BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
EarlArlington
Private
Rep
Drives:

Factory audio

Is the factory audio system really that bad? I just got my car two days ago and I have to say I am pleasently surprised :biggrin:. Does any else agree or do all you guys hate the set up?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Temple
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Yes the stock system is one of the worst I have ever had in any of my new cars. Highs are lame and bass is anemic at best. I also notice a fair amount of distortion which I think is due to the low powered amp. For sure need an upgrade but some people may not hear the difference just like some people think that Mcdonalds is good food
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 03:11 AM   #3
Cris
What's FWD?
Rep
Drives: Former E82, current E39

Considering I've been in a '92 525i with a stock Business RDS stereo, the stocker on the 135i would definitely be an upgrade for me!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 03:16 AM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlArlington View Post
Is the factory audio system really that bad? I just got my car two days ago and I have to say I am pleasently surprised :biggrin:. Does any else agree or do all you guys hate the set up?
I also was pleasanly surprised. After adjusting the bass and treble gains, I find the stock system (BMW Professional and 10 speakers) to be quite a good listen. Each to his or her own, but I see no need to upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Its all related to what you have had in the past. I have had multiple $1000+ amplifiers, so yes, this system really sucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
hbiscuit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

i have the premium sound system and i think it sounds fantastic.

this is my first car in years that hasn't had an aftermarket stereo in it.

my last vehicle had rainbow cs265 6.5" front components being driven off a 300/4, and a 12" IDMAX in the rear powered by a jl 500/1.

i'm pleased w/ the stock premium system.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
ARES45
Major
Rep
Drives:

I had a 95' Buick regal with better stock sound than this, so I am very dissapointed. I didn't get the premium system as I ordered before the details were out for the premium sys.
      10-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

I wish I had the premium system with the stronger amp. The oem is almost tolerable to me, a tad more power would have nailed it. On my last car I tried amps like McIntosh, TRU, Sinfoni, etc, along with a few sets of $400+ higher end front components. I suppose nothing will match that in my eyes. Gets old though, ripping apart your car for systems. Since I'm leasing, I have no choice anyway. That is, until Bavarian Soundworks comes out with their direct plug in amp upgrade in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

I have been an audio buff for many many years and have owned and currently own a high end audio (surround sound) system at home. I have the stock audio system and I think it sounds just fine as I don't expect or want to listen to my car stereo at the same levels that I listen in my home. The stock speakers are clear and, as one poster above indicated, the sound can be improved quite a bit just by boosting the treble and bass with the tone controls. Yes, I have heard factory and custom car systems that sounded quite a bit better, but most of them cost a lot of money more than the stock "free" system in my car. Also, you must consider what kind of music you are playing and what the source is. I listen mostly to jazz instrumentals which I think is a good test for an audio system and again, it sounds clear and lifelike a reasonable levels. I don't want to listen at 110 db in my car, but some may want to do that. I want to be able to hear traffic, horns, etc. and other warnings.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #10
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
I have been an audio buff for many many years and have owned and currently own a high end audio (surround sound) system at home. I have the stock audio system and I think it sounds just fine as I don't expect or want to listen to my car stereo at the same levels that I listen in my home. The stock speakers are clear and, as one poster above indicated, the sound can be improved quite a bit just by boosting the treble and bass with the tone controls. Yes, I have heard factory and custom car systems that sounded quite a bit better, but most of them cost a lot of money more than the stock "free" system in my car. Also, you must consider what kind of music you are playing and what the source is. I listen mostly to jazz instrumentals which I think is a good test for an audio system and again, it sounds clear and lifelike a reasonable levels. I don't want to listen at 110 db in my car, but some may want to do that. I want to be able to hear traffic, horns, etc. and other warnings.
wouldn't an amp with more power sound better even at lower sound levels?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
Temple
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do you have any more info on the BSW PnP amp? I wonder what the cost will be and what the output will be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannypoffo View Post
I wish I had the premium system with the stronger amp. The oem is almost tolerable to me, a tad more power would have nailed it. On my last car I tried amps like McIntosh, TRU, Sinfoni, etc, along with a few sets of $400+ higher end front components. I suppose nothing will match that in my eyes. Gets old though, ripping apart your car for systems. Since I'm leasing, I have no choice anyway. That is, until Bavarian Soundworks comes out with their direct plug in amp upgrade in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple View Post
Do you have any more info on the BSW PnP amp? I wonder what the cost will be and what the output will be...
On the BSW site it says they are working on a stage 1 for the 1er, which usually means just speakers. they have a price, its $700. for the 3er it says they are also working on a stage 1, but it also says they are working on a subwoofer for the 3er. That subwoofer comes with an amp. There is nothing about an amp for the 1er.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
Temple
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Do you have the premium or low end stereo? If you are an audio buff as you say then I must be missing something here. My stock non premium system sounds like crap. I...like you have a home system in the 10K price range so I do know what good audio sounds like. As I said above my system has harsh high freq and mids are pushed way forward and the bass is anemic. The premium system to me sounds pretty good and is something that I could live with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

