BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

BMW USA Press Release - Diesel Models Announced - X5 and 335d

BMW X5 xDrive35d AND BMW 335d TO MAKE US DEBUT
BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance.
Performance + Outstanding Efficiency

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - January 2, 2008... Entering a new era in the company’s mission to deliver ultimate driving machines that combine superior performance with exemplary fuel economy, the BMW Group will debut two vehicle models equipped with the BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance at the 2008 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit – the X5 xDrive35d and the 335d.

Successfully meeting the strict exhaust emissions requirements of the North American automobile market, BMW Advanced Diesel – slated to hit US roadways in late 2008 – will be available in all 50 states. The wide availability of these vehicles marks a significant milestone in the BMW EfficientDynamics strategy, which seeks to offer customers in automobile markets around the world maximum driving pleasure with minimum fuel consumption and emissions.

BMW Advanced Diesel technology is being introduced into the US market in the form of the 3.0-liter inline-six featuring Variable Twin Turbo Technology – an engine widely acknowledged as the unchallenged benchmark for sporting performance, motoring refinement and superior efficiency in other markets around the world. At the 2008 NAIAS, BMW is presenting this 265-hp high-performance diesel engine in both the BMW X5 xDrive35d and the BMW 335d. To ensure full compliance with the demanding emission standards in California and other US states, BMW uses SCR technology to reduce nitric oxides (NOX), enabling nationwide introduction of BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance as a 50-state model (BIN5).

Leading the way:

BMW diesel competence for the US.

The history of BMW diesel engines began in 1983 when the BMW 524td was introduced as the fastest diesel in the world. From that starting point, BMW has spent 25 years continuously developing diesel technology. Today’s BMW Diesels are characterized by dramatically improved power and performance, fuel consumption and emissions levels – reflecting the principle of BMW EfficientDynamics in every respect.

Through their superior motoring refinement alone, BMW diesel engines have helped to significantly eliminate any reservations regarding the acoustic properties of a diesel engine. Indeed, great demand for BMW diesel engines has helped BMW achieve increased market share not just in Europe, but in regions across the world. Today no less than 67 percent of all new BMWs delivered to customers in Europe are powered by a diesel engine.

While diesel engines of today represent an impressive standard for fuel efficiency and emissions on the whole, BMW Advanced Diesel engines take this a step further, setting the standard for torque and pulling power that could never be achieved by a similar displacement gasoline engine – while consuming 25 percent less fuel on average than an equally powerful gasoline engine.

New generation of diesel technology:

Maximum dynamism, minimum emissions.

Maximum power, supreme efficiency: The first BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance is particularly well-suited to combine the driving dynamics and motoring refinement of a premium automobile with the most current and demanding standards for preserving resources and reducing emissions. Featuring exceptional power and torque, the 3.0 liter inline-six diesel is one of the most fuel-efficient and economical engines in its class.

Applying Variable Twin Turbo Technology, a small turbocharger first cuts in at low engine speeds. Thanks to its low inertia, this turbocharger develops boost (and extra power) in response to even the smallest movement to the gas pedal and without the slightest delay. As engine speed increases, the second, larger turbocharger cuts in, developing maximum torque of 425 lb-ft at just 1,750 rpm. Interaction of the two turbochargers is controlled by the particularly efficient, high-performance electronic engine control unit.

In addition to the above Variable Twin Turbo Technology, new technical highlights of BMW Advanced Diesel – presented for the first time in 2007 – include an aluminum crankcase and third-generation common-rail direct fuel injection. Featuring precision-quality precise piezo-injectors to deliver the precise dosage of fuel into the combustion chambers with the smallest volume of pre-injection, the third generation system ensures a particularly clean injection process with optimized fuel consumption, emissions figures and running smoothness.

Given all of these qualities, BMW’s 3.0-liter diesel with Variable Twin Turbo has won the prestigious International Engine of the Year Award multiple times – more than any other prize or acknowledgement. The engine is featured in a large number of models in Europe and is now expanding its global story of success as the BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance.

At the 2008 NAIAS, the BMW 335d featuring Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance for maximum output of 265 hp and peak torque of 425 lb-ft. will provide a clear and convincing demonstration of these qualities. On the road, this means acceleration from 0–62 mph in 6.2 seconds and average fuel economy of 23/33 mpg (city/highway, provisional data).

The BMW X5 xDrive35d, will also debut in Detroit. Like the 335d, the X5 xDrive35d offers sporting character through BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance, while standing out as a high-torque Sports Activity Vehicle with excellent qualities for long-distance motoring. The BMW X5 xDrive35d accelerates from 0–62 mph in just 7.2 seconds and offers average fuel economy of at least 19/25 mpg (city/highway, provisional data).

