BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Tinting

Having never sat, let alone driven-in, a car with any sort of tint, what is the appeal? Will tinting reducing cabin temperature during summer?

Any recommended degrees of tint?

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
redwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 328i

I'm not sure if 30 minutes north of Mexifornia means you are in Oregon, but it may not be a big deal there. Here in Texas, it keeps the car cooler, and also reduces sun damage to the interior. While I'm driving, the temp I feel is more consistent since I don't have the constant change between sun shining in the driver window and heating me up and needing to change the A/C. It also reduces glare from car headlights behind you at night. It's also harder to see in the car at night, thus making it harder for thieves to see what is in there and less likely to break in because of it.

Different states have different tint requirements, but if you have a state that allows you to go as dark as possible in the rear windows, don't do it. It will make it difficult to see out at night. In Texas, 25% of light passing through the tint is the darkest one can go on side windows, with any darkness in the rear (I've seen as low as 5% pass through). If you're not in a sunny/hot climate, I would not go that dark. If you are indeed in Oregon, it looks like 35% is the limit all around.

http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_benefits.html

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
bavarianbutcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

dono about that reducing the temp deal...but I think it def looks better. Another good use is it keeps ppl from being able to look into your car for items worth stealing if the tint is dark enough. And reduces the weirdness effect you get when you pull up next to someone at a stop light or pass you and the seem to sorta look at you and stare...That annoys me.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Thanks for the responses, guys. I might just get a tint after all.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Personnally I like the look of tint. I do it on my cars for that, and for the reduction in sun glare from the sides, and headlights at night through the rear.

Not sure if it keeps my car any cooler in summer, but then I don't have 5% all-around.

for driving, it's fine having 17% on the back and 35% on the frond sides. In an old car we had 5% on the back, and it kinda sucked for backing up at night, it was pretty hard to see anything out the back.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
bavarianbutcher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

the dealers (bmw) around here put on 20% upon request. I always prefer 20% and IF I get it on the 1er (probably will) I will def have the dealer put it on. Never would I get a botched job from the local car goons. Same % on the side windows and the back.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
new_one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Nice for looks and in the south anyway certainly helps with keeping some of the summer heat at bay.

Careful if you Tint though, each state has their own laws regarding what percentage you can go. The darker the lower the number/percentage.

Also many choices available for the type including some that won't interfere radio frequencies, etc. Just make sure to use a reputable local place that you have some good feedback from and use high quality stuff.

- Jim new_one
"All human interaction is mathematics and politics."
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
EarlArlington
Private
Rep
Drives:

I had my first tint job done about four years ago and it is a must for any car I own since then. It definetly helps with keeping the cabin cooler. On days when the sun is beaming hard and ur burning the a.c, it helps keep the cool air in and the hot sun out. I think you should do it. you wont be dissapointed.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Surname - depends on the tint material - I saw a demonstration of the Hueper Optik nano-ceramic material and it reduces temp - the dye based stuff did very little at all to reduce temps.
Appreciate 0