Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
88silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Ready to mod my new m4

I recently picked up a 2018 m4 zcp w/ dct. This week I will be completing my 1200 mile break in. In the last couple weeks I've been gathering parts I'd like to install but I also want to make sure everything will work out fine and if I should be expecting any issues? (mainly slipping w/ dct.) Also I had in mind to be running a few gallons of e85 with 91mix but from what I've read it seems like these motors are a little delicate with e85....?

Here's what I've gathered up so far
Jb4 w/ rev3
Vrsf cateless downpipes
Kw v3 coilovers
Works wheels + spacers
*Still need to get chargepipes before installing jb4/dp

Let me know what you guys think or recommend. I decided to go jb4 instead of flash because I had a very good experience with my last '14 335 msport jb4 fbo e85/91. Ran strong as hell with almost 0 issues. Loved it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-25-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

I don't believe you'll be running into clutch slippage very easily. The stock DCT can withstand a lot of torque. The general rule of thumb is you should look into Dodson/SSP clutch packs if you ever decide to go for upgraded turbos. I believe you'll run into issues at about 600 wtq.

In terms of E85 - I'm experiencing my own issues with it, but that's primarily due to the fact that I'm running a tank full of it, rather than a few gallons, and that I didn't do my due diligence. If anything, E85 wakes the car up and makes it pull hard as hell; when my car was running, E85 made the car pull frighteningly hard. If you're simply running a few gallons of it (typically E30 is a safe bet) then there's not much to be worried about. If you're willing to look into flash tunes, bootmod3 is the way to go IMO. This board is full of debates, but their stage 2 E30 map is apparently very fast. I say apparently because I've never experienced it myself. I ran a stage 2, 93 octane map for a while and loved it. I'm now running bootmod3 as a back end flash where a JB4 is the port/boost controller for my port injection kit. I seriously cannot say enough about PTF (creator of bootmod3) and their impeccable customer service.

As a preventative measure, you may want to look into 2 step colder spark plugs. Charge pipes are also a good idea as the stock ones are prone to failure even at stock boost.

If anything, you should be more worried about being able to actually put down all this potential power. Remember, you can have 700+whp, but it means nothing unless you can put it down. The MPSS are a joke, so be sure to upgrade to a better compound tyre.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:27 AM   #3
88silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
I don't believe you'll be running into clutch slippage very easily. The stock DCT can withstand a lot of torque. The general rule of thumb is you should look into Dodson/SSP clutch packs if you ever decide to go for upgraded turbos. I believe you'll run into issues at about 600 wtq.

In terms of E85 - I'm experiencing my own issues with it, but that's primarily due to the fact that I'm running a tank full of it, rather than a few gallons, and that I didn't do my due diligence. If anything, E85 wakes the car up and makes it pull hard as hell; when my car was running, E85 made the car pull frighteningly hard. If you're simply running a few gallons of it (typically E30 is a safe bet) then there's not much to be worried about. If you're willing to look into flash tunes, bootmod3 is the way to go IMO. This board is full of debates, but their stage 2 E30 map is apparently very fast. I say apparently because I've never experienced it myself. I ran a stage 2, 93 octane map for a while and loved it. I'm now running bootmod3 as a back end flash where a JB4 is the port/boost controller for my port injection kit. I seriously cannot say enough about PTF (creator of bootmod3) and their impeccable customer service.

As a preventative measure, you may want to look into 2 step colder spark plugs. Charge pipes are also a good idea as the stock ones are prone to failure even at stock boost.

If anything, you should be more worried about being able to actually put down all this potential power. Remember, you can have 700+whp, but it means nothing unless you can put it down. The MPSS are a joke, so be sure to upgrade to a better compound tyre.
2 step colder spark plugs? I'm not sure I follow you. What does that mean and what will it do for me?
As for tires, I do have the works wrapped w/ falken azenis fk453
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Very nice mod list

+1 on adding a charge pipe

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

painted side/rear reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:26 AM   #6
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW LCI F80///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88silverbullet View Post
Quote:

2 step colder spark plugs? I'm not sure I follow you. What does that mean and what will it do for me?
As for tires, I do have the works wrapped w/ falken azenis fk453
Go to NGK 97506 Plugs gapped to .018-020 when running higher PSI/Race gas/E85 etc

You can get some misfiring at higher PSI.

