BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

*****UPDATE*****

Ok, here's the deal. ALL VERT OWNERS NEED TO READ THIS!

After taking my 135i Vert in today the following was discovered. When raising the windows with the top up or down you have to do one of two things:

1.) Read page 28 of your manual. Trust me. or...

2.) You HAVE to either raise the back windows individually FIRST BEFORE THE FRONT WINDOWS or...

3.) Use the Big "raise all windows now" button on your drivers side door.

Long story short is when you raise the front windows first...and then try to raise the back windows it can cause a misalignment <the alignment bar is ON THE BACK WINDOW> which actually pops the front window actuator out of place. That is EXACTLY what happened to mine. I was driving down the street and I thought I would decrease a little wind noise while chatting on the phone so I raise the two front windows. I was still having some wind noise so I raised the back two windows and ....POP. The front right window was thrown off.

Interestingly enough my BMW dealership was unaware of this problem or the fix, yet by great luck there was a master tech from BMW North America there in the service dept who walked over and IMMEDIATELY told the tech's what was wrong, how it happened and how to fix it. He did say it could happen again if the back windows are rolled up AFTER the front. This is a design issue BMW figured out after the fact which is why they specifically address it in the manual...on page 28 LOL. If you roll up the windows in the right sequence or use the "Roll all windows up now" button there should never be an issue with it. Interestingly enough when you use the big roll everything up now button, sure enough the two back windows start to roll up first providing the guide for the fronts. Just a heads up!!!
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

ALL Vert OWNERS need to read this...128i and 135i.....

Specifically the ***UPDATE*** and prevention of the problem a few posts down....Very important.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10573
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Katera - to save some time - I copied your fix post into this thread. This information is very helpful BTW. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

:iono:WTF! Do I understand that if the top is up and there are rear passengers, they are forbidden to have their windows up, unless the front passengers also want their windows up first?
      06-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
:iono:WTF! Do I understand that if the top is up and there are rear passengers, they are forbidden to have their windows up, unless the front passengers also want their windows up first?
The rears just have to be up before the fronts, or all at the same time. Just wondering though, could you raise just your fronts, but just remember to lower them, then raise the rears and fronts together when you get out?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLS View Post
The rears just have to be up before the fronts, or all at the same time. Just wondering though, could you raise just your fronts, but just remember to lower them, then raise the rears and fronts together when you get out?

You could....the problem here is really one thing. You can NOT roll up the back windows *IF* the fronts are already up. All other scenarios are fine, but if the front windows are up and the back down, do NOT try and roll up the backs...they will smack the fronts and knock the front out of alignment.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

So... If the front passenger has the window up, and the rear passenger decided to do the same thing... It's not OK??? What's to stop the rear passenger? Do rear passengers have their own window switch? If so, it's even more dangerous!!!

This sucks!!! I'm pissed at this dysfunctional BS.

Anyway, thanks for all your help with this... you're awesome. So... do you know the answers to the questions above?
      06-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
So... If the front passenger has the window up, and the rear passenger decided to do the same thing... It's not OK??? What's to stop the rear passenger? Do rear passengers have their own window switch? If so, it's even more dangerous!!!

This sucks!!! I'm pissed at this dysfunctional BS.

Anyway, can you answer my questions, please?

There is no switch back there <great for kids> :biggrin:. The only one that can roll up the back windows is the driver, but yes if the fronts are up you have to lower them first before you roll up the backs. The quick way is to hit the big "roll everything down" switch and then hit it again to roll everything up in the right sequence. If you want to do it individually then you have to roll the front down, raise the back and then raise the front again. Since BMW has a 1 click up and 1 click down for the front windows it is not a big deal. You just have to be aware to not roll up the backs while the fronts are up or the guide on the back windows can catch and knock the front window out of alignment...which is exactly what happened to me. Thankfully, it seems to be fixed.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

OK, so the big "roll all windows" switch is the secret. Where is this button? What does it look like? How soon could you post a pic?

I never had any reason to concern myself with any of this, so pardon all my questions.

Truth is... if this thing weren't a simple procedure, I'd pass on the 'vert altogether.

Betcha a future model gets the fix, and we live with the '08 "'vert window issue".
      06-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Omega Man
Rep
Drives:

Yeesh. Not good. Katera, thank you for this information. Your car is like the ultimate convertible set up, BTW. Did you say you blacked out the grill?
The black and red andrenaline rush has finally made it home from Sebastian Olszewski and the group at Mike Smith Beaumont. Got it right before the big storm hit, as in 36 hours before. So lucky. Anyway, these folks are a great dealership to do business with.
Ordered June 2008
ED July 2008
Stateside delivery September 2008
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 05:44 PM   #11
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
OK, so the big "roll all windows" switch is the secret. Where is this button? What does it look like? How soon could you post a pic?

