BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Comparison Report: BMW 135i vs Chevy Aveo

So I'm the fool that Hertz decided to schluff the Chevy Aveo off on and I thought, "Hey, there's a legit comparison to the 1er." So without further ado, here goes nothing:

Exterior

The 135i Coupe spent some time in gestation at the fabled BMW design studios. The brightest available worked to transform what many consider an ungainly hatch into a stunning coupe. The long hood and stubby trunk, flowing C-pillar and signature Hofmeister kink accent the design as do the BMW twin-kidney grilles. An almost nautical motif can be see in the shoulder-line that runs from the front through the rear deck. In addtion, the black chrome dual tip exhaust is just one piece of jewelry to be found on the 135i.

The Aveo has four doors, a trunk, what appears to be an engine bay, and a spoiler. The spoiler's KEWL. But I couldn't see the exhaust pipe (and getting my trousers dirty to crawl under the dam thing to check is outta the question).

Interior

The 135i is pieced together with soft touch plastics and leather. While appearing spartan (Germanic?), it offers elegant refinement that is rarely seen in a car this size.

The Aveo has an interior. Oh but they have cloth seats (and it ain't an option either).

Engine

The 135i sports the much praised N54 twin-turbocharged inline 6 cylinder engine. A 183 cubic inch powerhouse, the N54 propels the 135i from naught to sixty in under five seconds.

The Aveo has something under it's hood. It shakes a lot at idle. It'll do naught to sixty in less time than it takes the big hand on the watch to go around once. (Hey sixty in less than sixty - kinda catchy.)

Handling

The 135i is impressive in it's ability to stick and yet return a comfortable ride. A well tuned spring/damper set is very sutiable for relaxed grand touring as well as occasional track duty. Options exist for the enthusiast to upgrade the suspension to meet their individual needs.

The Aveo is equally impressive in it's inability to stick and yet return an uncomfortable ride.

Steering Feel

While this is a subject of much debate on such 135i sites as this one; the 135i does return decent steering feel given the nature of its run-flat tires.

The Aveo has a direct connection between the steering wheel and that thing that shakes under the hood. Idling at a stoplight the steering column shakes more than my Lawnboy push mower running a bit shy on oil.

Pros/Cons

The 135i offers the enthusiast a powerful, comfortable, grand touring experience for two (and in a pinch four). It's supurb styling, drivetrain, and interior appointments are beyond entry-level luxury. That said, some consider the rear seats unusable and the price of entry into the BMW brand family is higher than some had hoped.

The Aveo has four tires and it does get up to speed, eventually. Oh and did I mention it's cheap? (pro) And did I mention it's cheap? (con).

Conclusion

In summary, for the last few years I truly believed that terrible cars were no longer being built. The Aveo may puncture that myth. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
oneaabe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

very well written !

Timeline: Ordered (got prod. #): April 12 '08; Scheduled for production: July 10 '08; DoB: July 18 '08; ED Pickup: 1st Aug '08; ED Dropoff: 4th Aug '08; Arrived at Port Hueneme: 5th Oct '08; At VPC: 10th Oct '08; Pickup at local dealer: 14th Oct'08;
Current Status:
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

^^^

ROFL! That was good for a laugh.
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
topvega
Kinda sorta banned on N54
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM JB3

Very nice review... I was considering trading in my 135 for an Aveo and spending the difference on booze and hookers but now I will hold off on that....

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
OzF16
BMF
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topvega View Post
Very nice review... I was considering trading in my 135 for an Aveo and spending the difference on booze and hookers but now I will hold off on that....
I spend 80% of my money on booze and hookers. The rest I squander.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

^ ROTFLMAO!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Congratulations! You are now qualified to write for The Truth About Cars! Please consider making the Aveo the winner of your comparison just to "spice things up a bit."

Yours,
Editor, TTAC
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Duckw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, 2010 VW Sportwagen

Reading between the lines, Hugo, I sense you weren't all that keen on the Aveo. I have to rent a car in Charleston, SC, later this week. If they offer me an Aveo, I'll turn it down at once. The last Ford Focus I rented, while it certainly isn't a substitute for the 135, was at least tolerable. I'm way too cheap to rent a Jag just to look cool at a wedding.
      06-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
DeathfromAbove
Rep
Drives:

I had a four door Aveo hatch as a rental car a couple months back. Piece of trash.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #10
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

The Focus beats the Aveo hands down. Funny thing is I'd driven an Aveo before and didn't feel it was that bad - but it was brand new. The rental I have has 17K on it and it is the proverbial POS.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
ruffstik
Pirate
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 G87 - on the list

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.50]
that was a good read! lol
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
professor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

funny!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
runNgun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Thank you for the review and laughs Hugo!

And topvega and OzF16's comments made me laugh out loud! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #14
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

this makes me want to go buy an Aveo...NOT
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
hitthemark41
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

well played sir!

