Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

disabled active sound (with valve controller), so quiet now it's shocking

Hey Guys,

I recently installed a Macht snell valve controller and disabled the active sound. I was shocked how quiet the car was after.. and how little of the exhaust or engine sound you actual hear. I can see why BMW went to great lengths to use the speakers to correct this.

Even with the valves fully open on the exhaust, you only get a loud rasp at WOT.. other than that there's not much drama when you rev in the middle of the RPM band.

Pretty sad actually, would it of really been that hard to pipe in some intake noise (I know turbos make the engine quiet), but a tube running from the manifold to the firewall could of worked.

Anyways.. I can see why now everyone upgrades the exhaust.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I think the stock exhaust with valves open and active sound disabled sounds great. Plenty of exhaust noise inside the cabin for me. The exhaust note actually matches the engine rpms which is nice. With the active sound on it's just the same constant sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

How many miles on your car? I've noticed my setup getting slightly louder over time (recently passed 6,000 miles on mine). I have also noticed it gets louder as the engine gets warmer. I also removed the ASD module and prefer the car this way.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

About 9k on my car. I think I can live with valves fully open and active sound at this point. Louder exhaust only impresses people outside.
Appreciate 0