiance) and under 80k onroad. I'm thinking Audi S3?
I got a 125, M Sports, Sunroof for just over 65k.

You're getting ripped if it's anything over that!

To answer your questions as my model is the same as the one you tested:

1 - The M suspension ONLY gets hard if you're driving on shitty roads. 80% of the time i don't notice it, the other 20% i LOVE it cause i'm going around corners

2 - I was also looking at the Audi S3. It is nowhere near as refined as the 125. Strange to say it i know, but the 125i has better looks and a MUCH nicer exhaust tone, plus it's a hell of a lot more comfortable.

You won't be disappointed with the 125i, i can absolutely guarantee you that. Mine's about 6-7 weeks old, and still feel like it's the day i took delivery when i turn her on!

On top of that, i'm going to toot my own horn, but on the Southern Highlands drive day last Sunday we had all 135's apart from myself and woosh (130). Woosh and I kept up really well - never got left behind
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Don't underestimate the ability of the RFT's to give a poor ride on uneven surfaces. The suspension package in the M-Sport kit is quite decent for everyday use and sporty weekend touring IMO.

Best thing I did was replace the RFT's with a set of traditional hoops.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I'll definitely ask about any 135i demonstrators they can let go of for under 80k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
I got a 125, M Sports, Sunroof for just over 65k.

You're getting ripped if it's anything over that!
2 - I was also looking at the Audi S3. It is nowhere near as refined as the 125. Strange to say it i know, but the 125i has better looks and a MUCH nicer exhaust tone, plus it's a hell of a lot more comfortable.
Sounds like a good price, is that for manual though? And I assume non-metallic paint judging by your sig pic? Which dealer did you go to?

Interesting opinion on the S3, never would have imagined the S3 to be uncomfortable. I like the look of the 1 coupe much better too
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
wmj73
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, 440i GC

Garage List
2008   [0.00]
2020 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
I have never regretted the M-sport suspension. Just like the others have said, only gets hard when driving on crappy roads. Goodluck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj73 View Post
I have never regretted the M-sport suspension. Just like the others have said, only gets hard when driving on crappy roads. Goodluck with your decision.
Sounds like a definite then... also I like the M-sport wheels much better.

What is the difference with the M-sport seats? The brochure says that they are sports seats but what exactly is the difference compared to the regular 125i seats?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

I've got a 125i with M-sport suspension too, very good. The ride's a little harsh on Sydney roads, but then i've gone from a forester to this, so it's a big jump in suspension travel. Ride quality is ok though considering the performance, you're not going to get super comfy suspension with this kind of handling unless you spend MUCH more dosh imo.
      09-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I'll definitely ask about any 135i demonstrators they can let go of for under 80k.

Sounds like a good price, is that for manual though? And I assume non-metallic paint judging by your sig pic? Which dealer did you go to?

Interesting opinion on the S3, never would have imagined the S3 to be uncomfortable. I like the look of the 1 coupe much better too
Alpine White, correct.

Auto

Got it from Kloster BMW in Newcastle, after Col Crawford decided they don't like customers. I heard bad things about CC, but decided to give them a shot. Then it came to a point when the Finance Manager laughed at me, and they thought I was just 'another kid' at 23 seeing a car.

Kloster were absolutely terrific. The car was bought (lease) on the Thursday afternoon, rego'd Friday and prepped, ready and picked up Saturday at 8am.

And they have fantastic post-sales customer service, the type of shit BMW are renowned for.

Can't say the same for Col Crawford.

On the S3, the driving dynamics were terrible. The 125i is a world away from the S3. The raised centre-of-gravity, the thinner car, it just doesn't work. Nothing compared to what i felt and what i still feel in the 125i.

The 125i is a whole other experience compared to the S3.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

yeah, i went into the car buying experience with the intention of buying an S3, i was at the dealership negotiating the price and i spoke to my boss (who's a BMW fan), he told me to just go and visit the BMW dealership he buys from to see if there was anything they could do. Initially my reaction was that there was nothing in the range that would compare to the S3. I mean on paper it's more powerful and AWD (though mostly fwd in reality), plus the tuning options on the S3 are pretty good, like a chip gets you from 188kw to 225kw or so.