2008 (Year 1 of the One ) 135i
Black Sapphire Metallic/Savanna Beige/
Gray Poplar/6MT/Sports & Premium pkgs/CA/Heated Seats/HD/PDC
Mods:35% tint / clear bra / Perf. pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:46 PM   #16
The Chad
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

Don't knock the Aveo. I mean, just take this for example.

The Chevy Aveo is faster at 75mph than the 135i is at 60mph. :-D
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #17
HardTech
Rep
Drives:

I wouldn’t knock the little Aveo, he gets a good laugh at the pump ya know it. They have been know to get 56 mpg on the highway.

Now how you people end up with Aveo's at a car rental place I will never know, you must be short or something. About the smallest car I have been in from a rental was a Jag type X. Normally end up in a Olds-mobile or a Buick. I’ve told them to quit giving me SUV's and HD trucks :/

I would take an Aveo, it may prolong my life longer than my current 330. Because my current car is going to kill me trying to keep it clean and taking care of it (if it squeaks or rattles it gets taken care of in 24 hours or less. All maintenance schedules are done regardless of where it falls, even if that’s a 3am oil change). My neighbors think I have OCD now
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #18
DeathfromAbove
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardTech;169977
[COLOR=black
Now how you people end up with Aveo's at a car rental place I will never know, you must be short or something. About the smallest car I have been in from a rental was a Jag type X. Normally end up in a Olds-mobile or a Buick. I’ve told them to quit giving me SUV's and HD trucks :/[/COLOR]
It's called a corporate travel agency. And I don't know how you're getting HD trucks and Oldsmobiles as rentals, considering the last new Oldsmobile was built in 2003.

I've got Gold status with Hertz which means I usually get upgraded for free anyway but, sometimes, you get an Aveo or similar.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #19
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
That's it... i'm selling the 1er
      06-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #20
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Oh great, now you're gonna start a flame war with all of the Aveo enthusiasts - well as soon as he gets a computer.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #21
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
So I'm the fool that Hertz decided to schluff the Chevy Aveo off on and I thought, "Hey, there's a legit comparison to the 1er." So without further ado, here goes nothing:

Exterior

The 135i Coupe spent some time in gestation at the fabled BMW design studios. The brightest available worked to transform what many consider an ungainly hatch into a stunning coupe. The long hood and stubby trunk, flowing C-pillar and signature Hofmeister kink accent the design as do the BMW twin-kidney grilles. An almost nautical motif can be see in the shoulder-line that runs from the front through the rear deck. In addtion, the black chrome dual tip exhaust is just one piece of jewelry to be found on the 135i.

The Aveo has four doors, a trunk, what appears to be an engine bay, and a spoiler. The spoiler's KEWL. But I couldn't see the exhaust pipe (and getting my trousers dirty to crawl under the dam thing to check is outta the question).

Interior

The 135i is pieced together with soft touch plastics and leather. While appearing spartan (Germanic?), it offers elegant refinement that is rarely seen in a car this size.

The Aveo has an interior. Oh but they have cloth seats (and it ain't an option either).

Engine

The 135i sports the much praised N54 twin-turbocharged inline 6 cylinder engine. A 183 cubic inch powerhouse, the N54 propels the 135i from naught to sixty in under five seconds.

The Aveo has something under it's hood. It shakes a lot at idle. It'll do naught to sixty in less time than it takes the big hand on the watch to go around once. (Hey sixty in less than sixty - kinda catchy.)

Handling

The 135i is impressive in it's ability to stick and yet return a comfortable ride. A well tuned spring/damper set is very sutiable for relaxed grand touring as well as occasional track duty. Options exist for the enthusiast to upgrade the suspension to meet their individual needs.

The Aveo is equally impressive in it's inability to stick and yet return an uncomfortable ride.

Steering Feel

While this is a subject of much debate on such 135i sites as this one; the 135i does return decent steering feel given the nature of its run-flat tires.

The Aveo has a direct connection between the steering wheel and that thing that shakes under the hood. Idling at a stoplight the steering column shakes more than my Lawnboy push mower running a bit shy on oil.

Pros/Cons

The 135i offers the enthusiast a powerful, comfortable, grand touring experience for two (and in a pinch four). It's supurb styling, drivetrain, and interior appointments are beyond entry-level luxury. That said, some consider the rear seats unusable and the price of entry into the BMW brand family is higher than some had hoped.

The Aveo has four tires and it does get up to speed, eventually. Oh and did I mention it's cheap? (pro) And did I mention it's cheap? (con).

Conclusion

In summary, for the last few years I truly believed that terrible cars were no longer being built. The Aveo may puncture that myth. ; -)
      06-11-2008, 11:44 AM   #22
Genericuser1
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
Congratulations! You are now qualified to write for The Truth About Cars! Please consider making the Aveo the winner of your comparison just to "spice things up a bit."

Yours,
Editor, TTAC
Its soo funny because its so true.
Appreciate 0