I never had any reason to concern myself with any of this, so pardon all my questions.

Truth is... if this thing weren't a simple procedure, I'd pass on the 'vert altogether.

Heh, I would never pass on this Vert over this. First of all the fix was pretty quick at the dealer. Secondly, it will never happen again now that I know. 3rd, other then this one little idiosyncrasy it is an amazing Vert. Quiet at high speed, good looking moonlit top, quick to drop and put up even going 25mph? This is small potatoes but you just need to know about then..meh. No biggie :biggrin:

Ok look at this picture of my car. On the left door are all the window switches. Literally *just* cut off in the pic at the bottom of the other switches is the big up and down switch which controls all windows. Really no big deal.

http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02404ca2.jpg
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Heh, I would never pass on this Vert over this. First of all the fix was pretty quick at the dealer. Secondly, it will never happen again now that I know. 3rd, other then this one little idiosyncrasy it is an amazing Vert. Quiet at high speed, good looking moonlit top, quick to drop and put up even going 25mph? This is small potatoes but you just need to know about then..meh. No biggie :biggrin:

Ok look at this picture of my car. On the left door are all the window switches. Literally *just* cut off in the pic at the bottom of the other switches is the big up and down switch which controls all windows. Really no big deal.

http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02404ca2.jpg
Thanks... it's all good.
      06-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
RobLS
Major
Rep

lovely picture in the link :smile:
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #14
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLS View Post
lovely picture in the link :smile:

Then you will like these, Bam! Hehehe,

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10316
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 05:59 PM   #15
RobLS
Major
Rep

Hehe yeah, it just makes me a little more satisfied that I'm getting my D300 before the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

I always use the master window switch. What good is rolling up/down only one of the windows in a cabrio? It's all or nothing IMHO. The master swich = :headbang:

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:45 AM   #17
AlexPT
Rep
Drives:

Thanks Katera. Really appreciated! I'm getting my vert next week and I'M 100% SURE I would have fucked up the alignment within minutes just cos I'd be playing around with the switches, you know.. all windows up, then down, the top 10 times up and down, front windows maybe down again and then all the way up, oh I forgot the back windows, let's bring them up....and then POP! Kaput! :P
      06-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #18
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep

I think the master button which globally raises and lowers all windows in their proper sequence is very helpful here.

The real-life scenario for me is that when my kids are in the back... they will want the window down, then shortly back up, then down again, and back up again. Not an unreasonable number of times, but more than adults would want... heck, they're kids!

So, my wife will have her window up if her hair isn't clipped together, which it ever is. My kids will want their window down, which is no problem, But then they might ask for their rear windows to be put up when the vehicle speed has reached a point where it is getting too blustery in the cabin. This is where the dysfunction is. At that point I've got to lower the wife's window (or all windows!) and momentarily blast her with the wind before I can close the rear window.

OK, not the end of the world... but it is a glitch, that's for sure.
      06-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #19
RickR
Private
Rep
Drives:

I love my vert, but I have to say the required roll-up window sequencing is a design flaw that BMW should address. It is unrealistic to expect everyone who drives the car to know and execute the proper sequence.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 09:48 AM   #20
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

I expect this to be something they could solve with a software update.

They already have the windows on the coupe roll down slightly every time you open the door and then roll up again when the door is closed. There's no reason they couldn't add this functionality to rolling up the rear windows of the 'vert. How far do the front windows need to go down? If its only slightly then this would be my first guess at a fix. If it's all the way then this would be a bit cumbersome.

Another alternative would be for the software to disallow the rear windows to be lowered without the front and force the rear windows to go up with the fronts. You'd still have the ability to open the fronts while leaving the back windows closed but you wouldn't be able to enter this configuration that will pop the windows out of place.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #21
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
I expect this to be something they could solve with a software update.

They already have the windows on the coupe roll down slightly every time you open the door and then roll up again when the door is closed. There's no reason they couldn't add this functionality to rolling up the rear windows of the 'vert. How far do the front windows need to go down? If its only slightly then this would be my first guess at a fix. If it's all the way then this would be a bit cumbersome.

Another alternative would be for the software to disallow the rear windows to be lowered without the front and force the rear windows to go up with the fronts. You'd still have the ability to open the fronts while leaving the back windows closed but you wouldn't be able to enter this configuration that will pop the windows out of place.

The only good a software upgrade would provide is disabling rolling up the back windows while the front are already up. That honestly, SHOULD be in there instead of leaving it to the owner to accidentally screw it up like I did.

Again, just so everyone knows...the only thing that will mess it up is if you have the FRONT windows up with the back down...and you try to roll the back up while the front's are still up. The guide is on the back window, will catch the front and throw the front off.

As an update though, they seemed to fix my front window without issue as it works fine now. It should never happen again :wink:
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]