I emailed BSW already weeks ago. They'll have a stage 2 for 1er at some point, but probably gonna be a long wait. He wouldn't give any more info than that. If a minor speaker upgrade is $700, I bet the amp upgrade is $1200.. maybe it comes with speakers though.. hell i'd do it if it was plug and play.. cuz i could take it out when my lease is over and sell it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
Temple
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I am also still trying to find a way to get the OEM upgraded 300w amp for less than and arm and a leg. Wonder if the in place harness will work with the upgraded amp?

Quote:
I emailed BSW already weeks ago. They'll have a stage 2 for 1er at some point, but probably gonna be a long wait. He wouldn't give any more info than that. If a minor speaker upgrade is $700, I bet the amp upgrade is $1200.. maybe it comes with speakers though.. hell i'd do it if it was plug and play.. cuz i could take it out when my lease is over and sell it.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #16
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As I said above my system has harsh high freq and mids are pushed way forward and the bass is anemic. The
LOL exactly... and half the people here advise to bump up the treble... First thing I did with my somewhat trained ear is turn down the treble to ease the harshness.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #17
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am also still trying to find a way to get the OEM upgraded 300w amp for less than and arm and a leg. Wonder if the in place harness will work with the upgraded amp?
The oem upgraded amp? yes its plug and play. and you add the fiber cables which are bundled up back there. but who knows if your head unit will accept it without a firmware reflash. After pricing the oem premium amp at $1200 I wasnt about to buy it just to find out.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #18
Temple
Second Lieutenant
Rep

At $500 I might do it but even that seems pretty high priced for just an OEM 300W amp...1200 is just nuts
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #19
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

I'd pay $500 in a second. But we'll have to wait for a used one in the classifieds, then we can have a bidding war. But if it doesnt even work... what a waste of $500..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #20
europlane
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
LOL exactly... and half the people here advise to bump up the treble... First thing I did with my somewhat trained ear is turn down the treble to ease the harshness.
Same with me. Or treble at zero at most. Had mb quarts ,and diamond audio with ppi amp before in my previous car. With the 1, at first in my euro delivery trip this summer I didn't like the sound at all. Didn't take cds and only listened to the radio in Europe. Back in NYC with HD radio and CDs I'm liking it a lot.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by europlane View Post
Same with me. Or treble at zero at most. Had mb quarts ,and diamond audio with ppi amp before in my previous car. With the 1, at first in my euro delivery trip this summer I didn't like the sound at all. Didn't take cds and only listened to the radio in Europe. Back in NYC with HD radio and CDs I'm liking it a lot.
damn you fixed your mistake... i was gonna comment..

i found my SIRIUS radio sounds pretty good on it, but CD's dont sound quite as good. I think CDs show more of the defects in the system.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #22
04Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Cpe

It must be the type of music people listen to. I was not expecting anything great from the standard radio after reading all the postings on this forum.

But I too was very surprised how good the standard radio sounded. My mp3 CD's sound fantastic. And I am coming from an Acura TL with the DVD audio sound system.
Appreciate 0