BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

HPFP warranty extension??

I notice several posts by customers that have received letters from BMW USA extending the warranty to 10 years/120,000miles on the HPFP. Does anyone know if this is happening for Canadian cars as well? Anyone receive any notifications from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

I was wondering the same thing. Since it is coming from BMWNA we should be afforded the same warranty extension but everything in Canada just seems to be an afterthought for BMWNA.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
BaNaNaBoy69
Canada
Rep
Drives: E88

Garage List
When I read about the HPFP issues on this forum, I asked the guy at the Auto West BMW Parts Dept if he knew anything about it and the extended warranty in the US. He said he is not aware of any HPFP issues or any extended warranties. He suggested that I ask the Aftersales staff since they deal with Service issues more and that BMW US is completely separate from BMW Canada.

I'm not completely convinced yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
DubSport
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

They should just issue a damn recall for f*cks sakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubSport View Post
They should just issue a damn recall for f*cks sakes.
No chance they ever do a recall as it's not all HPFP's that are failing. I would just rather have confirmation they are extending the warranty as that's what protects you.

Besides, it appears that they don't even have a permanent fix for it. If they recalled they could replace my good HPFP with a bad one.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Since it is coming from BMWNA we should be afforded the same warranty extension but everything in Canada just seems to be an afterthought for BMWNA.
Well technically BMWNA is completely separate from BMW Canada. Legally BMW Canada is a completely separate entity, so NA doesn't make any decisions for Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
DubSport
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
No chance they ever do a recall as it's not all HPFP's that are failing. I would just rather have confirmation they are extending the warranty as that's what protects you.

Besides, it appears that they don't even have a permanent fix for it. If they recalled they could replace my good HPFP with a bad one.
I would rather it be recalled and replaced with a unit that is redesigned and will not fail so quick, instead of a 10-12 year warranty on units that consistently and repeatedly fail. You like to have to bring your car into BMW repeatedly for the same issue? One silly issue like this will drive down the resale of our cars going forward...

You are right, not all HPFP's have failed, but it is a staggering amount. I am certain though that if these failures were in some way related to the safety of the drivers/passengers, we would have already had a recall.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaNaNaBoy69 View Post
When I read about the HPFP issues on this forum, I asked the guy at the Auto West BMW Parts Dept if he knew anything about it and the extended warranty in the US. He said he is not aware of any HPFP issues or any extended warranties. He suggested that I ask the Aftersales staff since they deal with Service issues more and that BMW US is completely separate from BMW Canada.

I'm not completely convinced yet.

Funny thing about Autowest...a coworker had some starting issues with his 335 and thought it was HPFP. Turned out is was a sensor of some type and they corrected it right away. However, he asked the service agent at the counter about the HPFP problems and he acted dumb and said there are no issues with it. He said they never have trouble with them and they are great blah blah blah. Then my buddy walked around the side of the building by the service doors and talked to a service tech. He admitted they have replaced several HPFP and the first few took forever to figure the problem out. They tried other fixes without sucess till they replaced the HPFP. I would think there would be a service bulletin out now so it would not be an issue they would try and deny or dance around.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubSport View Post
I would rather it be recalled and replaced with a unit that is redesigned and will not fail so quick, instead of a 10-12 year warranty on units that consistently and repeatedly fail. You like to have to bring your car into BMW repeatedly for the same issue? One silly issue like this will drive down the resale of our cars going forward...
That would be great if they actually designed a part that was guaranteed to work. So far there are people with '09s that are reported to have fuel pumps failing, and some of them even have the part no 881 that is the latest one that should have corrected the fault. Having the warranty extended is better than a recall alone. Having the warranty extended + recall = even better.

But unfortunately it costs money to recall a part that will only be replaced with one that is sure to fail again, so BMW is biding time and taking the least expensive (and ultimately least damaging) approach. Think about it...all rumours point that BMW will adopt turbocharging in nearly their entire lineup. Even the M3 is planned to be getting a similar powerplant. If they publicly issued a recall they'd be admitting there is a fault with their cars whereas its much cheaper and less damaging to their rep right now to just silently replace a few pumps and deny a problem exists.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #10
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I'm with Lucky1, until they actually prove they have one that works I'm keeping my HPFP that hasn't given me any problems. And, I'll take the extended warranty too.
Appreciate 0