BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
jps
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: JB 128i Coupe

REAR-ENDED:( Toronto BMW bodywork?

Well, I was rear-ended today about 30 seconds after leaving my parking lot...super cheesed. My car is less than 4 months old.

Anyway...I purchased my 128 at Mississauga but I am going to Parkview to get my first quote and then likely back to Mississauga for the second. Do both dealerships outsource/aren't there bodyshops on the dealership lots? Any good or bad reviews on BMW body repairs within the GTA?

ANY INFO OR ADVICE ON ANYTHING AT ALL would be very helpful as this is my first accident and first BMW.

Thanks to all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
hot_ride
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

The hired bodyshop for the Autohaus BMW is Mister John Auto. I had a small piece of work done with them. A lot of BMWs, lots of high end cars. End result was good. A little pricey if you're paying out of pocket but should look good.

Steeles/Weston area.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
jps
Private
Canada
Rep

So I have spoken to my insurance company and this isn't going to cost me anything so I likely won't be driving around to get different quotes. The service consultant at Parkview, where my car currently is, tells me there are only 2 authorized BMW repair shops in the GTA. Do insurance companies say where you can and can not go?

I am very thankful they gave me a loaner (actually had this appointment set up before I was hit because the engine light went on solid for about 3 days) but man is it gutless! The combination of less horsepower (it's a 323), bigger feeling car, and automatic transmission really takes the fun out of driving. Or...maybe I just really miss my baby
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #4
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

In Ontario, insurance companies aren't allowed to tell you which shop you have to use. They can tell you to go to a particular shop to get a quote and then they pay only up to the amount of the quote, no matter where you go.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Assured on Eastern is very good.

Remember, however, that some insurance companies will not guarantee the work for the life of the car unless you're using one of their preferred shops.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
So I have spoken to my insurance company and this isn't going to cost me anything so I likely won't be driving around to get different quotes. The service consultant at Parkview, where my car currently is, tells me there are only 2 authorized BMW repair shops in the GTA. Do insurance companies say where you can and can not go?
(
BTW since my car is also from Parkview, what two shops did they give the thumbs up to?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

European Autobody they are located at hwy 27 and Steeles. they are owned by the Maranello group which operates Maranello BMW, Ferrari of Ontario, Mini VW etc. etc. Had some dealing with them on my Mini when I lived in Toronto, they are first class. Also they are the only licenced body shop for Ferrari in Canada, so you know they will look after you.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HungryMan View Post

Remember, however, that some insurance companies will not guarantee the work for the life of the car unless you're using one of their preferred shops.
+1.

Yep, look for that. If you go to a shop not approved by your insurance company, make sure you get their warranty in writing.

Check the quote for what the shop is going to do, too. When my Miata was hit by some gent backing up, the insurance company shop wanted to pop it out and filler-ize it. My dealership met their quote and replaced the bumper cover.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
jps
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote is $4400.00. They are replacing the bumper, bumper re-bar, and part of the exhaust. They are fixing part of the rear panel (expained to me as 'where the spare would normally go'). Hope it works out OK!

Parkview set me up with Excellence Auto (near 401 and Kipling). The service consultant said they have been working together since opening but didn't mention the other BMW approved body shop.

Good advice on the warranty issue. I spoke to the body shop and asked about any warranty. He just said since it is BMW approved it falls under the normal BMW warranty. Do you think this is good enough???
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
Quote is $4400.00. They are replacing the bumper, bumper re-bar, and part of the exhaust. They are fixing part of the rear panel (expained to me as 'where the spare would normally go'). Hope it works out OK!

Parkview set me up with Excellence Auto (near 401 and Kipling). The service consultant said they have been working together since opening but didn't mention the other BMW approved body shop.

Good advice on the warranty issue. I spoke to the body shop and asked about any warranty. He just said since it is BMW approved it falls under the normal BMW warranty. Do you think this is good enough???
It's up to your insurance company isn't it? Maybe I'm confused by why didn't you ask your insurance company their preferred shop rather than BMW's?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
jps
Private
Canada
Rep

How it went down...

I had a previously scheduled appointment for Tuesday morning at Parkview for the Engine Light being on. My plan was to drop my car off, grab a loaner, and return to the dealer Wednesday night.

However...on Monday morning, exactly 24 hrs before, I was rear ended. I drove to work, worked, and then drove to the Vehicle Collision Reporting Centre to report the accident.

When I arrived at the dealership for my pre-scheduled service appointment the next morning I asked them if they could also do an estimate. Their bodyshop guy was coming in that day so he took it to his shop and arranged for a 328 rental to be dropped off at my place and they picked up the loaner.

It wasn't even until Friday that I got talking to my insurance company and when everything had already been taken care of by the bodyshop Parkview set me up with I just left it at that. A different body shop did contact me that was attached to my insurance company but I just said everything was already taken care of.

Hopefully everything works out OK. I have no reason to not trust Parkview. I hope the positive feedback I have heard about their service is true and that they wouldn't steer me wrong.
Appreciate 0