BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
MadisonOne
Private
Rep
Drives:

2 Days and 1000 miles: Observations from a 135i Convertible

Just got back to Madison,WI from the PDC in South Carolina. Thought I would share my initial observations. Won't focus on how awesome the car and the PDC are (since it's been repeated many times). Instead just few other observations on my long two day drive home. In no particular order:

•The car and the PDC are awesome!
•I didn't notice any clutch problems with the CDV. Shifted fine to me, maybe later build cars don't have the CDV problem, but who knows. I have the replacement CDV, not sure now if I'm even going to install it.
•Premium stereo is great. Even 80mph top down, loud and clean, great detail in sound.
•Ipod and USB both worked way better than I thought. Scrolling through albums and the initial que up of songs is lightening fast.
•Sun reflective seats work as advertised. 95 degrees for most of the day in the South yesterday.
•I have the windscreen and put it up/down as I was driving. With it down, this car is very calm on the inside, and I was going very fast. Way less wind than my Mini Conv. That said, with the windscreen up drops the wind to Zero inside. Problem is, when I wanted to use it, with high ambient winds (over 40mph in the midwest today) the windscreen would keep blowing down. This is very scary the first time it happens: sounds like someone throwing a rock at your car. I got the windscreen from Dan at United, he shipped it to the Marriott in SC, so it was there waiting for me. I highly recommend him. There may be a way to lock it upright, I just didn't figure that out yet. If you want NO wind in the car, get the windscreen (or the coupe). :smile:
•With high wind, my seatbelt at times really started flapping on my shoulder. My shoulder isn't sore, but it got on my nerves at times. At simple clip to the seat would have fixed that, but there is none.
•No matter how I adjusted my seat+steering wheel, I have a hard time seeing the digital odometer and trip distance (very bottom line).
•Can't see the stereo screen with polarized sunglasses, even with severe head tilt it's hard to see. Wonder if there is polarizing film that could be placed over the display?
•Lots of positive feedback from people in different communities. None negative yet.
•If you're going to drive the Cherohala Skyway, there is about 10 miles of sand (yes, like at the beach!) and very loose asphalt coming out of Robbinsville onto the Skyway. Wasn't so happy about that, but the paint doesn't show any ill-affects.
•I have comfort access. The top can be put up&down by holding the lock/unlock buttons on the key fob.
•No NAV, no extra cupholder.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. It was a memorable road trip back. This car is just like all the good stuff I read before my delivery yesterday...only better. And yes, pics will be coming, but it looks like all the other that are BSM with Coral Red 135i Convertibles.
      06-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

awesome. glad you had a good trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
HemisphereDancer
Private
Rep
Drives:

Awesome post!

There is a fix for the radio with polarized sunglasses. Search on the thread since I don't have the link handy. It is pretty much getting a sheet of transparency paper, turning it to give you visibility and then cutting it to match the radio display and fixing it (not sure with what).

Ordered: 4/23/08 / Received: 6/21/08
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Gratz on the Vert and welcome to the family! My windscreen is at my house waiting for me now! <wife wanted it, lol>
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Great post. We're doing a PC delivery in August then taking an extended road trip out to New Mexico before returning to western NY. Does the PC provide transit plates? We can't officially transfer our existing registration / plates to the 135 until we return to NY and get an inspection sticker.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
MadisonOne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlico View Post
Great post. We're doing a PC delivery in August then taking an extended road trip out to New Mexico before returning to western NY. Does the PC provide transit plates? We can't officially transfer our existing registration / plates to the 135 until we return to NY and get an inspection sticker.
I would talk to your dealer about transfer plates, I brought my plate with me from my old car.
      06-06-2008, 08:07 PM   #7
WaFu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135iA

Congrats!!! A new addition 1er in Madison!
      06-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
WaFu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135iA

How is the driving session in PDC?
      06-06-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Thank you so much for that wonderful post.

I'm going to consider a visit to a really cool auto upholstery guy that I know. We will consider attaching a matching "looped strap" to the seat which will allow the seatbelt to be held against the seat to prevent flapping, and to be released when desired. Easy fix, if it needs it.

A small brace can easily fix the windscreen, if it needs it. My Porsche windscreen has never folded from high speed turbulence, well over 100 mph. So, I know that it is possible to build one that doesn't fold when it shouldn't.

Anyway, great color combo on a great Convertible!!
      06-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #10
wikidpete
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Vert

MadisonOne - Great write up.. thanks for the details...

TagMan - Keep us updated on that gizmo.. sounds like a good fix and clean install..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
I'm going to consider a visit to a really cool auto upholstery guy that I know. We will consider attaching a matching "looped strap" to the seat which will allow the seatbelt to be held against the seat to prevent flapping, and to be released when desired. Easy fix, if it needs it.
      06-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
MadisonOne
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the comments! Endless that was funny at the PDC, I heard Don yell at you for going too fast during the braking part...

One more observation: any reviewer who says the suspension on the car is rough is absolutely wrong, or has only driven Cadillacs. This suspension is tight but not jarring. Especially that review in the NYTimes about they need to fix the suspension...I can't believe how good the ride is.
      06-07-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonOne View Post
One more observation: any reviewer who says the suspension on the car is rough is absolutely wrong, or has only driven Cadillacs. This suspension is tight but not jarring. Especially that review in the NYTimes about they need to fix the suspension...I can't believe how good the ride is.
There was a similar review in the Washington Post a few days ago about driving the 135i in New York city. As the bulk of the article was an indictment of the potholes, it sounds like the best car for NYC would be a Citroen or Renault from the 70's. And of course, reviews like this really don't enlighten one about the BMW's suspension.
Tom
Appreciate 0