BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-04-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

Best Place for Accessories

Hi,

I recently travelled to the US and Mexico and called local dealers to try to get some parts for my 135i (pedals, mud flaps, etc), but nobody had anything in stock and I didn't have enough time to wait for special orders to come in.

Any idea what the best place to get accessories is in Canada? bmw.ca doesn't seem to show much for the 1, compared to bmwusa.com. I wonder if our dealers will bring anything made by BMW for you; that would be the best deal even if it's a bit more expensive than in the US.

Let me know if you have any experience with this.

P.S. I really want mud flaps right now, all that ice/snow/grime on my paint right behind my wheels is driving me crazy...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

You are going to pay through the nose at most dealers in Canada. There seens to be an unwritten rule amongst all the dealers not to compete on price. For example, one dealer in Vancouver quoted me over $300 for the BMW performance pedal/deadpedal set. They are available on line for less than half of that from the US. When I pointed that out to the parts manager, he told me that there is almost no profit margin in accessories so he couldn't offer any discount to me.

If it is for something you can wait a few weeks for - check out United BMW; getbmwparts.com; bavauto.com.

The mudflaps are listed on both United BMW http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=215011 and Getbmwparts.com

Check with the seller to make sure they can use USPS Mail to Canada as you don't want to pay Fedex or UPS brokerage charges on smaller items.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Mic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i Cashmere silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
....... he told me that there is almost no profit margin in accessories so he couldn't offer any discount to me.

:bs: unless "almost" mean something between 40 and 55%
      01-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
RootCanal05
Clutch Rider
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
:bs: unless "almost" mean something between 40 and 55%
Agreed!
      01-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
RootCanal05
Clutch Rider
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post

P.S. I really want mud flaps right now, all that ice/snow/grime on my paint right behind my wheels is driving me crazy...
I had a shop put on a custom 3M clear bra and in some areas he did a double layer. You can't tell it's even there and you still get the great protection without the esthetic distraction of mud flaps on a sporty looking car.
      01-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
Let me know if you have any experience with this.
I just did that...order a set of mud-guards, for the very same reason.

I used Dan at United BMW as they're a forum sponsor. Cheap too, and they ship via US Postal Service, which avoids the massive extra charges that UPS adds for brokerage -- Canada Post is either $5 or $7.50 now and that's even if they decide to ding you as you can get freebies through them (well, actually, it's the Revenue Canada inspectors).

But, for local purchases, if you're a member of the Northern Alberta BMW Club, you do receive parts and labour discounts at the two dealers as well as other discounts. Check it out (via link in my sig). Nice to find another 135i owner in Edmonton on the board.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
I just did that...order a set of mud-guards, for the very same reason.

-- Canada Post is either $5 or $7.50 now and that's even if they decide to ding you as you can get freebies through them (well, actually, it's the Revenue Canada inspectors).
I find most items under $100 will get through the mail without Canada Revenue Agency requesting GST and PST. It's even better if you can get the shipper to tick the box that says 'Gift' - but of course most commercial organizations can't do that.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
ZIPNBYE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
You're right.

It's interesting, in that I have, over the years, through fleaBay, car-related parts, and other interests, imported many items. Those that do arrive through the mail either enter via Vancouver, Calgary, or points east (Toronto?) depending if they're arriving via east-Asia, the US, or Europe respectively.

I find time and again that items entering via Vancouver or to the east are never touched, yet anything going through Calgary gets picked apart with a microscope. There are a lot of puritans working for RCA in Calgary...not allowing for anybody to have any fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It's even better if you walk them in. I regularly have things mailed via USPS to Blaine WA. It is a short walk to the Blaine WA Mailbox store from the Pacific Border Crossing. So I pick up a few things at the Cost Cutters, and my package and walk back across the border. It takes about an hour, on a nice day and it's a pleasant walk. I look at all the people waiting in 45 minute line ups southbound. I never get questioned or charged taxes coming back across by foot. I think they think I must be poor to be walking. I park two blocks away, and head home with my tax free package (in much less time than it would take to get mailed cross border btw).

On a perfect Saturday, I organize a golf game with some buddies at nearby Peace Portal GC and time it right so I can get 18 in after my package pickup! Of course, not so much this time of year.....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #10
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Thanks for the reference guys! :smile: However that particular parts manager isn't too far off on profit margins. At full list price it's about 17% profit after everything is said and done
      01-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
ZIPNBYE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
It's similar to what I go through with Mazda parts...Mazda Canada chooses to make more profit off parts than Mazda USA. I'm sure that BMW Canada and BMW USA are similar...so, the dealerships aren't making any more...the importer is.

I buy most of the parts / accessories for my MX-5 from the US and I don't see the 135i being any different.

Dan's already my new best source!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

thanks for all the info guys!

and I have been off the board for a bit because of excess work and then holidays...

also, I can "afford" mud flaps because my car is black... I would not recommend them on say, alpine white...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
ZIPNBYE
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Don't forget to check out the Northern Alberta BMW Club.
Appreciate 0