Non-partisan study in the USA:

BMW ranks No 1 in the reduction of CO2 emissions.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

I've got mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it shows that BMW is willing to give diesels a try in the US. On the other hand, neither of these are the diesels I want, so it doesn't help me. Even worse, if they aren't successful, then BMW most likely will not bring in the 123d that I really want.

I'm going to assume that the 23/33 mpg is using the new EPA standard, where the rest of the 3-series line is between 16/25 mpg and 19/28 mpg using that same standard. That is between a 4-7 mpg increase in the city, and 5-8 mpg highway, depending upon which model you compare it to. Roughly 20-40%? That is pretty good. But 23/33 mpg isn't exactly headline material that gets BMW free press for their great gas mileage.

I'm just not sure BMW understands the new US high-mpg car market. There is now evidence that a good sized share of Prius buyers come from households that makes over $100,000 dollars a year. The same for Jetta TDI's. This is exactly the same market demographic that BMW is competing in. There are plenty of folks who would like to buy Prius/TDI-like fuel efficient cars, but can't bring themselves to buy a car with such poor performance. The 123d could own this corner of the high-fuel efficiency market.

http://www.hybridcars.com/hybrid-dri...d-premium.html

Sales of TDI's/hybrids that only give moderate mpg gains ("performance hybrids") are all going down. Accord hybrid, Lexus hybrid, the Passat diesel are all failing to keep up with the Jetta TDI's, Prius, and Civic hybrids. Both of the models that BMW is introducing fall under into the "performance hybrid" type of car. Decent fuel efficiency, high performance.

There are tons of people with ready cash out there that are just dying to buy high mpg cars. But the MPG has to be impressive, like in the mid-40's or better. These two cars just don't bring that to the table.

Since BMW is already competing with the Prius for sales (buyers with $100,000+ per year incomes), they should get serious and send us a car that has the mpg credentials to compete. That is the 123d. And they should do it and establish market momentum before other car companies take the lead.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I think that the X5 is likely the best choice to get people used to diesel BMWs. I think the 535d might have ben a better second choice than the 335d.

If they had a X3 3.0TDi, then I think it might give the impression that it's a truck (SUV) motor, so I can see why they chose a car and the X5 though...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Nixon
Banned
Rep

I can see where the X5, or the 535d, or even the 335d or X3 could serve as transitional vehicles. And I understand the desire at BMW to hand-hold their customers into diesels like small children just learning to walk. They don't want to scare anyone away.

But at a certain point, I'm looking towards BMW to LEAD instead of just following behind buyers holding their hands as they get used to diesel BMW's.

I'm looking for BMW to be bold leaders in providing high-mpg performance-minded cars like the 123d that can set benchmarks for other companies to follow. BMW is already that kind of leader in Europe, they can do the same here if they decide to. The 335d is a great car, but it doesn't make the kind of bold fuel efficiency statement that the 123d makes.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
gammagoblin
Rep
Drives:

This is obnoxious. The point of bringing these diesels is for economy and the lure of ~50mpg. Instead they insist on squeezing every last bit of power out and it gets barely over 30. I guess it's nice if you were planning on hauling boats with your 335. Looks like TDI is still going to be the only economic new diesel (not sure about the slated accord). And the new TDI will get awesome milage and not be pathetically slow as the MKIV golf TDI was.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammagoblin View Post
This is obnoxious. The point of bringing these diesels is for economy and the lure of ~50mpg. Instead they insist on squeezing every last bit of power out and it gets barely over 30. I guess it's nice if you were planning on hauling boats with your 335. Looks like TDI is still going to be the only economic new diesel (not sure about the slated accord). And the new TDI will get awesome milage and not be pathetically slow as the MKIV golf TDI was.
I would so much more prefer a rear-wheel drive sports/luxury 6.8 second 0-60 BMW, over a stinking front-wheel drive econo-box 8.5 second 0-60 VW.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
gammagoblin
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
I would so much more prefer a rear-wheel drive sports/luxury 6.8 second 0-60 BMW, over a stinking front-wheel drive econo-box 8.5 second 0-60 VW.
Then buy the petrol which will perform better, be more fun to drive, and will end up cheaper, so the savings from an only marginally better fuel economy will be small unless you rack up huge miles. If they brought a 320d/325d/330d over here we'd have a winner.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

What also sucks, is that 335d and X5d will have automatic gearbox. I was hoping that we might have a rwd,diesel, manual gearbox, coupe or four door saloon....
Appreciate 0