BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

So who's had a Mini Cooper S?

I've recently purchased a 99' Miata for track days. Have done some modifications to the Miata, and the wife has decided to go back to school. So I'm thinking of tightening my "motoring budget". I was thinking of "down-grading" to a Mini to save some money but preserve some sportiness to my daily-driving.

I have a 2007 E92 335i. I've had it piggy'd briefly. I've tracked it a couple times. The 36 month lease is finished in December. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy my E92 with only 20K miles, or should I pick up a used Mini Cooper S for half the price? Will I be miserable? I like the "Mini look". That Bulldog stance is pretty cool if done right.

Was wondering if anyone has had both a Mini Cooper S and a 335i? Advice?

Thanks in advance.
      09-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

My wife has a mini cooper S. Its great, but not comparable to 335i, even in the handling department. If I were to choose, I would pick the 335i.
      09-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

What year mini are you looking to get? New or used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
I've recently purchased a 99' Miata for track days. Have done some modifications to the Miata, and the wife has decided to go back to school. So I'm thinking of tightening my "motoring budget". I was thinking of "down-grading" to a Mini to save some money but preserve some sportiness to my daily-driving.

I have a 2007 E92 335i. I've had it piggy'd briefly. I've tracked it a couple times. The 36 month lease is finished in December. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy my E92 with only 20K miles, or should I pick up a used Mini Cooper S for half the price? Will I be miserable? I like the "Mini look". That Bulldog stance is pretty cool if done right.

Was wondering if anyone has had both a Mini Cooper S and a 335i? Advice?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Looking at a couple of 2004 Mini Cooper S Coupes with about 50K miles, and heavily optioned for around $15K with room to negotiate (probably).

IF I was going to go that route, it really only makes sense to spend $15K or less. Otherwise, I start getting closer and closer to my buyout on my 335i.

If the price is the same for a newer higher priced Mini vs my used E92, it would be obvious which way I would go. My E92.

Thanks again for advice. Gesler, could you elaborate?
      09-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #5
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

well, the one we have is a 2007 MCS auto transmission( for obvious reasons). The mini doesn't have any mods, and my 335i has the BMW performance suspension. I have not driven either car on any track; my impression is based on normal driving.

The mini does everything people say it does: a small car with impressive acceleration, and is very nimble and responsive. The stock suspension is quite stiff, probably more than the ZSP suspension on the 335i, and the car feels very stable during turns at high speeds. I think they offer a sport and a hypersport package, and I imagine the handling gets even better with them, at the expense of comfort. Stated HP is 178, but the pick up is outstanding (don't know what the torque is), and since it is a turbo, power gains should be easy to get. I test drove a MT model, and I think that is the ideal transmission for the car.

335i obviously is much more powerful, and I find it more stable and steerable during turns. You don't get the same feeling with the mini. I think it comes down to differences between FWD and RWD. The mini doesn't feel as precise as the 335i. After driving the mini for a while, driving the 335i just feels exhilarating. Other issues are the mini is very noisy inside, the music system is not as good, and the central console with window, door lock toggles/switches and the AC controls are kind of weird, as is the position of the speedometer, but these are all minor issues really considering its price and its performance.

If the options are 2007 or later MCS (?R56) for 20-25k, and buying off your 335i, I would go with the 335i. I don't know how the older MCS compares to the 335i.
      09-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I had an 07' 335 that I modded with SSTT/BMC and some BBS RS GT's.

It left and an 08' MCS took it's place.

It's primary use is my city run around car.

It may sound weird but the Mini feels quicker. Of course it isn't but they just have a certain nimbleness that is just a blast.
The 335 felt more planted while the MCS has a light and tight feel, if you will.

Being my first I can't say much about the SC versions you mentioned.
The ride approaches harsh but does not bother me at all. All I have done is drop it with some Eibachs.

There are so many easy mods available that I want to get but it's a lease and I will probably buy a JCW to keep....I can't believe I just said that.

Bottom line:

I did not miss the 335 but feel I would miss my Mini if I had to get rid of it for some reason. Looking to get the JCW version soon. I gave mine a good wash and wax yesterday and she looks marvelous.

Go drive one. You will see!

g/l
      09-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the kind advice. This is pretty much what I've read from other Mini owners coming from other semi-high performance cars. They all say it's just fun. It may not be as fast or handle quite as precise, but it is very enjoyable.

I'm kinda excited in some respects. I've found with these lower horsepower cars (my Miata, etc), you feel like you're going faster and are quicker when you may actually be slower around town than the high horsepower cars. Honestly, I don't care about dragging from stoplight to stoplight, and I don't care if people think it's a chick's car.
I just want a 4 seat fun practical car around town that is CHEAPER. I've got my modded Miata for the track to go "fast".