Anyway, first i drove the S3 with the dual clutch box, the acceleration was very nice, but the car left me feeling unconnected and a little sterile. To be honest i was underwhelmed, but figured it would grow on me. I then test drove a manual S3, this was MUCH better, the gear box is 2nd to none in my opinion, much slicker than the 125i. Though i got out of the car feeling ok about it, and with the opinion that it would grow on me as i tested it's limits out etc.

Then i spoke to my boss, and went to BMW.

The sales person said the 125i would be the best option considering my budget and the fact that i was looking at an S3. Looking at the brochure i wasn't convinced, 160kw and 270nm torque, compared to 188kw and 320nm (or whatever the S3 was). So i figured it couldn't hurt to have a test drive, she sent me down to the garage, and one of the guys said he'd bring the car out. I was standing in the garage, watching him get into the car, at this point i was actually thinking how much i could get off the Audi after all my negotiations to that point. The guy hit the start button and the thoughts of the Audi evaporated... the note of the exhaust was very unexpected and straight away i got interested. Jumped in the car, drove off, what a sound! Then out onto the road. Certainly not the outright acceleration of the S3, but the package felt so good in the corners, and the power was good. I was still unsure of what to do. I got back to the dealership with a BIG grin on my face, told them i needed to think about it and arranged a meeting with the sales person the next day.

It took an hour for that stupid grin to leave my face, and i think that was what clinched it in the end, the car makes me smile when i drive it.

Ended up that the 125i and the S3 were going to be exactly the same price. The BMW person was more agressive in the end at getting the business.. if the Audi guy had given me an extra $1k off the price, that is probably what i'd be driving now, as i was prepared to sign on the dotted line straight off the bat if he met my price.

No complaints on the BMW, it's a sweet sweet ride, rear wheel drive is so nice (having never owned one before), and the linear power delivery and responsiveness of the BMW straight 6 is awesome.

2 thumbs up!
      09-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by janus77 View Post
yeah, i went into the car buying experience with the intention of buying an S3, i was at the dealership negotiating the price and i spoke to my boss (who's a BMW fan), he told me to just go and visit the BMW dealership he buys from to see if there was anything they could do. Initially my reaction was that there was nothing in the range that would compare to the S3. I mean on paper it's more powerful and AWD (though mostly fwd in reality), plus the tuning options on the S3 are pretty good, like a chip gets you from 188kw to 225kw or so.

Anyway, first i drove the S3 with the dual clutch box, the acceleration was very nice, but the car left me feeling unconnected and a little sterile. To be honest i was underwhelmed, but figured it would grow on me. I then test drove a manual S3, this was MUCH better, the gear box is 2nd to none in my opinion, much slicker than the 125i. Though i got out of the car feeling ok about it, and with the opinion that it would grow on me as i tested it's limits out etc.

Then i spoke to my boss, and went to BMW.

The sales person said the 125i would be the best option considering my budget and the fact that i was looking at an S3. Looking at the brochure i wasn't convinced, 160kw and 270nm torque, compared to 188kw and 320nm (or whatever the S3 was). So i figured it couldn't hurt to have a test drive, she sent me down to the garage, and one of the guys said he'd bring the car out. I was standing in the garage, watching him get into the car, at this point i was actually thinking how much i could get off the Audi after all my negotiations to that point. The guy hit the start button and the thoughts of the Audi evaporated... the note of the exhaust was very unexpected and straight away i got interested. Jumped in the car, drove off, what a sound! Then out onto the road. Certainly not the outright acceleration of the S3, but the package felt so good in the corners, and the power was good. I was still unsure of what to do. I got back to the dealership with a BIG grin on my face, told them i needed to think about it and arranged a meeting with the sales person the next day.

It took an hour for that stupid grin to leave my face, and i think that was what clinched it in the end, the car makes me smile when i drive it.

Ended up that the 125i and the S3 were going to be exactly the same price. The BMW person was more agressive in the end at getting the business.. if the Audi guy had given me an extra $1k off the price, that is probably what i'd be driving now, as i was prepared to sign on the dotted line straight off the bat if he met my price.

