Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #1
Frankwhite23
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 f80, bmw 340i

F80 urgent need help!!!

Hello, I bought this F80 of which I got no previous history, the thing with it is that most of the time it drives normal like 95% of time but sometimes it just stutters badly and only thing I can do to help it is change gear with shifting paddle. Stuttering is real bad. I did check transmission oil levels and they are ok, ista+ shows no errors. What should I be looking for next?

Link for car behavior:
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #2
aliiin
I use my turn signal
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Uhhhhhhhhh, where is your airbag?
Appreciate 9
icegrill2080.50
RKP115.00
bmwbrad22249.00
swagon13552.50
9M711235.00
      02-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #3
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

That's the least of your problems……
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
Frankwhite23
Rep

Guys stock to the topic, thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:52 AM   #5
An20Olives
Senior VP of spite
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i, 11 335xi, 17 X3 M40i,

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2017 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Are there any codes at all? How many miles? Where did you get it from? Need more details to diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #6
Frankwhite23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by An20Olives View Post
Are there any codes at all? How many miles? Where did you get it from? Need more details to diagnose.
Quote:
No codes at all unfortunately, could this be differential fault?
I got it from auction, salvage title from IAAI, 83k myles Oregon state with awe tuning exhaust, doesn't seem like anything else been tuned not even tinted windows.

This fault only happens rarely
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 09:55 AM   #7
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
What mode are you driving in?
Sport plus has an extremely touchy throttle map, so if if you're not intent on quick inputs and acceleration it'll tend to buck at lower thresholds. I have this happen to me on occasion if I don't give it the juice she wants.

Also, higher DCT settings such as S3 are much more aggressive and can have the same effect.

Basically, if you try to ride a bull like you ride a pony, it's not going to work out very well. These cars generally need a firmer hand and can take some getting used to.

For Sale
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2022, 10:00 AM   #8
Frankwhite23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6 View Post
Sport plus has an extremely touchy throttle map, so if if you're not intent on quick inputs and acceleration it'll tend to buck at lower thresholds. I have this happen to me on occasion if I don't give it the juice she wants.

Also, higher DCT settings such as S3 are much more aggressive and can have the same effect.

Basically, if you try to ride a bull like you ride a pony, it's not going to work out very well. These cars generally need a firmer hand and can take some getting used to.
Quote:
I asked this some other friends that have or drove F80 F82 and this haven't happened to any of them, so this is not normal trust me
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:05 AM   #9
M4theWIN1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:

This! Sport plus and S3 will create this effect from a stop in 1st gear if you aren't careful with throttle response. All of us have experienced this and it takes time getting used to it. I've never experienced it though in 2nd gear like it appears you have in the video. It appears your car may be tuned as well with the burbles once you get out of the gas. You have come to a site to ask for advice from all that have had many years experience behind the wheel of an F80/F82. It looks like many things here need to be addressed with this car. Especially coming from salvage.
Appreciate 2
MJ6963.50
spidy512499.00
      02-06-2022, 12:00 PM   #10
Frankwhite23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4theWIN1 View Post
Quote:

This! Sport plus and S3 will create this effect from a stop in 1st gear if you aren't careful with throttle response. All of us have experienced this and it takes time getting used to it. I've never experienced it though in 2nd gear like it appears you have in the video. It appears your car may be tuned as well with the burbles once you get out of the gas. You have come to a site to ask for advice from all that have had many years experience behind the wheel of an F80/F82. It looks like many things here need to be addressed with this car. Especially coming from salvage.
Alright it seems that you must be right, because I got like 3 more people confirm me that if it happens in gear 1-2 it's normal and if it does in 3-4 like it did before gearbox recalibration than it's not normal, and recommended me to get the gearbox serviced and get the gts flash and that should minimise the issue. Don't hate on me coming from 340i, even if this m3 was salvage it still is my first m car and I love, also I don't live in a rich neighbourhood. Alright thanks for your input, appreciate your help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
bmwbrad22249.00
MJ6963.50
      02-06-2022, 12:11 PM   #11
bmwbrad22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18%E2%80%99 M3 Comp Pkg

Garage List
2018 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Congrats on joining the M club , as others have stated could just be driving mode and shift
Mode . But I would have it looked at would hate to do more damage if something isn't right.

