Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Guardedgt4
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman gt4

New M3 owner here - exhaust/tuning/electronics questions

Hello Everyone,
My name is Joe and I would like to introduce myself to the forum. I am a 33 year old automobile enthusiast. Been playing with cars for a long time. I just sold my Porsche Cayman GT4 and purchased a new 2018 M3 Comp package car sunroof delete, carbon roof, mineral grey over black nicely loaded car, with a six speed manual. I know, I know what you guys are thinking, but unfortunately my family situation is changing my wife and I are expecting our second child any day now and the Porsche due to the 2 seats and impracticality and how anal I am am the car was seeing minimal useage. When I say minimum I only put about 800 miles on the car this whole past driving season. With that in mind and a little girl whos saying things like "daddy on sunday can I come to cars and coffee with you?" unfortunately my wife did not feel comfortable with me putting sofia 2 years 10 months so shes almost three in a booster seat on the passenger seat in th gt4. I had many arguments with my wife that its the same thing as long as the airbags are off however she doesn't see it that way. With the intentions of being able to fuel my daughters love for cars (which her mom hates!) I have given in and parted ways with my mistress in place of a more family oriented vehicle. When I was contemplating what to buy the m3 was the only choice really that came to mind in the under $100k price range that I could get in manual with a backseat and four doors was my preference to make it easy with the child seats. The new F80 m3 was the obvious choice. I got her a really nice britax harnessed booster for the m and she is loving it. All you here is daddy go faster coming from the back seat. (my wife is pissed!) Im loving it tho. Once my daughter can crawl in and out and strap herself in by herself my intentions are to get back into a Porsche, most likely a new turbo 911 Carrera gts two wheel drive. I will be watching the market on these as preowned cars start to hit the market. Cause honestly as far as the Porsche goes there is no substitute its pure driving euphoria. I would like to use this thread as a way to give off some of my thoughts on the m3. obviously I know the gt4 is a very tough act to follow and they are two different very different cars and that is not my intention to compare the 2. Also I have a few questions hoping you guys can help me out with some answers. Ill be looking to do basic bolt ons and flash the m3.

The sound of this car is one of the bigger issues for me, it just doesn't sound good. What exhaust do you guys prefer? Is the m performance exhaust the best out there? Saw a lot of positive reviews up here on the mpe. It is very expensive tho, the active autowerks looks nice as well. I had fabspeed on the gt4 I was happy with them.

Rev matching is there any way to activate it in sport plus? Could someone do this through the flash? The Porsche had really good rev matching so I hardly ever heal toe anymore. I like to be lazy and would like to hear the audio of the sport plus mode with the autoblip. is it possible?

electronics there is just way too many of them for my liking. how do you get everything off. when I say that I mean all the annoying drivers assistance aids? I would like them to be off all the time when I start the car and not have to constantly be shutting them down. I don't want to have to shut off 6 buttons everytime I start the car? my gt4 was a stripper so Im a less is more kinda guy

shifter and clutch pedal, I would like to tighten up the shifter a little the throws feel a tad long and rubbery and the clutch pedal feels a little spongey I guess is how you would describe it. The clutch is super light too. just would like to make the pedal feel a little better. I have a feeling that is what it is tho and theres nothing I can do about the pedal. Whats the preferred short throw kit you guys like?

ECU so as far as tuning I have always preferred a flash to a piggy back tuner. I have never experienced flawless driveability with any of the piggyback tuners ive used in the past on previous vehicles. ive been tunning vehicles since I flashed my 1.8t 2001 jetta when I was sixteen with apr. So I have had quite a few tuned cars since then. I care much much more about overall drive ability and reliable safe tuning then harnessing every last bit of hp out of the car. Any suggestions would be very much so appreciated.

Thank you everyone and I look forward to participating and contributing whatever I can to the board.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

MPE and Akrapovic. See http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=948153

No on rev-matching.

Read the manual, it will tell you how to turn the electronics off. Some cannot be turned off though.

Get a short shift kit and a sport clutch. This will help with the feel but will never be like your GT4. There are a couple of good ones on here (see below).

There a crap ton of flash tunes available. Popular one is the Bootmod3. These kind of questions are better answered here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=579

Also take advantage of the stickies in every subforum they are very helpful.

And lastly, congrats!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

welcome to the club. I'm in a similar situation. 33 y/o and a 2 year old daughter and one planned for next year. M3 was the only viable option.

Regarding the exhaust - are you sure you don't like it? I live in a community so it's kind of cool to be able to leave in a stealth mode and then open up the valves when I'm out. The I6 engine will never sound good...I hate the raspiness sometimes...

To use rev matching with the loud exhaust, all you have to do it shut the car down when it's in sport plus and valves are open. Then walk to the back, crawl under the car and disconnect the flap electrical connections. Next you'll not only start in loud exhaust mode but you will also get it in sport where you can use rev matching.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardedgt4 View Post

The sound of this car is one of the bigger issues for me, it just doesn't sound good. What exhaust do you guys prefer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
MPE and Akrapovic.
Don't listen to Scout, he got hit in the head a lot as a kid so he became a lawyer

It's Remus and AWE.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134947.00
      10-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardedgt4 View Post

The sound of this car is one of the bigger issues for me, it just doesn't sound good. What exhaust do you guys prefer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
MPE and Akrapovic.
Don't listen to Scout, he got hit in the head a lot as a kid so he became a lawyer

It's Remus and AWE.
Hahahahaha

Those two are good as well.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0