proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
Tobes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 SO/BL

Strange thud on gear shift

Taking the car in on Monday to get it looked at, but here is what is going on. When I shift from 3rd to 4th on the DCT I hear what sounds like a faint thud that sounds like its coming from the transmission. Seems to be louder when shifting at higher RPMs. Any ideas on what may be causing this? I few weeks ago I did get a message on startup that said something to the effect that there was something wrong with the transmission and to drive it cautiously. I stoped and restarted the car and never got the message again. The car has been in for normal service since the message but must not have popped a code for the dealership (unless they don't bring things up without the customer asking).
      07-31-2017, 07:14 AM   #2
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

Never had such a message pop up on both my M cars, definitely get it checked out and mention to them about it. The transmission should be smooth and no noise with shifts with so much engineering going into it. Do you drive the car very harshly or launch mode it alot? Wondering if its user error or car error but our cars should be able to handle it so take it to dealership and let them handle. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
Tobes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyMedicated View Post
Never had such a message pop up on both my M cars, definitely get it checked out and mention to them about it. The transmission should be smooth and no noise with shifts with so much engineering going into it. Do you drive the car very harshly or launch mode it alot? Wondering if its user error or car error but our cars should be able to handle it so take it to dealership and let them handle. Good luck
Car has never been launched, and I would not say that I drive it that aggressively at all. That being said, it did make the noise for the service folks today and their answer is I get a new transmission. Thank goodness for warranty. Hopefully back to healthy status by the end of the week. Now to go get the extended warranty for the car ?
      07-31-2017, 11:07 PM   #4
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

Glad it worked out, definitely shouldn't hear such a sound in a smooth new transmission. For extended warranty search the forums, some people have luck with 3rd partry warranty and some people go thru bmw...research and don't get stuck with a warranty that doesn't take care of the warranty owner!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
Tobes
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

All is once again good. Back to a healthy transmission. Only took a couple of days to get it in and it was on the car and ready to go the next day. Glad they just decided to replace the whole darn thing instead of breaking into in and trying to find the culprit. Might have been chasing ghosts for a while. Clunking is definitely gone