2018 Mineral White M3 /// Comp Package
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #12
Frankwhite23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbrad22 View Post
Congrats on joining the M club , as others have stated could just be driving mode and shift
Mode . But I would have it looked at would hate to do more damage if something isn't right.
Yeah I'll get the gearbox serviced, and M4 GTS soft installed tomorrow will see how much of a difference it makes. One thing I'm happy about this car is that it came with awe tuning switch path exhaust, which costs 5k brand new, sound is crazy good and I can hear burbles like previous person mentioned, which I guess exhaust only without tune wouldn't be able to make, so the car must be tuned.
Appreciate 1
spidy512499.00
      02-06-2022, 03:15 PM   #13
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwhite23 View Post
Yeah I'll get the gearbox serviced, and M4 GTS soft installed tomorrow will see how much of a difference it makes. One thing I'm happy about this car is that it came with awe tuning switch path exhaust, which costs 5k brand new, sound is crazy good and I can hear burbles like previous person mentioned, which I guess exhaust only without tune wouldn't be able to make, so the car must be tuned.
Seeing as you're in Lithuania with an American car, can you please enlighten me as to why Lithuanians and Latvians import so many damaged US cars, even my friend from LT drives a US-spec car there
      02-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #14
Frankwhite23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankwhite23 View Post
Seeing as you're in Lithuania with an American car, can you please enlighten me as to why Lithuanians and Latvians import so many damaged US cars, even my friend from LT drives a US-spec car there
Because we can fix anything, and cars in USA auction usually are being sold for cheaper than they do for the same damaged car in Europe. Sorry for broken English, trying my best.

And actually it's not really American car it was build in Germany, only thing different is rear tailights and no rear fog light which both are easy to do to meet European standards.
Appreciate 1
Jbrown74032646.50
      02-06-2022, 03:57 PM   #15
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Your English is great! Much better than my Lithuanian!

I’m curious to know what all is involved (if you don’t mind sharing) with buying a salvaged US car, shipping to Lithuania and then making it roadworthy, both mechanically and cosmetically? You still come out ahead versus buying one in good nick?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 10:45 PM   #16
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Heya,

Def get the GTD tune. I just got mine doen last week, and since then it hasn"t "kangaroo'd" once.

It def took me a few weeks ot figure out how sensative the dance between the gas pedal and the DCT.

Great job on the front end....

josh
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:25 PM   #17
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

I highly recommend the GTS dct flash or the xhp tune for the dct. I would also look into getting the spark plugs replaced as well as an oil change and a diff fluid change seeing how you don't know the history
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:26 PM   #18
Frankwhite23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrown7403 View Post

I'm curious to know what all is involved (if you don't mind sharing) with buying a salvaged US car, shipping to Lithuania and then making it roadworthy, both mechanically and cosmetically? You still come out ahead versus buying one in good nick?
Quote:

I'm curious to know what all is involved (if you don't mind sharing) with buying a salvaged US car, shipping to Lithuania and then making it roadworthy, both mechanically and cosmetically? You still come out ahead versus buying one in good nick?
Well 99% of the cars are previously damaged and fixed here, just some are from Europe with their odometers rolled back that's why. It's no big deal to make F series meet European standards, like I said before rear fog light is a must and orange turn signals instead of the red like in USA. Other than that is just to fix the damage, and the price of what you pay for repair differ dramatically of what you would pay in USA for body work and what we pay here. For example it cost me 400 to put the car together, 350 for some frame alignment and 250 for painting rest was parts which are really expensive since I had to buy all the new oem ones, not so many m3 m4 breaking for parts here even though I was lucky to find some spares all across the Europe, engine hood, lci 2 headlights, front bumper from Germany. All the slam panel I had to buy from brand new parts excluding radiator pack with fan, and that's about it how I got fixed. It sits at 30k euro mark right now and cheapest m3 in the advertising is 40k with 100k km on it, little less than my but different color and of course no awe tuning exhaust like on my m3. Hope this answers you

And btw my car wasn't damaged that bad compared to what they fix and sell here, you would be shocked what the cars looked leaving USA and how good they look now, not saying I would recommend to buy one that's been damaged instead but they do damn good job to fix them. I'll check for some pictures of before and after for you latter

Photos is my first car from USA auction bought like 15 months ago and already sold, it was little to no damage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Jbrown74032646.50
      02-06-2022, 11:35 PM   #19
Frankwhite23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
Heya,

Def get the GTD tune. I just got mine doen last week, and since then it hasn"t "kangaroo'd" once.

It def took me a few weeks ot figure out how sensative the dance between the gas pedal and the DCT.

josh
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
Heya,

josh
Thank you, yes that will be done today and gearbox oil change ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:37 PM   #20
Frankwhite23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
I highly recommend the GTS dct flash or the xhp tune for the dct. I would also look into getting the spark plugs replaced as well as an oil change and a diff fluid change seeing how you don't know the history
Yes, will keep post updated after gts tune! Thank you

josh[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 02:48 AM   #21
Frankwhite23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliiin View Post
Uhhhhhhhhh, where is your airbag?
To whoever asking why my airbag is out, here's why
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 06:53 AM   #22
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

That sounds like a DCT "oscillation". I would use a tuning suite like BM3 to Reset Adaptations, and then re-train the computers by going through the gears one by one…first softly rev to 6K, then go to the next and next gear and do same. Then go medium pedal doing the gears, then go hard. Do this in each drive mode (comfort, sport and plus). This method seems to re-teach the computer how torque is applied so the DCT engages smoother.

Even after I've done this the oscillation still happens once in a while from a stop…

One more thing. From a stop to start moving I always do a "tap" on the gas pedal before pressing down. It makes the DCT engage the clutch before I ask for throttle.