BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Did I get into Cop trouble?

I'm in Toronto, and I was driving down the DVP (one of our highways) and got out at Bloor street (an exit). There was a cop there around the curve on the ramp with his speed camera to his face, and he had 2 people pulled over, but was still using his camera. I was going 10 (kph) over the limit before I noticed him and braked, but I can say others WERE going slower than me. He didn't signal me to pull over, and didn't follow me either. Am I safe or do you think I can get a ticket in the mail?

Note: I know most ramps have the speed limit in yellow, meaning a little over fine, but this ramp has a white speed limit, so it is technically like the speed limit on any other road. I did notice that the cop's camera didn't look like it was pointed at my lane (this is a two lane ramp).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
I'm in Toronto, and I was driving down the DVP (one of our highways) and got out at Bloor street (an exit). There was a cop there around the curve on the ramp with his speed camera to his face, and he had 2 people pulled over, but was still using his camera. I was going 10 (kph) over the limit before I noticed him and braked, but I can say others WERE going slower than me. He didn't signal me to pull over, and didn't follow me either. Am I safe or do you think I can get a ticket in the mail?

Note: I know most ramps have the speed limit in yellow, meaning a little over fine, but this ramp has a white speed limit, so it is technically like the speed limit on any other road. I did notice that the cop's camera didn't look like it was pointed at my lane (this is a two lane ramp).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Speed camera? I have never heard of such a thing. I thought the cops used laser guided radar guns that just peg how fast your car is going. They can then decide if you are going too fast and pull you over. But they still need to pull you over to give you the ticket. You might not have been going fast enough for them to even bother especially if you were going slower than others. Sure this isn't what they were using on you?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

I said others were going faster than me. But I've never seen how the radar gun looks like; this was exactly like a conventional SLR camera and he had it to his face. He had pulled over others, so I'm guessing if anything he would have pulled me over, but I wanted to be sure...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

OP;
Fogedaboudit. If he didn't pull you over, you're fine.
If you were only going 10 Kms over the limit, they generally don't touch you anyway.
And in this case they had bigger fish to fry.
      04-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep

Good! Thanks for the replies. This is the last thing I'd want on my mind during exam period, so thanks for relieving my mind
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
jotapeh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
In general you can get away with UP TO 20% over the limit. NOTE this does not guarantee your safety. In general however most people in Toronto on the 400-series highways will travel at 120km/h; likewise on most city roads people will travel at 65km/h in 50 zones. Provided you are not stunt driving you should be good.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

You won't have a problem. They will come right into traffic to get you and it they don't, you're fine. They won't bother unless it's clear you're trying to escape them.
Appreciate 0