BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I may be cancelling my order tomorrow

Hi guys, need some advice:

(Long story short)

My car receieved a chassis number last saturday (11th). I decided on that time, that i wanted to make a switch to manual transmission, but was told that this is not possible once the car receives the number as that means it is on the production line. Car was scheduled for Sep build.

I've tried to get my dealer to budge but he says there is nothing he can do. I've been depressed about not being able to change since then, but have come up with a revelation.

Tomorrow, I am going to go in and ask one last time if they can change it. Has anyone ever had any luck getting anything changed after receiving a chassis (VF****) number?

Otherwise, I figure, if they don't want to deal, I am going to shy out of the contract, lose $3000 on the deposit, but I will gain $1800 or so from the switch to manual. I figure the $1200 is an expensive lesson but worth the peace of mind.

Thoughts?

Stef
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

are you referring to the VIN number? if so i believe you can't as your car has already begun production.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Dunno if its VIN - its the one thats like VD21920.... Dunno if that's the same. Anyone want to console me over choosing an AUTO?
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
I've got an auto and there are a heck of lot of autos out there, so we can't all be wrong about them. It's a different driving experience (duh!) but if you get too bored, you've still got the flappy paddles to entertain you (although I very seldom use them).
      09-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Mate if all you are worried about is speed then I would stick with the auto. The auto trans is brilliant, gear changes seem flawless and the paddle shifters are very handy - i use them every day. You will also run much better times in the auto unless you're a track junkie as well.

If you're simply after a manual for the fun factor then I would definitely go with manual. This may be your last chance to get onto a DIY manual gearbox as the trend is now towards DCT. The N54 is already equipped with the DCT transmission, in every BMW but the 135i!!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Likely your car is already on the boat. The transmission is a fairly fundamental upfront option/choice, so I wouldn't be expecting the dealer to play ball if changing your mind now.

I have auto and enjoy it, but mine is a daily-driver used in peak-hour drive into CBD traffic.
      09-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Aussieracer and I love driving on the race track and we love our auto 135i.

That said it I think.
      09-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
If you're simply after a manual for the fun factor then I would definitely go with manual. This may be your last chance to get onto a DIY manual gearbox as the trend is now towards DCT. The N54 is already equipped with the DCT transmission, in every BMW but the 135i!!
DCT is way better, but the auto in the 135i is better than any other non dual clutch gear box out there. It is just as close as the DSG in VW and just a touch slower than the Porsche's PDK and the Lexus ISF's 7 speed.

I do think DCT is way better than PDK in term of speed and rev matching.
      09-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Auto is fun. Loads of fun.

Love going through windy, twisty roads with 'spirited driving', flicking through gears with both hands still on the wheel.

Fan-fucking-tastic.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I changed my mind also after ordering the AT, but was lucky enough to be still inside the time frame before the order was finalised and replaced the order for the 6MT.

Unlike you, the dealer informed me that I was lucky, as once the order is processed/VIN allocated its finalised.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Spoke to the dealership this morning, I'd be down a thousand if the managers agree to take my car and my deposit as the savings from the MT would be close to 2 gorillas. Obviously he has to speak to his superiors as the dealership would gain a fully loaded 135i which they may be reluctant to take. I just think decking a car out in performance gear and then going AUTO is a oxymoron of sorts. I don't really do any CBD driving a side from night time drives, and I think at 22 im a bit young from AUTO.

He is going to get back to me. My left knee has been giving me the shits since driving auto (Sold my WRX, am driving my dads old 730)....Decisions decisions.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I have an auto. Great for use as a daily. But on weekends im getting the good old clutch and stick itch. Im picking up an old 318is that will be the stick for now...that and I can beat on it and better my technique without worrying about the car as much.

However my next new car will def have 3 pedals. FYI im 19, and the paddles are cool....but I def do loose some style points with the auto.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

6MT + Performance short shift kit...mmmm... Will see what they say. They also said I might be looking at January (:O) delivery! Small price to pay however. Not even sure i'll be able to change yet at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

manual for the cool kids... auto for rich kids... DTC/PDK/DSG for girls/nerds (only true if ur 30 and below) j/k
      09-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #15
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Might just be keeping the auto. I'd lose $1000 for the deposit - the tranmission savings, but the head of the dealership said i might have to pay an additional $1200 down the track for any price rises. I didn't even think they were able to do this but anyway. Then we'd be looking at end of December delivery earliest.

Said i'd think about it but don't know what to do...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

they can put the price up at any time, BUT they have to give you 7 days notice and you can cancel during that time with no penalty - it's all in the contract......
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyD View Post
they can put the price up at any time, BUT they have to give you 7 days notice and you can cancel during that time with no penalty - it's all in the contract......
That's true, but Totti has signed a contract to buy the fully optioned auto from them, and as long as they haven't reneged on delivery dates, they have a right to hold him to that car. So I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to pin any price rises on him should he back out and get the manual instead.
      09-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #18
Sprey
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Totti, perhaps you should drive the auto and manual back to back and then decide. Also, try to think back to why you chose the auto in the first place and what triggered the change of heart. Was it based on some mental speculation on potential enjoyment that you changed your mind or was it from actual subsequent driving experience of a manual? Worse, was it because of something someone said?

For me, I loved both but knew which one I would enjoy for more of the time in my situation; as opposed to the one I'd enjoy heaps but only for some of the time. Performance wise on the street (and arguably on the track) is probably pretty line ball anyway, and the difference in money doesn't appear to be a deciding factor for you (that's a good thing). Easy for me to say now, I realise...

Hope this helps.

P.S. I chose auto.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #19
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

in WA the contract also has on the back (part of WA laws) that you can cancel the contract if a new car isnt delivered within 3 months of you putting the order/deposit down.

not sure if this is the case in other states but read the back of the paper you signed!

could threaten them with that, if you definitely know it wont be here in 3 months from signing
      09-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #20
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprey View Post
Totti, perhaps you should drive the auto and manual back to back and then decide. Also, try to think back to why you chose the auto in the first place and what triggered the change of heart. Was it based on some mental speculation on potential enjoyment that you changed your mind or was it from actual subsequent driving experience of a manual? Worse, was it because of something someone said?

For me, I loved both but knew which one I would enjoy for more of the time in my situation; as opposed to the one I'd enjoy heaps but only for some of the time. Performance wise on the street (and arguably on the track) is probably pretty line ball anyway, and the difference in money doesn't appear to be a deciding factor for you (that's a good thing). Easy for me to say now, I realise...

Hope this helps.

P.S. I chose auto.

Spot on with comments above - I knew I wanted auto until subsequent shit canning from extended family and some friends... Reason I decided to stick with the Auto after some inspirational words from my dad... I know i won't be disappointed.

Thanks for comments guys, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 12:56 AM   #21
BMWRX
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
When my parents found out I got an auto, Mum piped up with "I NEVER thought I'd see you drive an auto" in a disappointed tone similar to what you'd expect "I NEVER thought you'd do crack cocaine" would be uttered.

One drive and her mind was changed.
      09-17-2009, 12:57 AM   #22
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Doesnt matter what people say. You're the one living with it. I'm sure you wont be disappointed with auto. I love my auto, never looked back.
Appreciate 0