Charge Pipes are good to have done for prevention, but I have also ran stock Charge Pipes up to 28 PSI.

PAST
F80 LCI/M3/AW FBO BM3 Cary Tuned Meth/Pure Stage 2
F36 CB 435i FBO
F15 GS X5 50i Tune
F10 AW 550i Loaded/Tune/M5 Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
88silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep

I'll pick up some plugs too.
Ya I dont want to risk it with the stock cp. I remember on my 335 fbo my stock cp cracked. The funny thing is that I didn't notice until I replaced. Weird how the car ran strong with no issues and who knows how long it was running that way.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Please post pics when wheels are mounted!!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Quote:
Ya I dont want to risk it with the stock cp. I remember on my 335 fbo my stock cp cracked. The funny thing is that I didn't notice until I replaced. Weird how the car ran strong with no issues and who knows how long it was running that way.
I believe that the new firmware for all JB4's will not support downpipe installation. They got fined or something from the EPA
Its on Terry's forum N54tech.com
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #10
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:

You ran a whole tank of straight E85?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #11
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudVIII View Post
Go to NGK 97506 Plugs gapped to .018-020 when running higher PSI/Race gas/E85 etc

You can get some misfiring at higher PSI.

Charge Pipes are good to have done for prevention, but I have also ran stock Charge Pipes up to 28 PSI.
This^^^^^

These are actually 1-step colder than stock (N55/S55) and 2-steps colder than stock (N54).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
88silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTalent View Post
Will do. I just completed 1200 mile break in and took my car in for service this morning. I?m excited because this now means I can install everything without any worries. Unfortunately I will not have time this week and will have to wait until the following weekend. In the meantime I need to pick up new plugs and have everything set and ready to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 10:33 AM   #13
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTalent View Post
Will do. I just completed 1200 mile break in and took my car in for service this morning. I?m excited because this now means I can install everything without any worries. Unfortunately I will not have time this week and will have to wait until the following weekend. In the meantime I need to pick up new plugs and have everything set and ready to go.
Why would you be worried before the break in oil change just out of curiosity? Every service can be an issue when modding
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
88silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep

Because I know myself lol. Once I get everything installed, my lead foot will constantly come into play. I tried my best to not get too crazy during the first 1200 miles but of course there were a handful of times I had to get on it just to get a feel.
My SA is super cool and mod friendly. I?m definitely not worried about taking it in with my mods unless its warranty related.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
Yas__Plz
Daily Driven
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Yas Marina M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Should definitely do these the same time that you do your chargepipes, otherwise you're gonna have to remove them at a later date
      10-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #16
THEROK
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Genesis GV80

Never understood why people get aftermarket wheels to only subject their cars and themselves to wheel spacers. Get wheels that fit right.
      10-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #17
88silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas__Plz View Post
Quote:
Should definitely do these the same time that you do your chargepipes, otherwise you're gonna have to remove them at a later date
Most definitely! Suspension/ wheels will be done together.
All engine mods will be installed together as well. Either way, Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #18
88silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep

After a few weeks of being so busy with work and ife, I was finally able to make time today and get my coilovers and wheels mounted. I still have some minor adjustments to do and take for a test run but I?m very happy with how it?s coming out.
I have a long day tomorrow which will include changing spark plugs, charge pipe, down pipes and jb4. We?ll see how far I get lol. Here?s a few pics even though she filthy right now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #19
acarrick29
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

I’d get charge pipes. Piece of mind is worth 300.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #20
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

+1 on Charge pipes
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 11:15 AM   #21
88silverbullet
Private First Class
Rep

Chargepipes, down pipes, spark plugs gapped .018, JB4, all installed yesterday. I swear my back felt like it was going to snap!lol those downpipes were such a PITA but I?m happy to say it?s all complete and I did it all solo. 1 man team this weekend
Thank mike@x-ph.com for the chargepipes
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #22
Lee808
Out in the middle of the sea
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Chargepipes, down pipes, spark plugs gapped .018, JB4, all installed yesterday. I swear my back felt like it was going to snap!lol those downpipes were such a PITA but I?m happy to say it?s all complete and I did it all solo. 1 man team this weekend
Thank mike@x-ph.com for the chargepipes
Nice! JB4 connections behind the coolant reduced was a pain. Had to get an extra set of smaller hands to help. Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0