GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

07-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Lightbulb Stutter Between Shifts @ WOT?

So, I have 4,000 miles on the car, and have Downpipe, Midpipe and AA Rear (and BMS Intake with zero issues at idle etc)

So today I found myself next to a newer mustang Conv who kept doing ricer flybys and we found ourselves at a traffic light. I dont "normally" drag race from traffic lights but this is the first time I had an opportunity with the car so I went for it.

Throttle was Sport +, DSC OFF, Shifting was S3 and suspension in Comfort. I didnt activate launch control, just mashed it off the line. I beat the Mustang by a bus length or so to third but when I shifted from 1 -2 the car Had a dead spot. It wasnt a stutter/Misfire but felt like Traction Control was on. Didnt hear anything but car definitely hesitated when I shifted from first to second.

Anyone else randomly experience this? Kind of annoying. Normally I hear a chirp from 1-2 .................
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
So, I have 4,000 miles on the car, and have Downpipe, Midpipe and AA Rear (and BMS Intake with zero issues at idle etc)

So today I found myself next to a newer mustang Conv who kept doing ricer flybys and we found ourselves at a traffic light. I dont "normally" drag race from traffic lights but this is the first time I had an opportunity with the car so I went for it.

Throttle was Sport +, DSC OFF, Shifting was S3 and suspension in Comfort. I didnt activate launch control, just mashed it off the line. I beat the Mustang by a bus length or so to third but when I shifted from 1 -2 the car Had a dead spot. It wasnt a stutter/Misfire but felt like Traction Control was on. Didnt hear anything but car definitely hesitated when I shifted from first to second.

Anyone else randomly experience this? Kind of annoying. Normally I hear a chirp from 1-2 .................
If you had DSC off, sounds like maybe you went just a bit too high in the revs and touched the limiter as you shifted?

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 2
CPWINCH733.50
      07-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Now! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post

If you had DSC off, sounds like maybe you went just a bit too high in the revs and touched the limiter as you shifted?

Cheers
Agreed, I was thinking about it last night amd started shaking my head like Duh.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Now! View Post

Cheers
I agree!

I had a similar run in today with a Mclaren 570s. We were next to each other at a light and I did launch control and we both went at it. It was dead even up to 85 where he stopped. I think he had traction control on and he definitely didnt have launch control on but i was seriously surprised. He probably pulled a quarter car length if that.

Stock engine, with full exhaust and weight reduction on my car