Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW F80 M3

MPE Muffler quieter than Stock muffler

Anyone here using aftermarket midpipe like AA with MPE axelback muffler? If so did you notice that MPE is quieter than stock exhaust? After speaking with my installer, we think it may be caused by the smaller pipes in the middle (the outsides are same size as stock.)

Tone is definitely better with the deepness and raspiness, but volume was disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #2
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Damn, must have something to do with the stock pipes used to connect the AA to the MPE
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM4Dominate View Post
Damn, must have something to do with the stock pipes used to connect the AA to the MPE
Has nothing to do with that, they are the same size on outside and stock has bigger pipes than MPE on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

I have a different mid pipe paired with my MPE. It's awesomely louder.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Which midpipe you use? Did you have midpipe installed first or MPE?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:34 PM   #6
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexone View Post
Quote:
MPE first for a month or two. The MPE seemed to me right off the bat that it was louder than stock or at least it sounded way better. No question about what is louder now. I went with the Fabspeed mid pipe. I plan to write a review on this forum about my experience with it soon.

Also, the MPE pipes slide over the stock pipes so they have to be the same size or slightly larger than stock at least where the pipes connect.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 10:55 PM   #7
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
MPE first for a month or two. The MPE seemed to me right off the bat that it was louder than stock or at least it sounded way better. No question about what is louder now. I went with the Fabspeed mid pipe. I plan to write a review on this forum about my experience with it soon.

Also, the MPE pipes slide over the stock pipes so they have to be the same size or slightly larger than stock at least where the pipes connect.
Yeah that is different, Full MPE will sound definitely sound louder than full stock. And if you cut MPE midpipes to fit the Fab mid you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between fab mid with MPE vs fab mid with stock muffler.

With the understanding that "usually" midpipes affect volume and mufflers affect tone, one would guess that MPE muffler would only affect tone, but in my case it affected both tone and volume.

From speaking to a few people this may be caused by the size of the smaller pipes in the center of MPE which is about 1 inch smaller than the stock mufflers middle pipes. And to a lesser degree the MPE tips since they are resonated.

Hard to say, but from all the exhaust shops I spoke to before install, the middle pipes on MPE muffler is uniquely small compared to almost all other exhaust systems they worked on.

So the reason why order matters in your case is because you are essentially comparing MPE midpipe vs an after market midpipe which the after market one will almost always win in terms of loudness since BMW has to design their midpipes to meet certain codes where after market can get away with a little more.

What I really want to compare is how does the MPE muffler affect the volume vs other mufflers
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #8
tonywham
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 ZCP

I found the sound was quieter then stock zcp after installing the AA mid pipe, but after three weeks, it sounded definitely louder and deeper... I asked that on the forum, and thought there was something wrong with installation, but looks like AA mid might have to adapt with mufflers sometimes
Appreciate 2
hexone36.50
dr.roro195.50
      07-26-2017, 01:20 AM   #9
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

This is not what I'm hoping for lol... I just got my M Performance Muffler and I'm dropping it off to get installed onto my AA Midpipe. If it doesn't get louder that will be a major disappointment!

JD
Appreciate 1
hexone36.50
      07-26-2017, 09:12 AM   #10
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDE92M3 View Post
This is not what I'm hoping for lol... I just got my M Performance Muffler and I'm dropping it off to get installed onto my AA Midpipe. If it doesn't get louder that will be a major disappointment!

JD
Keep me in the loop, is like to know your thoughts. Did you have a different muffler with aa mid pipe before switching to MPE
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywham View Post
I found the sound was quieter then stock zcp after installing the AA mid pipe, but after three weeks, it sounded definitely louder and deeper... I asked that on the forum, and thought there was something wrong with installation, but looks like AA mid might have to adapt with mufflers sometimes
I hope this is the the case for me, but I have my doubts since both are used
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:30 AM   #12
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Keep me in the loop, is like to know your thoughts. Did you have a different muffler with aa mid pipe before switching to MPE
Currently running AA Midpipe and stock muffler with flaps open. Love the tone, just wish the sound was a little louder. That's why I bought the M Performance Miffler in hope that the noise levels would increase. If that's not the case then it was kind of a waste of time/money lol.

JD
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #13
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Currently running AA Midpipe and stock muffler with flaps open. Love the tone, just wish the sound was a little louder. That's why I bought the M Performance Miffler in hope that the noise levels would increase. If that's not the case then it was kind of a waste of time/money lol.

JD
I had aa mid and stock exhaust with vrsf DPs and it sounded like a rocketship lol

Either way the tone did change and has a lower more throaty sound but volume on my install was definitely softer
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #14
tonywham
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I had aa mid and stock exhaust with vrsf DPs and it sounded like a rocketship lol

Either way the tone did change and has a lower more throaty sound but volume on my install was definitely softer
my case was especially softer then before at cold start...and I think right now it is still just at the same level as before when cold, just when it warms up, everything becomes sweet
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 03:27 AM   #15
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

hexone is your car this loud? Seems like he has the exact same setup I'll have. And it seems that the top end of the MPE with AA Midpipe gets rowdy. Low end might not be so different.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #16
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
hexone is your car this loud? Seems like he has the exact same setup I'll have. And it seems that the top end of the MPE with AA Midpipe gets rowdy. Low end might not be so different.

Yeah, hard to tell the volume but it sounds similar. Car is still decently loud, just not as loud as it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 11:13 PM   #17
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, hard to tell the volume but it sounds similar. Car is still decently loud, just not as loud as it used to be.
Are you running in Efficient mode or Sport mode do you know if the valves are open or closed?? Did you check to make sure they were installed correctly/are still working? When the flaps are open the exhaust is practically straight pipes whether using the MPE or the stock muffler.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:13 AM   #18
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you running in Efficient mode or Sport mode do you know if the valves are open or closed?? Did you check to make sure they were installed correctly/are still working? When the flaps are open the exhaust is practically straight pipes whether using the MPE or the stock muffler.
Sports, and Yes to all of the above lol. I just came to the conclusion that the mpe is just a well built exhaust and does what exhausts are supposed to do and suppress sound. It changed the tone and that's all I can ask for I guess
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #19
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Sports, and Yes to all of the above lol. I just came to the conclusion that the mpe is just a well built exhaust and does what exhausts are supposed to do and suppress sound. It changed the tone and that's all I can ask for I guess
did you install *just* the muffler or the full MPE with the axel back piping? the muffler changes the tone., but the increase in volume is due to getting rid of the stock resonator.

that being said, I personally want my MPE to be louder as well.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #20
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Quote:
did you install *just* the muffler or the full MPE with the axel back piping? the muffler changes the tone., but the increase in volume is due to getting rid of the stock resonator.

Getting rid of the secondary cats does the job. If you get rid of all the cats it'll probably be crazy loud.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #21
hexone
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Quote:

Getting rid of the secondary cats does the job. If you get rid of all the cats it'll probably be crazy loud.
All my cars a res are gone
Appreciate 0