BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
GR3G
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M135i | Apr 15: AY M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M135i  [0.00]
Unhappy Ouch

I just wanted to share my pain! Recently I’ve had two little ‘ouch’ moments on the beast.

Worst one was the scratch on the driver’s side rear bumper which happened in my own car park at work one day! Meaning one of my bloody customers side swiped me while parking next to me and didn’t have the decency to come back to tell me! GRRRRrrrr

While the rim was my fault  though wouldn’t of happened if the person in the lane next to me turned right from their lane and not in the middle of the road.

I’ve price the damage at $140 for the rim and $180 for the scratch through 1800 Whoops (http://www.thesmartguys.com.au/) which I read about on here.

Greg
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

How are they repairing the guard for $180... Thats very cheap..

I had the the underneath of my front lip scratched on a deep speed hump and they had to respray the whole front apron/bumper..

The panel shop wouldnt even consider just spraying the under area and blowing it in..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Ouchhh. That is painful to look at. Deepest sympathies.

I find myself always underestimating the length of the front of the car when parking and nosing it too far forward towards wheel stops or the curb. Maybe it's due to the long bonnet or something. Should have got front parking sensors (although I am not sure if they will detect ground level obstacles).

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2009, 05:29 AM   #4
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post

I had the the underneath of my front lip scratched on a deep speed hump and they had to respray the whole front apron/bumper..

The panel shop wouldnt even consider just spraying the under area and blowing it in..
Ouch spacegrey... sorry to hear that

Zuzu... they just repair part of the bumper.... not all the repair shop will paint the whole thing even they said they would, unless you know the shop and they tell you honestly what they did. You can't tell the different after the job.

My friend owns a panel shop and he tells me most people will not paint the whole part in this sort of repair. Because there is no point.

I will go to smartguys or similar... there is chipsaway in NSW.
      08-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by takahashi View Post
Ouch spacegrey... sorry to hear that

Zuzu... they just repair part of the bumper.... not all the repair shop will paint the whole thing even they said they would, unless you know the shop and they tell you honestly what they did. You can't tell the different after the job.

My friend owns a panel shop and he tells me most people will not paint the whole part in this sort of repair. Because there is no point.

I will go to smartguys or similar... there is chipsaway in NSW.
I know what you mean Taka, but they deffinately sprayed the whole front end of my car.

I watched them remove it completly off the car and repair all the annoying stone chips that I had collected in the past 12 months before respraying it totally..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
I know what you mean Taka, but they deffinately sprayed the whole front end of my car.

I watched them remove it completly off the car and repair all the annoying stone chips that I had collected in the past 12 months before respraying it totally..
Of course, if you have a stone chip on left side of the bumper and a few on the right side. There is no other way but to paint the whole thing.

If a large area being painted... it is better off doing in the panel shop where there is relatively less dust. The last thing you want is to have some lumpy surface after repair.
      08-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
GR3G
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M135i | Apr 15: AY M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I thought so too, considering if I were to drop it into the panel shop down the road it'll probably be off the road for a couple days and cost me a whole lot more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
Ouchhh. That is painful to look at. Deepest sympathies.

I find myself always underestimating the length of the front of the car when parking and nosing it too far forward towards wheel stops or the curb. Maybe it's due to the long bonnet or something. Should have got front parking sensors (although I am not sure if they will detect ground level obstacles).
Thanks d3syd. I wish i got the front sensors!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have front parking sensors, they wont detect those kerb stops. They lie to close to the ground.
However they work really well with large objects though. Very handy for parallel parking.

I tend to reverse park into those car spots with the kerb stop. The rear of the cars got more clearence.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #9
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynoway View Post
I have front parking sensors, they wont detect those kerb stops. They lie to close to the ground.
However they work really well with large objects though. Very handy for parallel parking.

I tend to reverse park into those car spots with the kerb stop. The rear of the cars got more clearence.
Yes reverse parking would be an option. I have been forcing myself though to stop the car half a metre short of where I would normally naturally stop. It always feels like I am going to have the backside of the car sticking out of the lot, but then when I get out of the car I realise it is pretty short and all's well.

I guess maybe it comes from the fact that my 1er is so much shorter than all my other cars.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0