Gatorblue... That Mini sounds badass, but I'm in Iowa... the likelihood I'll be able to hookup with that guy is low. Not to mention it sounds a little more pricey than I'm looking at. I will say the ability to personalize a Mini and the almost endless tweaking possibilities are attractive.
      09-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
So if you want something sportier than your 335i, but nicer than a mini, try a 135i.
      09-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

No offense to 135i owners, but it has been beaten with the ugly stick one too many times. And honestly, they really aren't much cheaper than a 335i. And finally, despite what most want to believe, they're slower than a 335i. So, if I wasn't going to get a cheap Mini, I'd just keep my 335i over saving $2-3K getting a 135i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
So if you want something sportier than your 335i, but nicer than a mini, try a 135i.
      09-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
No offense to 135i owners, but it has been beaten with the ugly stick one too many times. And honestly, they really aren't much cheaper than a 335i. And finally, despite what most want to believe, they're slower than a 335i. So, if I wasn't going to get a cheap Mini, I'd just keep my 335i over saving $2-3K getting a 135i.
In what fantasy world do you live where the 135i is slower than a 335i? It's the same power plant minus a couple hundred pounds.
      09-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
ponch_ki
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

I have both a Mini Cooper S and a 135i, they are both fun to drive (but I have to say that the 135i is more powerful, havent tried both on the track though)

I have to agree that putting some mods on the Mini would really make it a fast car. I guess it's up to your needs as your daily driver. The bimmer however IMO, has more utility and comfort to offer, my .02
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

A Mini Cooper S would be a nice option for a fun car. If you want something for track duties and daily driving a Mini would be a good option and whoever says they don't compare in the handling department to a 335i doesn't know shit...

I personally would buy another car, but the question you're asking is if you'd be happy with the Mini and the answer is an apples and oranges yes.

They love modifications however once you get over the 200whp ish mark you will have some traction problems but suspension goodies and bolt ons make these things a hoot.

For the guy who said the MCS doesn't compare to the Mini, I bet you get your ass handed to you by a good driver in a MCS on a track day.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Every serious review of the 135i said the steering was vague and the handling was softer than the 335i coupe on a track. I don't mean straight-line acceleration. But I'm not here to degrade or rip on the 135i.
Really it doesn't matter. I don't like the appearance of the 135i (just personal taste).

I have a Miata for track duties anyway, and I can tell you that the E92 M3 and several higher horsepower cars I passed last HPDE were NOT happy. So, I only need the Mini for daily driving.

Hey... it's sounding like a better option from everyone I've talked to that has owned BOTH a Mini and an E90/E92.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the 2005-2006 range of MCS or JCW are superior to earlier and later versions? My price target is 15-20K.

Thanks again. I apologize if I have sounded argumentative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
In what fantasy world do you live where the 135i is slower than a 335i? It's the same power plant minus a couple hundred pounds.
      09-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Well... That's kinda where I'm stuck. Here's some options (all private sale).

2003 Mini Cooper Silver base for $12K with 53K miles. Premium and cold weather package. Halogens. Black Leather. Manual trans. 2 owner car. Currently owned by a Pastor.

2006 JCW Metallic Grey for $20.5K with 51K miles. JCW Aero package. Brake package. Black Leather. Premium, Sport, Cold. Sunroof delete. Manual trans. Boost and volt gauges. One BMW enthusiast owner.

2004 Mini Cooper S for $15K with 57K miles. Premium, Cold, and Sport packages. Aero package. 18" Enkei wheels. Extra set stock wheels with Blizzaks. One owner car.

So... Do I buy the first and totally overhaul it buy adding power mods, suspension, and wheels? Do I buy the second which is totally setup except it needs some springs or coilovers? Or do I buy the 3rd which is in between and has the extra set of wheels? I think I'd want at least the 170ish HP of the S version, right?

Decisions.. Decisions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Well (I forget which year exactly) they switched from s/c to turbo...

I think the older models are more reliable, and the JCW's are rip offs anyways. Look for a stocker and build it yourself and it will come out thousands cheaper.
      09-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

I would go with a Turbo mini over an SC'd one but that's just because I pref that type of forced induction. I think the first year was 2007 but I doubt you will find one for $15,000.00
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

r56 mini S owner, and I traded it in on a 135i

the mini is very fun, torque steer is a pita, but they have a gocart fun feeling. I do not regret going to the 135i, the 135i felt the most fun out of all the 3's including the m3
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #17
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Yeah.... I should buy a Pontiac instead.

Quote:
I wouldn't buy any of those cars, because at the end of the day the Mini is a European car and will start to break down after a certain amount of miles...
      09-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Have someone go look at it. Offer 15 shipped.
      09-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #19
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Those are the listed prices. Not what I'm willing to pay. I agree that a turbo'd car over 50K can be risky, two of these are supercharged... which is a little more reliable... right? Also, resale value is somewhat based on reliability, right? Mini's seem to have very good resale. Maybe they're just cheap and popular.

Gator... I can't figure you out. You want me to buy your buddies MCS which is forced induction (wasn't it?) but tell me to stay away from these.

Quote:
you can buy whatever you want, but Mini parts are expensive to replace... and a turbo car with 50k+ miles is a break waiting to happen. But you'll figure that out eventually...

Not to mention that every offer you presented is overpriced for what you get...
      09-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep

Where is this place? (Edit: Nevermind... Figured it out.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Have someone go look at it. Offer 15 shipped.
      09-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

New York City I think.

The engine cover says Werks???????????????????

Get on the East Coast section here and see if someone knows of the place and or will go looky.

If clean/sound that is a strong price for the options and mileage shown. Leather/Nav/Roof.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #22
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

If you can try to swing an 05-05. They revised the superchargers and gearing for the 05 models and they do feel faster. The 02 and 03 models have a number of early production problems like power steering pumps, clutch slave cylinders, etc. that may be a problem. I had an 04 Cooper S that I wish I had never sold.

Here's a really sweet 06 JCW for sale locally here in Houston.
http://www.metroplexmini.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=27407
Appreciate 0