No complaints on the BMW, it's a sweet sweet ride, rear wheel drive is so nice (having never owned one before), and the linear power delivery and responsiveness of the BMW straight 6 is awesome.

2 thumbs up!
Great thoughts Janus, and i smiled reading it as it's EXACTLY what i thought too. My thoughts were fixated on the S3 Sportback, but then i found the 125i @ Sylvania BMW.

I'd been for a ride in a family friends' 135i last year, and knew how they drove.

I think this added to my thoughts when i picked her up - i didn't test drive. As she was in the dealership @ Kloster, i turned the engine on and "Woah..." just came right over me with the biggest smurk ever! The sound of the exhaust is just phenomenal.

As the head of BMW M Division has said, exhaust isn't about "quantity, it's the quality of the sound"...And fuck do they have that correct!!!

The package of the 125i is what gives it the edge. Straight 6 contrinbutes to a smoother power curve, lovely note and more importantly, a better balanced car in the front-end. The 50/50 distrubution and strut bars give the car a certain comfort when you're cornering - you just know it's going to stick with DTC and DSC on.

I think BMW have cerainly got it with the 125. It's the experience, it's the car all-round and whatever roles you want it to play it'll play it.

The Sunday morning cruiser? No worries - the comfort takes care of that.
The Friday night spirited driver? No worries - she's got some performance.
The Freeway ripper? No worries - She hits 200km/h without a worry and just idles at 110km/h.

I love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I agree. The S3 was nice and I liked it.

I got in the 135i and fell in love.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

i don't know about others, but i drive with the DTC & DSC off most of the time unless it's wet, the electronic LSD is pretty good i reckon, the traction and stability control can kick in when you don't want them otherwise..
      09-24-2009, 08:49 PM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
On top of that, i'm going to toot my own horn, but on the Southern Highlands drive day last Sunday we had all 135's apart from myself and woosh (130). Woosh and I kept up really well - never got left behind
Dont confuse our kindness as a weakness...

We just didnt want to see you left out of the fun...

Only kidding mate... You were deffinately giving the 135's a run with "Christine" on the twisties..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Dont confuse our kindness as a weakness...

We just didnt want to see you left out of the fun...

Only kidding mate... You were deffinately giving the 135's a run with "Christine" on the twisties..
Don't worry, i wasn't giving it any.

It certainly was fun!!! Hopefully this Tassie meet for next year gets off the ground!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #17
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

Just for something different, a mate of mine tested both the 135i and S3. He ended up going with the S3 because he felt more confident in it in the twisty corners.
      09-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Mahan... all i'm going to say is if you're going to dump 80k into a new car get a 135i !!!
I'd take a bone stock 135i over a 125i any day of the week, especially if you need to get an auto stick. The 125i auto is very slow compared to the manual, whereas the 135i auto is phenomenal...

There's a few demo's and 2nd hand going for under 80k i'm pretty sure. Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #19
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
What is the difference with the M-sport seats? The brochure says that they are sports seats but what exactly is the difference compared to the regular 125i seats?
The seats are the same in the standard package and the M-Sports.

The differences are the lowered suspension, different steering wheel, different wheels (although still 17"), M-Sports door sills............um, I think that's it.
      09-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #20
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep

What about the 125i M-sport package? Are the 18's which come on the 135i an option on top of the M-sport package on the 125i? Just noticing that Taymaishu's car has the M-sport pack, but not the 18's?
      09-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #21
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
The 18" wheels that come standard on the 135i are an option that is separate to the M-Sports pack. The 17" wheels that come with the 125i M-Sports pack are the ones on Taymaishu's car, the ten spokers (which technically have twenty spokes).
      09-24-2009, 10:27 PM   #22
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
Just for something different, a mate of mine tested both the 135i and S3. He ended up going with the S3 because he felt more confident in it in the twisty corners.
I guess it's just the feel that people get personally with the car; absolutely sure some people would swear the S3 is a better corner/ride/drive because that's the feel they like.

For me, the 125i was streaks ahead for my driving style.
Appreciate 0